Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Tennis Canada have an an additional incentive for Raonic and Bouchard if they win Wimbledon (of course, I am just theoretically saying that)? I mean, both now are in a Semis in Wimbledon and winning would probably boost tennis interest there significantly. Probably a good welcome home too if they win.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Does Tennis Canada have an an additional incentive for Raonic and Bouchard if they win Wimbledon (of course, I am just theoretically saying that)? I mean, both now are in a Semis in Wimbledon and winning would probably boost tennis interest there significantly. Probably a good welcome home too if they win.
No idea. And they have already "boosted" interest in the sport: Muglos' goofy looking face is constantly on tv. At least Bouchard is nice to look at.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Totally. This last year has been a dream for Tennis Canada.
Raonic vs Prospisil in the Canadian Open semis last summer, then the runs Genie Bouchard has had at all the Grand Slams this year, and now Milos joining her in making the final four at Wimbledon.
I have no idea if they are getting a bonus, but it's the best thing that's ever happened to Tennis in this country.

·
Administrator
14,824 Posts
Last year's Davis Cup run to the semis, plus Raonic's rise and the Raonic/Pospisil SF in Montreal have done wonders. Raonic's consistency this year and Bouchard's rise have just increased it that much more. It's great to see and with only a handful of Canadian Tennis players some (not all) of us do tend to be a bit 'nationalistic' and cheer for them because they are Canadian.

They've been airing ads during tennis commercial breaks targeting kids who don't want to play hockey to try tennis instead. So seeing Canadian players do well and go deep into majors is good for Tennis Canada.

I'm not sure if they are given extra incentive or not, but Raonic has stated that raising the profile of tennis in Canada is not one of his goal, personal goals are what he's set, but it's a nice side effect. So I'm not sure there is extra incentive. Is that even legal? Can countries tennis federations give extra incentive to regular events? I can understand extra incentive for Davis and Fed Cup but not regular tournaments.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Tennis Canada paid for Milos and Eugenie in terms of coaching they both trained at the national tennis center in Montreal. Tennis Canada also found Galo Blanco Milos first real coach at the elite level.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Both are still receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in financial aid.

Both Raonic and Bouchard's will get all the night sessions they want in Canada and there will be something special for them for their first match.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Don't be daft, Prysse. Do you know what the Wimbledon prize money is? Nearly $3 million USD. Then endorsement contracts from corporations on top of that? Tennis Canada doesn't have that kind of money. Anything they could offer would look like pocket change in comparison. No one's being motivated by that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts