Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tio Toni:"If he didn’t win the 4th set, he’d lose the 5th. Novak stronger physically"

Toni Nadal (Rafael Nadal’s coach):
"We’re delighted and very emotional about this victory. This is the first time that we came to Roland Garros having lost so many matches on clay this year. We lost at Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome and even though we won in Madrid, I can’t forget that Nishikori had to retire in the final. So we were short on confidence. Djokovic played very well here in the first set. Rafael wasn’t playing badly but he made a few errors and when you’re playing Novak, there’s no room for manoeuvre.

The match turned on its head at the end of the second set because Djokovic’s level dropped a little. We all felt it, and Rafa stepped up then. This match wasn’t at the same level of the 2012 final or last year’s semi-final, but it was a very, very intense final. At the end of the fourth set, Rafa was cramping up everywhere and he almost couldn’t go on. We really had to fire him up because we knew that if he didn’t win the fourth, he’d lose the fifth because Novak was stronger than him physically. At the end of the match, when he came up to me in the stands, he told me that we needed to get the doctor to come and see to him because he was really, really exhausted."

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2014-06-08/201406081402252406125.html

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Tio Toni:"If he didn’t win the 4th set, he’d lose the 5th. Novak stronger physica

and now i need the serbian response after hearing this.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Re: Tio Toni:"If he didn’t win the 4th set, he’d lose the 5th. Novak stronger physica

When Rafa bendt down i thought it was back problems, but seems it was cramps.

I dont agree with Tio about Nole beeing better then Rafa if it came to a 5th set. Nokle was doing alot of errors but Rafa withou legs maybe Nole would win. We will never know.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

No problem.
Novak is a nice guy and he decided to donate the last game.

·
Registered
9,399 Posts

Don Toni still running with the "we" shtick I see.

·
Banned
5,616 Posts

Another bomb right into the Nole from Tio :sad:

·
Registered
6,350 Posts

Rafa said the reason for his bad physical condition was the drastic change of the conditions - cold to hot and humid. So no need to retire yet Rafa.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts

i dont really think djokovic was stronger phisically today. he looked pretty dead in the third set actually

·
Registered
14,499 Posts

If anyone's twisting the knife, its NewsBot.
especially, as he is a rabid Nadaltard himself

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

i have no doubts doctor shall come.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

If this is actually true, and not just more BS from El Tio (big if), then what does that say about Nadal's fitness? He had an easy road to the final and barely broke a sweat, and then a 4-setter hurts his body this badly? This really may be the start of a huge physical decline (if true).

·
Registered
372 Posts

Nadal did look completely gone by the middle of the 4th set. Djokovic really threw that set away with some cheap errors and choking, as well as some good aggressive play by Nadal at a couple key moments. Nadal couldn't defend at all at that point, really. Djokovic clearly looked a lot fresher by the end of the match, despite his own woes in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

Interesting.

In my opinion Tio could be correct for once, I'm not sure Rafito Nadull would have endured a 5-setter with his wobbled back. And Nole was getting a second wind until 4-4 in the 4th, shame that he blew that 30-0 lead away with idiotic UEs.

·
Registered
581 Posts

If this is actually true, and not just more BS from El Tio (big if), then what does that say about Nadal's fitness? He had an easy road to the final and barely broke a sweat, and then a 4-setter hurts his body this badly? This really may be the start of a huge physical decline (if true).
It certainly doesn't look good if it's true. And I think it may be. Both looked physically bothered during the match. Nole on the second and third and Nadal at the end of the fourth. If this is fitness rather than his back it's not a good sign for the rest of his career as Nadal is a player who relies a lot on his fitness.

If he hadn't shown so many signs of decline this year, with the current crop of youngsters, he'd be a lock to reach 18 slams and GOATness. But as things are right now, it'll be very interesting too see what will happen.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts