Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Brasilian Guga fans:

I see in the TMS Madrid forum that you will be getting some sort of special channel so you can see all of Guga's matches. As an American with horrible coverage, I beg of you to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us about Guga's matches, until the possibility that we might see him later in the tournament (but that will only happen if all of the Americans fall out really early :rolleyes: ).

We Americans (as well as other countries that have drek coverage) will be eternally grateful!!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Its not a special channel, but a cable channel that has coverage for the Masters events, and they show ALL Guga´s matches for us. Its indeed wonderful. :D
I can give you guys info untill Thursday, when Ill be travelling for the weekend. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
About TMS Madrid, I am happy that someone decided to post about this tournament. The better Guga does, the longer this thread lasts. Seriously, Hitman pointed out how tough Guga's draw is, but I am not worried. If he loses early or wins the whole thing, the most important thing is that he played and tried his best. I do not know about the rest of you, but I am not a fan of Guga the player but Guga the spirit. There is a warmth that emanates from him that I just can not stop thinking about. As the teenage vernacular goes, I am O.D'ing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Woohoo! A TMS Madrid thread! First of all, I was kind of shocked to see that they were giving all of the seeds byes for the first round, they don't usually do this for Masters Series, do they?

I'm greatful to everyone that has agreed to give us tournament updates. Americans are actually getting coverage on Thursday on ESPN! Yeah!

Guga does have a really hard draw, Srichaphan first round, and then Henman 2nd round. But I have faith that Guga will win!!! To me, he's still the best in the world! :D

Poor Andre, did you see he lost first round to Gonzalez?? I was sad... :sad:

tommyboy, I'm a fan of both Guga the player and the person inside. I love his style of play, especially his one handed backhand, that is hott! :hearts: But Guga seems like a down-to-earth person. He's so honest, and he has a heart of gold, the way he donates time and money to his institute and the APAE. He's a wonderful person. It seems he hasn't really let fame go to his head (except for maybe with the ladies, hehe :p). He remembers his roots. He's a great role model for everyone. That's what I love most about him.

Alright, I'm sure you guys are tired of this by now, so I'm going to go and study for my Biology test tomorrow!!

Love,
Liz :kiss:

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the official site:

Can Guga Fend Off Thai's Soaring Srichaphan?

By Richard Evans - Tennis Radio Network

If Paradorn Srichaphan had drawn Gustavo Kurten in the first round a year ago, the Thai No. 1 would have found himself playing the World No 1. But a lot can happen in 12 months and, in Kuerten's case, not all of it has been good.

Surgery on his hip early in the year sent the Brazilian's ranking plummeting, and although all seems well now, Guga has still not been able to climb high enough to warrant a seeding position. Despite reaching the final of Lyon last week, he is still only at No. 35 on the Entry System.

But Srichaphan will not be fooled by numbers when he walks onto the splendid Pista Central at the Casa de Campo here in Madrid. Even though the pair have never met before, he knows how dangerous Kuerten can be and the Thai will need to hold on to all the self confidence he gained through beating Andre Agassi at Wimbledon - and going to win his first-ever ATP title at Long Island in August - if he is to prevent Kuerten from progressing to a second round meeting with Tim Henman.

That match will be preceeded by Arnaud Clement's encounter with Feliciano Lopez, one of nine Spaniard's in the draw, and, with the Davis Cup final against Russia looming, the little Frenchman will be anxious to maintain his recent improvement in form.

Carlos Moya, one of the most popular players in the history of Spanish tennis, will try and take another step toward qualification for the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai by handling the firepower of Fernando Gonzalez in a second round duel. When they met for the first time earlier in the year, the young Chilean scored an easy 6-4, 6-2 victory but this time it promises to be closer.

Juan Carlos Ferrero, currently the top-ranked Spaniard, will then give the enthusiastic Madrid tennis fans more to cheer when he takes on the dangerous Finn, Jarkko Nieminen who scored a narrow victory over Rainer Schuettler in the first round Monday.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Guga plays the second match of the day tomorrow, and Ill be here for live scores :bounce:

I hope he´s better from the exhaustion he felt on Sunday, and maybe a little luck won´t hurt.
So, Good Luck, GUGA!
:D

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Btw, thanks for the article, TH! :wavey:

·
Registered
18,861 Posts
well, Guga was surely really tired after a great week in Lyon.. he'll be back in Paris where he'll win many matches and go further than we all think, I'm sure of that! Go Guga, let's go to Paris!

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another official article . . .

The Best of Two Sports Unite

Several players at the Tennis Masters Madrid met some of their own sporting heroes Tuesday when they visited with members of the world-renowned soccer club Real Madrid at the team's home, the Ciudad Deportiva del Real Madrid.

Among the players that visited the highly touted team's morning practice were Argentinians David Nalbandian, Mariano Zabaleta and Guillermo Coria, Brazil's Andre Sa, Belgian Xavier Malisse, and Leander Paes of India. Real Madrid captain Fernando Hierro invited the tennis stars to take the field when the team's captain, Fernando Hierro, where they took shots at goaltender César with mixed results.

Many of the players were most eager to meet Real Madrid players Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, Brazilian superstars who signed several jerseys. Later in the day, Roberto Carlos and fellow Brazilian Real Madrid star Flavio Coneicao returned the favor by attending afternoon matches at the Tennis Masters Madrid, cheering on their ill-fated countryman Gustavo Kuerten.

·
Registered
18,861 Posts
(Article translated from Portuguese)
Kuerten blames "lack of time" for defeat in Madrid
15/10/2002 to 19h13
Madrid (Spain) - the maratona of games for which passed in the last week, in Lyon, was the main cause of the defeat of Gustavo Kuerten in the estréia in the Masters Series of Madrid, in Spain. The opinion is of the proper tenista, that in this tuesday was defeated by the tailandês Paradorn Srichaphan for 2 sets the 0, with double 6/4.

According to Guga, that in the sunday if sagrou runner-up in the carpet of Lyon, the reduced interval between the two competitions hindered that it prepared itself adequately for the penultimate Masters Series of the season.

"I arrived very in top of the hour in Madrid, but also it did not have another skill. If it had had more time to prepare me for the game, trained more in this squares, the things could have been different ", laments Guga, that has as better resulted in 2002 the heading of Brazil Open.

"But the face (Srichaphan) used to advantage the possibilities of it, saw that I was not in mine better and he was aggressive the time all. I really was not in mine better today and my concentration finished running away at the moments most important ", analyzed.

Kuerten is now one week moved away from the circuit and alone it comes back to you square them from day 28, for the dispute of the Masters Series of Paris, its last tournament in the year. The player arrived received it an invitation from the organizadores of the ATP of Estocolmo to participate of the competition, but he decided not to modify its agenda.

"I did not have time to prepare me to play in Madrid, but still I have plus a tournament this year, that is in Paris. I am very happy with my results in the last months and wait to finish the year with plus some victories ", complete the best player it country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts