Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I think both of them, when challenging the best players, have to play fairly high risk tennis and I'm not convinced either of them will be able to pull it off consistently enough to keep winning enough matches to propel them right to the top.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
JW was injured alot because he was so unfit as well. Now he's in great shape and looks like it's built his confidence.

Janko's getting there, slowly but surely.:cool:

·
Banned
59,367 Posts
Tipsy- fitness must improve and must have luck with injuries if to progress.

Tsonga- nothing will stop him, i think he can win loads of titles.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I really think Tsonga can break through. From what I read in the French papers, he has incredible physical strength, explosivity and technique (he's beaten all the records for physical tests of French players). He has risen really fast since Queens last year and I can't see why he won't climb again. I hope he'll do well at the French Open...

Tipsarevic is a good player but I don't see a real trend for him to reach the top20, I may be wrong...

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I doubt if Tsonga will be a factor during the claycourt season (based on his results on clay and suspected dislike of the surface), but I think he will do well on fast courts, especially on grass.
Tipsarevic will always be a dangerous floater at slams, but he has a game to be a top 30 player at least and I hope he will be one.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Time will tell.
Well, duh.

That's like asking in circa. 1980, "should I invest in Microsoft?" --Ans: "Time will tell".

Of course time will tell, but that is not much of a prediction.

My prediction is that neither will become a new force. Tipsarevic will fall off the face of the earth and Tsonga will be something of a "Bagdadits". Not a bad player at all, but not really a force.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Janko's rise depends IMO solely on his head, and that's something that can't be analyzed.

Tsonga will depend on the quality of the field and the luck in the draws: strong aggressive baseliners should be able to stop his S&V game, and restricted to the baseline, he's generally quite playable.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I remember watching Tipsarevic at a challenger in my club two years ago. he lost in two sets against Korolev and overall didn't play a good match. he's kind of a weird character. most of us have seen the match against Federer, and I also remember his match against Gonzalez in Wimbledon. he is a very dangerous player, but I'm not sure if he'll ever reach the top 20.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Well, duh.

That's like asking in circa. 1980, "should I invest in Microsoft?" --Ans: "Time will tell".

Of course time will tell, but that is not much of a prediction.

My prediction is that neither will become a new force. Tipsarevic will fall off the face of the earth and Tsonga will be something of a "Bagdadits". Not a bad player at all, but not really a force.
The quality of the answer was consciously chosen to match the quality, and more important, the timing of the thread question. ;)

Sometimes we should be humble enough to determine that we cannot give good answers to some questions. Would you decide upon your investment in stocks based on a single day of a market boom reaction or crush? Would you decide upon which politician to vote for based on a single newspaper headline that caught your attention?

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
The quality of the answer was consciously chosen to match the quality, and more important, the timing of the thread question. ;)

Sometimes we should be humble enough to determine that we cannot give good answers to some questions. Would you decide upon your investment in stocks based on a single day of a market boom reaction or crush? Would you decide upon which politician to vote for based on a single newspaper headline that caught your attention?
excellent response :hatoff: these days everyone wants instant answers. But there is no such things in the world. The only instant things are instant food and instant coffee bothe are bad for us.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Jo Wilfred took advantage of the surprise factor, specially against Murray and Gasket. Misha and Rafa weren´t in the mood. I believe he wont´t surprise any one in the next big tournaments. As for Janko, he has no weapons to survive a third round, except for his medusa killer stare, reinforced by bottle-bottom goggles. Also his retro-excavating-machine crunching gesture may chill some unexperienced freshmen. But I don´t forget his total paralysis in the Nalby match one year ago. That is the quintessential Tips. He was reading Crime and Punishment by those days . . . . .

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
I guess my answer is sort of in accordance with the last few posts. Only time will tell; Now they both especially Tipsarevic has impressed me quite a bit, he has a big game and his down the line shots are quite powerful. Tsonga too has a very explosive game that is very dangerous and has immense potential. Now will they become the next Novak Djokovics, I don't know, maybe, maybe not?

Talented they both are immensely. :worship:

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
Talent is nothing without application and hard work. As Einstein is reported to have said, "Genius is 10% inspiration and 100% perspiration". So, only time will tell whether they have the necessary temprament to work hard at reaching the top. Does anybody remember Chris Lewis one time wimby finalist and then disappeared?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
They have combined for an amazing 0 titles.

Cool!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

As the author of the thread, I have to say u r right to some extent. However, predictions always had a problem with "quality" of imposed question and with "timing" for putting the question forward :). U r always in danger to be negated by the time, or to be an "old story" on the clipboard. This is why the most interesting predictions come before the time tells its story. Thanks though for the comment.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Apparently Tsonga is in extreme good shape in Romania, he destroys everyone in training (he's beaten Gasquet 6-2 5-1 in a practice session).

21 - 37 of 37 Posts