Mens Tennis Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Max Purcell
2,646 Posts
The Gen should be named by the most successful player of said generation, except for Lost Gen as there are none of those. I propose MedGen for the NextGen, it rhymes well. After that, SinGen.

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
Maybe we should create a thread to give them a name? I think names like NextGen and FutureGen are not very useful except if you plan on renaming them later, because every generation at some point will become an old generation. The problem is of course that when they are young you don't yet know what they should be named after...
You are completely right. So maybe nextgen title automatically will be removed and transferred once they passed a certain age.
LostGen only came to surface due to the GoldenGen Big Three primarily. There were like 3-5 different generations where Big Three played and competed seriously. And we never had established names for them. Because Big Three overshadowed it as the GoldenGen.

So we can agree on having NextGen as the temporarily title but will give every generation a title in time. We can just pick anything practically and vote for it. Majority decides.

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
You are completely right. So maybe nextgen title automatically will be removed and transferred once they passed a certain age.
LostGen only came to surface due to the GoldenGen Big Three primarily. There were like 3-5 different generations where Big Three played and competed seriously. And we never had established names for them. Because Big Three overshadowed it as the GoldenGen.

So we can agree on having NextGen as the temporarily title but will give every generation a title in time. We can just pick anything practically and vote for it. Majority decides.
Lostgen also had to compete against Ferrer, Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga, etc.

All of these guys were much better in 2012-2016 ish.

Reactions: VyRa | esq.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
So Lost -Gen haven't accomplish anything above the 500s on clay in let's say around 12 years , that's astounding and preposterous beyond belief .

·
Premium Member
11,519 Posts

= Murray, Nadal and Djokovic.

Federer is part of New Balls Gen.

Interesting imagery btw. Ominous. A group of Marlo Stanfields, planning to take over the business. 😄

--

--

--

·
Banned
4,154 Posts
= Murray, Nadal and Djokovic.

Federer is part of New Balls Gen.

Interesting imagery btw. Ominous. A group of Marlo Stanfields, planning to take over the business. 😄

--

--

--

Thank you so much for sharing this Ilkae, ahahhaa.
Had a good laugh first.

So Safin in the middle accompanied by Ferrero on the left and Norman on the right ??! The former big guys ? :D
While Federer still long haired part of the wider circle.

I already knew and guessed immediately that this is probably 2002 without noticing the date. ^^

Nice to collect these historic photomontages before anyone knew anything as a nice look back from retrospective.

Exactly. Well done with the analogy. My first thought was exactly rapper wannabe's with baggy wide clothes and street wear outfits styles. They picked up the at that time predominant taste or the media pushed one haha.

Attachments

Reactions: Ilkae

·
Registered
489 Posts
Doesn't Nishikori belong to the Lost Generation? Or is he considered part of the Golden Generation? I know it's a matter of which period to be covered in each generation, but considering his characteristics, shouldn't he be considered in the Lost Gen.? His place in that generation would make the contrast even more astonishing, in terms of the number of masters' titles.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Doesn't Nishikori belong to the Lost Generation? Or is he considered part of the Golden Generation? I know it's a matter of which period to be covered in each generation, but considering his characteristics, shouldn't he be considered in the Lost Gen.? His place in that generation would make the contrast even more astonishing, in terms of the number of masters' titles.
If we want to quantitatively compare titles of different generations, they need to be defined at equal length, so if you want to include the 1989s with Nishikori at LostGen, you would also have to change something else.

But I agree that the 1989s were already a comparably unsuccessful year: Nishikori has 12 titles (and would be clear second behind Thiem in LostGen, if we include him there), Klizan 6, Johnson 4, Paire and Sousa 3, Albot, Millman and Gojowczyk 1. Aljaz Bedene and Donald Young somewhat surprisingly have no titles. That's all who are currently in the top 500, not sure if I missed someone who's already retired or fell even further back? That's be 31 titles in total, so still quite a bit better than the average for LostGen (17.4 per birth year), but then, the younger players of LostGen have more years left to add some further titles to their palmares than the 1989s.

And just to compare: for 1988, Del Potro and Cilic have already a total of 40 titles.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fun fact: NextGen and LostGen have exactly the same number of both ATP 250 (67) and ATP 500 (15) titles right now.
Tomorrow, NextGen will lead 11-3 in Masters. They also lead 3-1 in ATP finals and 1-0 in Olympics. Thiem's slam title is really the only remaining advantage for LostGen.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Update after US Open:
LostGen: 68 ATP 250, 15 ATP 500, 3 Masters, 1 ATP Finals, 0 Olympics, 1 Slam, total 88
NextGen: 67 ATP 250, 15 ATP 500, 12 Masters, 3 ATP Finals, 1 Olympics, 1 Slam, total 99

Next title will be title 100 for NextGen

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Gen should be named by the most successful player of said generation, except for Lost Gen as there are none of those. I propose MedGen for the NextGen, it rhymes well. After that, SinGen.
Umm wouldn’t Lost Gen be DomiGen then?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Umm wouldn’t Lost Gen be DomiGen then?
Yes, Thiem is clearly the most successful of this generation. However, better not follow that idea in order to avoid tard wars between advocates of NoleGen and RafaGen. Also, unfortunately, you only know afterwards who is the most successful player of a generation.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Update after US Open:
LostGen: 68 ATP 250, 15 ATP 500, 3 Masters, 1 ATP Finals, 0 Olympics, 1 Slam, total 88
NextGen: 67 ATP 250, 15 ATP 500, 12 Masters, 3 ATP Finals, 1 Olympics, 1 Slam, total 99

Next title will be title 100 for NextGen
Next Gen clearly ahead and already surpassed the Lost Gen. However context matters, Lost Gen were unlucky that they coincided with the peaks and careers of the big 3, 3 of the greatest tennis players of all time.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Next Gen clearly ahead and already surpassed the Lost Gen. However context matters, Lost Gen were unlucky that they coincided with the peaks and careers of the big 3, 3 of the greatest tennis players of all time.
I disagree with this view for several reasons:
  • the big three won only a small fraction of the small titles, LostGen still did not collect them.
  • most of LostGen players have not yet been too old to be past their prime in the past few years, while NextGen collected their titles (the oldest LostGen players are 31 by now)
  • many NextGen players are still before their prime.
In my opinion, there is a huge difference in quality between these two generations.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts