Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Thiem winning his first slam yesterday and the finish of the USO being without any member of the big 3, we finally get a glimpse of how post big 3 tennis is going to look like. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves though, Thiem and Zverev both looked horrible and choked several times and I just can't see them beating either Djoko or Rafa in slam finals with that mentality.

Rafa and Djoko have a few more years of top level tennis ahead of them but as they age, they'll be more injury and more upset prone. Rafa's got clay, Djoko's got AO where they can still dominate the field when in good form but sooner or later, nature's going to catch up with them and the big 3 era will be over.

Who do you see dominating when all three legends retire? Will anyone dominate at all?

I'll make a prediction myself, even though I hate doing that.

Thiem 2 - 5 slams
Zverev 2 - 5
Medvedev 3 - 5
Tsitsipas 2 - 4
Shapovalov 2 - 3

None of the listed will win more than five I think.

·
Registered
59,927 Posts
Thiem 2-6
Zverev 0-6
Medvedev 2-9
Shapovalov 1-10
Tsitsipas 6-15
FAA 3-20
Coric 0-2
Kyrgios 0-4

Pretty wide ranges, as you can see, some more than others.

I think FAA has no real flaws at all, and has the potential to be basically Djokovic-but-better and be a GOAT contender, but many things have to go right for him for this to happen. He's been very mentally weak and has some physical issues as well.

Shapovalov if he got his serve like 10% better and his decision-making improved would be near-unbeatable on faster courts. Zverev could never recover from that loss last night, or could get it together and serve at 70% at 135 MPH like he did at times during the USO and be amazing. Kyrgios more likely than not gets 0 but if he really gave 100% to the game he'd be an instant contender.

Thiem, on the other hand, i think has a pretty short range. He should win an RG or two after Nadal declines, and maybe another HC Slam or two as well. But I think has some real limitations inherent in his game and some built-in inconsistency, and I don't see him becoming 10+ Slam winner (he's also older).

Coric has some technical flaws it's probably too late to fix, but if he gets the forehand just to servicable he could contend. Medvedev's game probably never works very well on clay. His mentality can be fantastic or terrible (See: US Open last year vs. this year), we'll see if either sticks.

I think Tsitsipas is the one guy with a high floor and ceiling. It's hard to see him NOT winning multiple Slams with just the mild improvements you'd expect in another year or two, and it's also quite easy to see him getting into the double digits.

Of course, these aren't independent variables- if Coric, Zverev, Shapovalov all win 1 Slam between them, it makes it much easier for FAA and Tsitsipas to get into the double digits. If every player on this list meets their full potential, that becomes way harder for them.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
LoL at the level of FAA overhyping on this forum. Mindblowing.

·
justice for all
16,833 Posts
Thiem 2-6
Zverev 0-6
Medvedev 2-9
Shapovalov 1-10
Tsitsipas 6-15
FAA 3-20
Coric 0-2
Kyrgios 0-4

Pretty wide ranges, as you can see, some more than others.

I think FAA has no real flaws at all, and has the potential to be basically Djokovic-but-better and be a GOAT contender, but many things have to go right for him for this to happen. He's been very mentally weak and has some physical issues as well.

Shapovalov if he got his serve like 10% better and his decision-making improved would be near-unbeatable on faster courts. Zverev could never recover from that loss last night, or could get it together and serve at 70% at 135 MPH like he did at times during the USO and be amazing. Kyrgios more likely than not gets 0 but if he really gave 100% to the game he'd be an instant contender.

Thiem, on the other hand, i think has a pretty short range. He should win an RG or two after Nadal declines, and maybe another HC Slam or two as well. But I think has some real limitations inherent in his game and some built-in inconsistency, and I don't see him becoming 10+ Slam winner (he's also older).

Coric has some technical flaws it's probably too late to fix, but if he gets the forehand just to servicable he could contend. Medvedev's game probably never works very well on clay. His mentality can be fantastic or terrible (See: US Open last year vs. this year), we'll see if either sticks.

I think Tsitsipas is the one guy with a high floor and ceiling. It's hard to see him NOT winning multiple Slams with just the mild improvements you'd expect in another year or two, and it's also quite easy to see him getting into the double digits.

Of course, these aren't independent variables- if Coric, Zverev, Shapovalov all win 1 Slam between them, it makes it much easier for FAA and Tsitsipas to get into the double digits. If every player on this list meets their full potential, that becomes way harder for them.
Where at you've got Sinner? And any more slam winning material as for now?

·
Registered
59,927 Posts
Where at you've got Sinner? And any more slam winning material as for now?
Haven't seen enough yet, really. But I'm a little skeptical of ballbashers without much else (same with Rublev, who I'd put at around 0-2, though Sinner may be a little better).

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
Sinner 5-7
FAA 4-5
Tsitsipas 4-5
Medvedev 4-5
Alcaraz 3-4
Zverev 0-2
Shapovalov 0-1

Too loaded to win 10+

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
Rublev 0
Khachanov 0
DeMinaur 0

Fognini 0-1

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
3,896 Posts
Federer +1
Wawrinka +1
Djokovic +3
Nadal +2
Thiem +5
Medvedev +2
PCB +1
RBA +1

Those will be next the next 4 years.

After that: Who knows? Maybe even players we don't know yet.

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
Federer +1
Wawrinka +1
Djokovic +3
Nadal +2
Thiem +5
Medvedev +2
PCB +1
RBA +1

Those will be next the next 4 years.

After that: Who knows? Maybe even players we don't know yet.
Absolutely impossible, your last statement. Not in today‘s game.

We know every players that will win a slam the next 7-8 years, minimum

Btw, PCB? RBA? Stan? Lol

·
Premium Member
7,225 Posts
Can't see anyone dominating. Can't see any of the current youngsters winning 10 slams. Would be very surprised if any of them wins 7-8 slams.

·
Banned
19,217 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
As the Big 3 fade, men’s tennis will become like women’s tennis in that there will be multiple grand slam winners and no clear no. 1. I won’t speculate as to who will win what, but I’d be surprised if anyone made it to six.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Only Thiem looks like a lock to win slams in the future right now, he should get at least 3-4 if he maintains his current level for 5 more years. There are big question marks over the rest, Medvedev is only good on HC so far and unable to win 5-setters, mentality isn’t too good either and he’ll be 25 soon, I think he’ll at least win a slam with pure consistency but it’s improbable that he wins many. Tsitsipas and Zverev both have a pretty high ceiling, they just need to fix some of the glaring weaknesses in their game, i.e. ROS, BH slice and defense quality for Tsitsipas; 2nd serve, FH attacking and mentality for Zverev. For me, they both have the potential to have a “2011 Djokovic” transformation and dominate the tour, but I also wouldn’t be too surprised if they stop progressing and get stuck at QF/SF stage most of the time.

For younger players, it’s even harder to predict, FAA and Shapovalov both look like guys who could get hot for a fortnight and win a slam, but so far I don’t see the consistency that can allow them to dominate, and they’ve been on tour for some time already. Maybe things will look different in a few years, I’d be very surprised though if one of them wins more than 5 slams. Haven’t watched enough of Sinner to make a prediction, he has solid attacking skills but I’m not sure if he has the “special“ stuff needed to win slams. Alcaraz looks on a very good track for his age, obviously super early and lots could go wrong but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t win RG in his career. We’ll probably be seeing many surprise slam winners too in the next 5 years, it should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts