Mens Tennis Forums banner

What should be done about time violation rulings?

• Keep them as they are (inconsistent)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Police the current 20s limit strongly

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Raise the time limit

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Scrap the rule

Votes: 1 6.7%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The inconsistency is driving me nuts. Something has to change in my opinion.

Options:

1 - Raise the time limit
2 - Scrap the time limit
3 - Police the 20s (ITF or 25s in ATP) time limit ardently from the start of the match

(4 - Keep doing what they currently do...)

Discuss...

·
Banned
10,825 Posts
Just apply the damn rule as it is.

·
30,364 Posts
Mod is a Nadal fanboy ;)
Both players today take more than 30' on average, wouldn't change much...
Clueless post. If you actually read, I said to get a shot clock so everyone can see it and then it would be applied consistently. 25 seconds and a buzzer goes off. :wavey:

The ATP and the ITF have to be the same. You can't change it throughout the season.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Raise the timelimit and get a clock, like the NFL or the NBA.
Yeah as I said in another thread: get a freaking clock like so many sports have. 25 sec is still a lot of time to rest. It's not like players would be desperately exhausted just because they could only have 25 sec. Even today some players with a very physical game like Monfils are averaging like 15

A clock takes it out of the umpires hands. Players cant argue against the clock just like they cant argue against Hawkeye. Makes it visible for everyone when someone is time wasting. Let some judge handle it. Umpire doesn't even have to be directly involved in it but can overrule if he found something extraordinary that warranted the violation

·
Registered
86,336 Posts
Shot clock like in Basketball would be good...

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Just enforce the current rules consistently throughout the match. It's ridiculous to tolerate it up until BP and then slap a warning, not to mention that I don't think anyone's actually received a point penalty. If they did and didn't wait for crucial moments of hte match to do so, all offenders would quickly grow out of the habit. I also think 20 secs is enough time, provided there's no outside disturbance. The latter is the reason a shotclock makes no sense. Umpires can sensibly enforce the rules without it anyway. The only problem is they are not inclined to do so, apart from an occasional dramatic warning at crucial stages of the match, which just creates more problems IMO.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shot clock would not be ideal. Can you imagine how much the crowd would play up with a WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA before serving at break point. Also there are times when a discretionary extended time seems necessary after epic points...

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Just regulate racquet and string technology, as that plays its part in why we have so many time violations to begin with.

The last thing this sport needs is even more attacks on the symptoms of what's actually wrong. All that does is create new unforeseen problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts