Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this gem on Youtube today

Crazy how 2 years later they end up in the RG finals!

Nadal's serve has come 1000 lightyears since then, wow

·
Registered
112 Posts
Found this gem on Youtube today

Crazy how 2 years later they end up in the RG finals!

Nadal's serve has come 1000 lightyears since then, wow
Lol just imagine if Puerta managed to beat Nadal in 05. Possibly had they gone to a 5th set, Puerta would have won. He was close to taking it to 5.

Though I suspect his title would have been stripped because of the doping charges .

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol just imagine if Puerta managed to beat Nadal in 05. Possibly had they gone to a 5th set, Puerta would have won. He was close to taking it to 5.

Though I suspect his title would have been stripped because of the doping charges .
Yes was a very high level of play in that match. Nadal's FH cc does not bother someone who is a lefty. Especially a lefty who was on the juice and was pulverizing the ball with the forehand side. Nadal was 10000000% defensive in that RG 05 F

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes was a very high level of play in that match. Nadal's FH cc does not bother someone who is a lefty. Especially a lefty who was on the juice and was pulverizing the ball with the forehand side. Nadal was 10000000% defensive in that RG 05 F
Yet it was probably the toughest final opponent for Nadal in RG after all these years. And yes, even tougher than Federer 06,07,11(he never looked like he was gonna win them), and DJ (12,14 etc).

·
Your visions will happen
46,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yet it was probably the toughest final opponent for Nadal in RG after all these years. And yes, even tougher than Federer 06,07,11(he never looked like he was gonna win them), and DJ (12,14 etc).
Toughest opponent in the finals, sure but RG 13 SF was the toughest battle in total. Still think Thiem and Rafa can play one even greater, maybe 2020

·
Registered
112 Posts
Toughest opponent in the finals, sure but RG 13 SF was the toughest battle in total. Still think Thiem and Rafa can play one even greater, maybe 2020
Yea RG 13 wad tougher. But I'm talking Finals. Or else Isner Nadal was even tougher, down two sets to one. For Thiem to beat or even take Nadal to 5 sets at RG. He must first be able to beat Nadal at Monte Carlo. The surface which is most similar to Phillipe Chatrier. Only Djokovic, Ferrer, and Fognini have beaten him. Out of which Djokovic has beaten him and taken him to 5. Ferrer took a set of him and played him close in 14, before finally giving up. Fognini has never played Nadal at RG I think, at least in recent years.

I wonder how a Fognini - Nadal match at RG would fare. Especially a healthy and fit Fognini, at his best. He always is motivated to face Nadal and is a threat to Nadal on all surfaces.

·
Registered
15,120 Posts
Imagine if Puerta had beaten dull in the RG 05 final. The topspin plague wouldve been nipped in the bud.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yea RG 13 wad tougher. But I'm talking Finals. Or else Isner Nadal was even tougher, down two sets to one. For Thiem to beat or even take Nadal to 5 sets at RG. He must first be able to beat Nadal at Monte Carlo. The surface which is most similar to Phillipe Chatrier. Only Djokovic, Ferrer, and Fognini have beaten him. Out of which Djokovic has beaten him and taken him to 5. Ferrer took a set of him and played him close in 14, before finally giving up. Fognini has never played Nadal at RG I think, at least in recent years.

I wonder how a Fognini - Nadal match at RG would fare. Especially a healthy and fit Fognini, at his best. He always is motivated to face Nadal and is a threat to Nadal on all surfaces.

A lot of people criticize Isner but forget that he literally was a set away from beating Dull at RG which only 2 people have done and not even Federer has managed to take Dull to 5 sets before in all the times they played. Even Djokovic could only beat him in his 2015 Shitdal form.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A lot of people criticize Isner but forget that he literally was a set away from beating Dull at RG which only 2 people have done and not even Federer has managed to take Dull to 5 sets before in all the times they played. Even Djokovic could only beat him in his 2015 Shitdal form.
Well beating 2015 Dull, isn't an achievement. It was the worst year in his career. Losing sets to Sock of all people. And not winning a single clay tournament.
I'm pretty sure even Wawrinka, Federer, or Murray, any top clay courter remaining in the draw, could've and would've beaten him. The fact that Djokovic managed to do it in 3 sets, without much effort shows Nadal's clay level that year.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Thanks for posting that!
I had already seen it and thought of posting here.
Rafa appreciation is increasing everywhere, it seems there are more youtube clips of him turning up, I even heard a Canadian commie, during DC, call him "arguably the greatest tennis player ever" and this commie is a Federista.

Rafa was just insane good at an early age, surely the greatest ever at that age. But I also heard many times most pundits picked Gasquet over Rafa, at that age, to be the next champion! LOL

Here's another gem of early Rafa. It's so touching that he's beating Moya, the man who would later be responsible for Rafa's incredible resurgence in 2017.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts

I like Fog but he wouldn't stand a chance. Because by RG Rafa has found his form and Fog only ever beat an out of form Rafa. I know he can do damage to when Rafa is less that great.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like Fog but he wouldn't stand a chance. Because by RG Rafa has found his form and Fog only ever beat an out of form Rafa. I know he can do damage to when Rafa is less that great.
Well tbh, Fognini was never in his best form either when playing Rafa. Always catching an injury. But he still managed to take sets of Rafa almost every time they met and even beat him a few times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts