Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
No, there were only recommendations by various public officials. These are not orders. And they are not the type of "recommendation" you get in a dictatorial regime.

So in point of fact you were wrong, and yes it's a significant difference.

But I see that you're apparently happy to give credit where it's due, except if you have reservations, and if somebody removes those reservations, you find other reasons not to give credit where it's due.
In a dictatorial regime you only get orders, there are no recommendations.
You truly sincerely believe that recommendations are presented without offering you your options if you chose disregard them, in the most democratic manner?!
You truly sincerely believe that the possibility of class action lawsuits as a consequence of people getting infected over disregarding the official recommendations was not considered as a deciding factor?!
I rest my case.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In a dictatorial regime you only get orders, there are no recommendations.
You truly sincerely believe that recommendations are presented without offering you your options if you chose disregard them, in the most democratic manner?!
You truly sincerely believe that the possibility of class action lawsuits as a consequence of people getting infected over disregarding the official recommendations was not considered as a deciding factor?!
I rest my case.
You're missing the point. In dictatorial regimes, "recommendation" is a euphemism for "order". In democracies with the rule of law, there is a legal difference between a recommendation and an order, one that would be upheld by the courts.

The risk of lawsuits didn't stop the organisers of the Cheltenham festival holding their huge horse racing event all of two weeks ago. That was possible because the British government behaved so irresponsibly in pursuing a strategy of allowing the virus to spread. As yet, there have been no lawsuits. But if there is any justice in the world, the organisers will eventually be prosecuted on criminal charges.

The point is that, at a time when so many morons in high public office were equivocating and dithering and spreading misinformation, Tommy Haas and Larry Ellison showed leadership.

And, yes, that's right: Tommy Haas and Larry Ellison are better leaders than Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Sad but true.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
You're missing the point. In dictatorial regimes, "recommendations" is a euphemism for "order". In democracies with the rule of law, there is a legal difference between a recommendation and an order, one that would be upheld by the courts.

The risk of lawsuits didn't stop the organisers of the Cheltenham festival holding their huge horse racing event all of two weeks ago. That was possible because the British government behaved so irresponsibly in pursuing a strategy of allowing the virus to spread. As yet, there have been no lawsuits. But if there is any justice in the world, the organisers will eventually be prosecuted on criminal charges.

The point is that, at a time when so many morons in high public office were equivocating and dithering and spreading misinformation, Tommy Haas and Larry Ellison showed leadership.

And, yes, that's right: Tommy Haas and Larry Ellison are better leaders than Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. Sad but true.
I know exactly what you meant, but dictatorial regimes usually don't even bother with "recommendations".
I'm not denying Haas & Ellison acted responsibly and showed leadership, I just suggest that their motives might not have been those you are praising them for.
And yes, Haas & Ellison for presidents!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good decision, but also not so spectacular as it was shortly before the escalation in Europe. With hindsight it is easier to praise the decision making.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts