Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian Wells took the decision to cancel their tournament in the public interest, at a time when other sporting events were still going ahead.

At the time (how long ago it seems!) they faced a lot of criticism from people claiming they were giving in to hysteria.

Well, guess what? They were right.

Well done to them for their leadership and sense of civic responsibility.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Give credit where credit is due, but wasn't Indian Wells actually dismissed on the order from a local municipality official?! Neither of them had a say in this decision.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Indian Wells took the decision to cancel their tournament in the public interest, at a time when other sporting events were still going ahead.

At the time (how long ago it seems!) they faced a lot of criticism from people claiming they were giving in to hysteria.

Well, guess what? They were right.

Well done to them for their leadership and sense of civic responsibility.
Hello mate.
I hope you are well in your part. Good time to be outside of dublin.

Great thread... i was thinking of making one earlier.

IW easily could have happened. By not happening its surely saved so many lives.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Give credit where credit is due, but wasn't Indian Wells actually dismissed on the order from a local municipality official?! Neither of them had a say in this decision.
No, they cancelled it on the recommendation (not the order) of public health officials and experts. So you can feel free to give credit in this case.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello mate.
I hope you are well in your part. Good time to be outside of dublin.

Great thread... i was thinking of making one earlier.

IW easily could have happened. By not happening its surely saved so many lives.
Cheers. Yes, all well here so far. Going off our rockers with the isolation, but we can't complain.

Courts closed at tennis club is a bummer.

I hope you and your loved ones are all safe and well.

·
10,119 Posts
Yeah I made this comment earlier.

California was not yet at a state of emergency that it was.

I'm very glad Tommy Haas is on the Indian Wells team and working with Larry Ellison. Going to the Indian Wells tournament was a peak experience in my life. It was almost like going to a grand slam.

But of course they are going to look at the bigger picture which is , A) They have a large number of wealthy (older) attendants (like really wealthy , some people I sat next to were very high level in chain of command) B) It is crowd heaven, being one of the highest visited tennis tournaments outside of the slams.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Riverside County, the county where Indian Wells is located, first declared public health emergency after a patient was confirmed of COVID-19. That made their decision easy. Indian Wells promptly made the announcement of the suspension/cancellation of the tournament.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it was the wrong decision to cancel Indian Wells. The flu STILL kills 10x more people. Are we gonna cancel everything because the human race is such sissies?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Are we gonna cancel everything because the human race is such sissies?
Yeah, them humans... a mere tens of thousands dying, and they get all worked up... just because there is no vaccine and numbers increase exponentially.

And why doesn't anyone realize just how simple the solution is - just let Chuck Norris be infected, and the virus will be wiped out from earth yesterday.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No, they cancelled it on the recommendation (not the order) of public health officials and experts. So you can feel free to give credit in this case.
Oh, that distinction makes all the difference, right...
I'm pretty sure that when an official in the US gives you the recommendation, it also comes with an appropriate consequences presented to you in case you decide to disregard it.
What could it be... aaah, class action suits come to mind...
So yeah, credit to both Haas and Ellison for their selfless act AND the unnamed public health official shouldn't be forgotten here.

·
Premium Member
21,049 Posts
something he's never shirked.
:LOL:

Davydenko’s remarks came a day after Rafael Nadal criticized his Swiss rival for sitting back while others speak out and "burn themselves."
"I don’t know why Roger is not supporting the players," Davydenko said. "Because he don’t want … any problems. He’s nice guy. He’s winning Grand Slams. He’s from Switzerland. He’s perfect.
"He don’t want to do anything, he just try to be an outsider from this one."

·
Registered
472 Posts
Too bad the rest of the US can't take their queue. As usual, North Americans value the economy over the health of people. I have family members in Canada working in a car dealership's mechanic shop that has to stay open because it is deemed an 'essential service' and be interacting with hundreds of people per day.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Riverside County, the county where Indian Wells is located, first declared public health emergency after a patient was confirmed of COVID-19. That made their decision easy. Indian Wells promptly made the announcement of the suspension/cancellation of the tournament.
No, it didn't make their decision easy.

They acted early and received a huge amount of flak for it, from people who still didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

And other sporting events went ahead despite the presence of coronavirus. FFS, thousands of Atletico fans flew into Liverpool despite the presence of coronavirus in Madrid.

At a time when others were still in denial, Tommy Haas and Larry Ellison acted with foresight and civic-minded selflessness.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, that distinction makes all the difference, right...
I'm pretty sure that when an official in the US gives you the recommendation, it also comes with an appropriate consequences presented to you in case you decide to disregard it.
What could it be... aaah, class action suits come to mind...
So yeah, credit to both Haas and Ellison for their selfless act AND the unnamed public health official shouldn't be forgotten here.
No, there were only recommendations by various public officials. These are not orders. And they are not the type of "recommendation" you get in a dictatorial regime.

So in point of fact you were wrong, and yes it's a significant difference.

But I see that you're apparently happy to give credit where it's due, except if you have reservations, and if somebody removes those reservations, you find other reasons not to give credit where it's due.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not sure that dragging up a stupid squabble over higher pay for players from eight years ago really contradicts my point about Fed's leadership.

On important issues, he shows leadership.

At a time of crisis, when Guy Forget and Rafa Nadal decided it was a good time for the French Open to make a predatory move and unilaterally steal a new place in the calendar, Fed's leadership stands out in sharp contrast.

·
Premium Member
21,049 Posts
I'm not sure that dragging up a stupid squabble over higher pay for players from eight years ago really contradicts my point about Fed's leadership.

On important issues, he shows leadership.
Lol, sure. A lot of things in tennis goes behind the close doors, what Denko said is a rare insight into Fed's "leadership".

·
23,039 Posts
I still think their late announcement was still sour, IMO. If they made the announcement maybe a week or two before, it would be understandable. Miami at that time should've announced closing though (as there were also much more cases there) and they eventually did, albeit with a bit of hesitance (i.e. still being vague how they're gonna conduct the matches). Overall things just really spiraled out of control this past week or so -- social distancing just wasn't enough.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I still think their late announcement was still sour, IMO. If they made the announcement maybe a week or two before, it would be understandable. Miami at that time should've announced closing though (as there were also much more cases there) and they eventually did, albeit with a bit of hesitance (i.e. still being vague how they're gonna conduct the matches). Overall things just really spiraled out of control this past week or so -- social distancing just wasn't enough.
A week or two before, things were still looking like the tournament could be played without much problems. Yes, things have spiraled out of control since then and we have to take into account that the new cases of today are the result of the mistakes that were made about 14 days prior, due to the high incubation time of the disease.

IMO, they could hardly have done any better dealing with the cancellation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts