Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congrats to Tim on his difficult victory over Massu. :)

Next up Martin Verkerk. They've never played each other before.

GOOD LUCK, TIM! :bounce:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the official web site:

Henman got level with Chileans as he stopped Nicolas Massu 6-3, 1-6, 7-5, winning on his second match point. Last week at the Masters in Cincinnati, the Briton was hammered by Massu's compatriot, Fernando Gonzalez.

"My attitude last week was not that good. I would get frustrated. Today, I tried to just let things happen. I lost the second set, but moved on," said Henman.

Henman earned a match point late in the third as Massu double-faulted for the ninth time. The South American then saved one match point but netted on the second as Henman advanced in two hours, 18 minutes.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From gotennis.com:

Fifth-seeded Tim Henman started fast, struggled in the second set, then took advantage of his opponent's double faults in the third to outlast Nicolas Massu, 6-3, 1-6, 7-5.

Henman had to battle his psyche and Massu's strong forehand.

"He has a big, big forehand. It's hard to control," Henman said. "It was frustrating, but I wasn't going to get frustrated.

"He struggled with his second serve, and I had to take advantage of that."

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From eurosport.com:

Henman took the first set from Massu on a single break of serve, struggled badly in the second and only just scraped a victory as Massu served four double-faults in the final game.

"He's not the easiest guy to play against and I did not think the tennis was particularly good, but it's a good match to get through," Henman said. "We say it every week but the first rounds are difficult, as this one proved. At the end he was struggling with his second serve and I had to take advantage of that."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow, thanks for the articles! I didn't even know there was a "eurosport.com"!
I'm so happy Tim won against Massu. I was kinda nervous last night around 10, because we didn't have tv coverage of Indy here, so I was trying frantically to find live scores, but couldn't find any. Yahoo Tennis had the score stuck at Tim leading 6-3 1-6 5-4 FOREVER, and it was so nervewracking!
But YAY TIM! SHOW 'EM YOUR STUFF! GOOD LUCK!:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tim's pulled out of Indy with a shoulder injury. He's had a few injuries and illnesses this year that he doesn't usually get. I hope it's not going to happen to regularly. I also so hope he's OK for the US Open.GET WELL SOON TIM!!!!!

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's the end of that thread. :sad:

Poor Tim, I really hope he gets better in time for the all-important US Open.

You're right Go Tim. He's had quite a few health problems this year. I'm beginning to get worried. This can't develop into a pattern. :( This post-Wimbledon season has taken a bad turn somewhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ditto @ Go Tim.
I feel so bad for him. I think at the Nasdaq-100 Open he strained his neck and had to retire from his match vs Federer, and Tim said that he didn't want to have to pull out of a match like that without playing til the end. Maybe that's why he plays through those stomach irritations and all. Anyway, GET WELL TIM.
Shoulder inflammation, sounds scary, doesn't it? I hope it's not too bad for Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
Grrrrrrrr! What is up with the shoulder injuries now?! My third fav, Thomas Johansson, is expected to have to have to pull out of the Open with a shoulder injury, and now Tim? But it sounds as though Tim's isn't as serious as Johansson's. Anyway, I'm still

·
Registered
135 Posts
NOOOOOO!!! Oh my goodness!!! I just found out that Rusedski beat Hewitt...AHHH!!! if only Tim didn''t have to withdraw from this tournament, his path to victory would've been Lleyton-FREE..!!!!!
Oh, and from Yahoo! Tennis:
Fifth-seeded Tim Henman was ousted by a shoulder injury.

Henman, third in the ATP Champions Race, withdrew Thursday morning after hitting a few painful practice shots. He said an initial report from an MRI scan showed no tears.

"This decision has not been made with the (U.S.) Open in mind at all,'' he said. "I was desperate to play here.

"It's not great right now, but hopefully, with some pretty intense treatment and some rest the next few days, it shouldn't linger too long.''

Oh. :sad: If only. But as long as Timmy gets better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts