Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tsonga made his first GS final after only 4 attempts at majors. Tipsarevic didn't go further then 3th round, but made Federer work for his advancement into the next round. Both of them were very good juniors. Tipsarevic probably plays the longest matches on the tour (if it is 5 setter, Tipsy will probably play it all the way) while Tsonga plays, at least for my taste, extremely attractive tennis. However, they are still underdogs. Can they become major threat on every tournament, or they will stay just a spoilers from the shadow?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Tsonga bandwagon after a period of derailment is back on track.

Tipsarevic, he will have his moments.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Tipsy is a hell of a player,BUT... He would be better ranked if he can always play against top 20. When he is a favorite he has motivation problem . If he could deal with with that then we can expect his top 20 debut. Also with more training maybe even top 10!

Tsonga is already there. With new confidence he can reach top 5 till end of year.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Tsonga is already there. With new confidence he can reach top 5 till end of year.
It seems he'll need to improve his claycourt game. So far he played only one (!) ATP match on clay (at RG) and lost to Roddick (!!).

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Time will tell.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Tipsarevic is a consistent force in the bedroom, that's for sure :eek:
How do you know, lol?

Tispsy is not consistent enough. He can beat anybody (good top players) and than lose to nobody. We'll see with Tsonga soon (Rotterdam will be his first test).

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Tipsarevic is lazy. Reads a lot of literature which I appreciate, but he sacrifice tennis practice for that. Tsonga will be force. He plays incredible. Huge potential.
And the reason he didn't perform well were his injuries, something he couldn't really control, not his mentality. His mentality looks very strong.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love how much Janko loves his literature, although I guess it does seem to be a distraction.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Tipsarevic is lazy. Reads a lot of literature which I appreciate, but he sacrifice tennis practice for that. Tsonga will be force. He plays incredible. Huge potential.
And the reason he didn't perform well were his injuries, something he couldn't really control, not his mentality. His mentality looks very strong.
It wasn't completely out of his control either, his coach Winogradski admits it was Tsonga's fault too when he got injured that much. Not enough discipline for a while (he's very fond of his food!)
But that definitely shouldn't be an issue anymore, everybody is praising him now for having learned a lesson from it and being very, very careful in that regard.

(From an article about him in L'Equipe during the AO: (...) Dame blessure repointe sa sale dégaine. Et elle n’est pas venue seule. Car Jo a un vilain défaut, la gourmandise. « Ça cassait souvent, explique Wino, parce qu’il n’était pas capable de faire quinze minutes de gainage par jour ni de manger un peu correctement pour perdre du poids. »)

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
We'll see. I think they'll both have their moments, though I think Tsonga has more going for him in that regard. I'm still not convinced by all this top 10 talk though - we need to see a solid stretch of results, not just one admittedly fabulous tournament. The ones who back it up are the ones who make the impact, not the one tournament wonders.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
For sure not, both of them.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It seems he'll need to improve his claycourt game. So far he played only one (!) ATP match on clay (at RG) and lost to Roddick (!!).
True, but Roddick has no claycourt game and is top 10. And I think Tsonga is now better player then Roddick. However Tsonga will improve his clay game. Especially for RG. You'll see!

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Tsonga now possesses "overrated" status, for me...why is everyone going absolutely crazy over him? :confused:

Tipsy will always be a name to look out for, but I'll be surprised if he has more than a couple of really notable Grand Slam performances.

·
Registered
15,596 Posts
Personally I doubt that either will progress too much further up the rankings. From what I've seen from Tsonga he is highly inconsistent and there's a big chance that his Aussie Open run was a fluke. I don't see him as a slam winner.

Janko, is someone I'd love to be able to say i think will win slams, but I don't. He certainly has talent and can push into the top 30 but I'm not sure he'll get much further. He is inconsistent also and is often to busy with hobbies and women to focus on his game :lol:. If Janko becomes a top 10 player i'd be totally stunned, but hey, I hope I am :p

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Based on their figures I think Jo has more strength and power to achieve more consistent results than Janko has.But I don't know,we'll see! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts