Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are Tim's words from the introduction to his newletter. You probably all have it, but here it is anyway:

Since arriving in Toronto last Thursday I've enjoyed being back on the tour and practice has gone well. Obviously it's going to take time for me to acclimatise to the very humid conditions out here and become match tight having not played competitively since Wimbledon. However, all things considered, my first round win earlier today against Fernando Vicente was pleasing and the longer I can stay in the event the sooner I'll be back to my best. With that in mind I'm also playing doubles over here with my good friend Todd Martin, who beat my Davis Cup teammate Greg Rusedski in the first round.

Next up for me is either James Blake or local wild card Simon Larose, who play later on this evening, so I'll keep an eye on that and hopefully get another match under my belt in the doubles on Tuesday before my second round singles match on Wednesday. It was good to get off to a winning start and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck into the hard court season over here.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And this is an article from www.gotennis.com

British number one Tim Henman showed sufficient class to ease past Spaniard Fernando Vicente in straight sets at the Tennis Masters Series in Toronto.

Henman produced occasional flashes of his best tennis but was largely content to take his opportunities at the back end of each set.

The bulk of the first set went with serve despite both players having the chance to break a number of times. Rain caused a brief delay in early play, but it moved on before the players could get off the court.

Vicente then proceeded to show that his top-50 place in the Champions Race is no fluke, with some excellent timing and fine movement around the court.

But the set's decisive moment came in the 10th game as Henman, leading 5-4, grabbed the chance to break. That was something of a relief after he had blown two break points at 4-3 up.

The second set was almost a carbon copy of the first, as both players held serve until Henman was able to wedge a foot in the door in the 10th game and then force his way past.

The Englishman now faces either young American James Blake or Canadian wildcard Simon Larose in the next round.

Henman's victory maintained Britain's presence in the tournament after compatriot Greg Rusedski again suffered at the hands of nemesis Todd Martin, who came from a set down to win 3-6 7-6 7-5.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts