Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching Rafa's truly pathetic attempts to beat Nalbandian by failing to alter his game one iota over a eight game streak, it has become clear. Rafael needs a new coach...or a coach to work with Uncle Toni.

Albert Einstein said that "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Case in point: one Rafael Nadal this past Sunday.

Rafael CLEARLY has the ability to mix up his improved game to compete with even King Roger ("owner":rolleyes:, according to the Wonderful World of Disney, owner of Excalibur) and David of the House of Nalbandian. Rafa CAN flatten his forehand. Rafa CAN attack the net. Rafa CAN serve to different locations. However, Uncle Toni appears satisfied to run his gifted protege into the ground...watching time and time again as matches turn into the wars of attrition...where the battle is won...but the war is lost.

PLEASE, Uncle Toni: contact Mats Wilander. He would be the perfect coach to take Rafa to the next level. And, if you can somehow get a few pointers from the "how to win ugly" Brad Gilbert...even better.

But do so now...for while the door may soon be closing on Mr. Federer, it appears a window may indeed be opening for Mr. Nalbandian.

·
Registered
27,355 Posts

·
Motherhater
5,571 Posts
I don't think Uncle Toni's the problems.

Plus losing to a player twice on your worst surface isn't enough to change coaches.

Replacing Toni would be a huge mistake. And I don't expect it to happen.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Sawan's back :D

Oh and no, I don't think he needs a new coach. He's not going to be able to change his game that much at this stage in his career.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and no, I don't think he needs a new coach.
Perhaps you are correct. Rafa is probably very comfortable under Uncle Toni's tutelage. However, a coach who could come in to tweak and work with strategy: ladies and gentlemen, I give you Mats Wilander.

Much like Mr. Cahill to Agassi, a coach who could tweak his game would be ideal.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Glad to see you back here Sawan!

Ever thought about the idea that it wasn't just as much Raf's failure, but rather Nalby's *exquisite playing* that brought the latter the well-deserved victory? :p

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nadal said in his article in this month's Tennis magazine that he has no intention of getting a new coach or working with anyone else besides his uncle. Poor kid is afraid to break the family barrier and strike out on his own. Kinda sad.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ever thought about the idea that it wasn't just as much Raf's failure, but rather Nalby's *exquisite playing* that brought the latter the well-deserved victory?
A valid point, no doubt. However, what this match CLEARLY shows is that there IS a clear way to defeat Rafa...Nalbandian worked it out to near perfection. However, much like the metamorphosis evident in nature, Rafa needs to GROW as a player...or face the prospect of future struggles along these lines.

Rafa's comments represent the folly of youth. While the energy of youth is a potent flame to be tapped, the experience of age is a potent water to quench the flame of others.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Nadal said in his article in this month's Tennis magazine that he has no intention of getting a new coach or working with anyone else besides his uncle. Poor kid is afraid to break the family barrier and strike out on his own. Kinda sad.
Good for Rafa! He obviously knows what's best for him, and that might well be to continue with Tio Toni, who he trusts, and who brought him so much of his successes already. :worship:

No problem at all, and why, WHY do so many of posters still address Rafa as a 'kid'? :confused:
He's a VERY mature young man by now, and obviously knows what's best for him by now! :angel:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Obviously after winning three consecutive French opens, reaching two consecutive Wimbledon finals, winning 9 TMS tournies, and having the most ranking points in history besides Federer, he should drop his coach because he got spanked on his worst surface by a former world number three who is playing the best tennis of his career. Makes perfect sense really, his game is in total shambles, he's already peaked, he's physically exhausted, he's a one trick pony, and he'll probably be lucky to win another match on tour.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
No problem at all, and why, WHY do so many of posters still address Rafa as a 'kid'? :confused:
He's a VERY mature young man by now, and obviously knows what's best for him by now! :angel:
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing for a while. He's twenty one people! Last time I checked that's the age of an adult. Not to mention he's always been quite mature.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
It doesn't matter whether he stays or goes, the burnout centre is waiting for this juiced up idiot.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't matter whether he stays or goes, the burnout centre is waiting for this juiced up idiot.
Your "intelligent" comment truly reveals that you are a man of extreme values. Given the fact that I'm SURE you've a understanding of the meaning of libel, you would NEVER go so far as to present false statements as actual fact.

Just to clarify, and to ensure you are ready to LEGALLY stand by your statement about Rafa, here is is some food for thought:

Libel and slander are legal claims for false statements of fact about a person that are printed, broadcast, spoken or otherwise communicated to others. Libel generally refers to statements or visual depictions in written or other permanent form. While on many of these issues the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, the primary defenses to a defamation claim are that the statements are true
For the record, I would LOVE to see your references about Rafa's being "juiced".

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
One of the best things tio Toni has done was creating a mentally strong player, without him Rafa would probably be one of the choking tantrum throwing players. So beside using his raw talent, shaping it and making him one of the best players in the world he menaged to shape him mentally, to create a player that doesn't give up no matter how bad he's losing, a player that doesn't respond to provocations from either stands or the court etc.
So no, i don't think that he should find another coach. After all he did improve on hard court, as well as grass, so it would be a lil too pretentious to think that if he found a new coach that he would win all tournaments from Wimbledon to AO.
My tip to tio Toni would be "smart" schedule = optimal season

·
Registered
677 Posts
He should leave his game alone, and base his season on winning the French Open. See how many he can compile.
To win a different major, he needs a lot to go right, and it's crazy to tinker too much with his game when he might be the greatest clay courter ever.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's absurd for him to fire Uncle Tony, obviously, but I think everyone that thinks he shouldn't get some outside help is just reacting negatively because of how annoying all these threads are and about the silly reasons they're created for. The reason this thread was created was because Nalby keeps beating Rafa, but that actually is reason for Rafa getting outside help, not because he lost a couple of times to one of the most talented players of this generation at his peak, but because that player was likely able to get to his peak because he got a new coach. Nalby improved his serve at age 25 or 26, I don't remember...why can't Rafa improve his at age 21? There are a lot of areas Rafa needs to improve, and there are a lot of people that can help him. It's stupid for him to just listen to one guy, no matter how far he's brought him, he can go further, and to do so he needs outside help.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I don't think Uncle Toni's the problems.

Plus losing to a player twice on your worst surface isn't enough to change coaches.

Replacing Toni would be a huge mistake. And I don't expect it to happen.
No...His game is the problem..Even when he wins, hes winning with difficulty now. After that Baghdatis match, i was sure hed lose the final. baghdatis really played a better match..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts