Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
justice for all
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now some players (e.g. Thiem) will have to play 2 matches today vs a player who will play only one (e.g. Khachanov).

Looks fair and legit.

Bunch of idiots. Why don't they just cancel this stupid tournament?

·
A happy person
44,888 Posts
And Thiem plays on doubles too, so 3 matches today... :help:
Seems unfair as there are players who won their second round matches on tuesday but it's the usual schedule on masters, on tuesday 1st and 2nd rounds too.
I hate this all too but it was raining all day yesterday, what else to do? Let's pray no more long delays on this tournament.... i know few of you talked about monday's finish but if another rainy day come? Never knows.. understandable they want to finish 3rd round today.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
So now some players (e.g. Thiem) will have to play 2 matches today vs a player who will play only one (e.g. Khachanov).

Looks fair and legit.

Bunch of idiots. Why don't they just cancel this stupid tournament?
Djokovic' Rome'17 F vs Zverev was his third match in just 26 hours, despite winning his QF & SF matches vs Delpo & Thiem pretty quickly, it was still a huge advantage for Zverev.

With the rain forecast for the weekend, something similar could happen this year too.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
It can be strange but I prefer this tournament in which everyone is equal rather than tournaments in a roof in which big players have advantage to play and relax then. At least everyone is equal.

My only doubt about this tournament is the really bad commutation postponing game all day long while everyone can perfectly see that no match could play today. Shame on organisation. I remembered in US open for instance game are postponed early or same in French open.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
First the ticket fiasco, and now Federer has too play two matches today, the second against a fresh Coric.

Its time to tank this tournament not to risk injury. Federer is mainly here as a tourist anyways.

·
Registered
21,283 Posts
It can be strange but I prefer this tournament in which everyone is equal rather than tournaments in a roof in which big players have advantage to play and relax then. At least everyone is equal.

My only doubt about this tournament is the really bad commutation postponing game all day long while everyone can perfectly see that no match could play today. Shame on organisation. I remembered in US open for instance game are postponed early or same in French open.
It’s not really equal. Those who had their R2 played on Tuesday is the benefactor of this.

I agree nothing could have been done though, the schedule is always like this.

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Shocking! playing twice in one day?! Surely this has never happened before. :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Its all going into Zverevs plan for Roland Garros. What a mastermind ;) :lol:
It's not that he'll have a chance 1 in a million even if the main favorites will get tired and exhausted because of this packed schedule.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Sure.But it`s not great especially on a slow clay court.Imagine playing a long 3 hour match.Then the player will be done by playing a second match a few hours later.
Obviously. But that's part of the sport. What do you propose instead?

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Obviously. But that's part of the sport. What do you propose instead?
They could stretch the tournament with 1 more day. Surely not ideal, but more fairer to the top dogs.

If they don't have a retractable roof at least on center court, they should pay the price, not the players themselves.

·
justice for all
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They could stretch the tournament with 1 more day. Surely not ideal, but more fairer to the top dogs.

If they don't have a retractable roof at least on center court, they should pay the price, not the players themselves.
I also think that might be a better option. Sure, there's a slam in just a week starting but there's still a whole week to recover and train for it.

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts

Stretching the tournament is not fair to the tournaments in the following week and, consequently, for the players playing those events.

I don't really see the big deal. It has been like this for ages. Players should expect to play two matches on one day.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Stretching the tournament is not fair to the tournaments in the following week and, consequently, for the players playing those events.

I don't really see the big deal. It has been like this for ages. Players should expect to play two matches on one day.
Nö top-10-player cares about the 250s before a grand slam anyway. And even if they did, as top 4 seeds they wouldn’t play before Wednesday anyway, so it doesn’t really matter in the end. If a lower-ranked player reaches finals here, and is eager to play next week as well, he can still play his 1st round match on Tuesday

·
MONSOON season.
81,404 Posts
Nö top-10-player cares about the 250s before a grand slam anyway. And even if they did, as top 4 seeds they wouldn’t play before Wednesday anyway, so it doesn’t really matter in the end. If a lower-ranked player reaches finals here, and is eager to play next week as well, he can still play his 1st round match on Tuesday
I wasn't talking only about Top 10 players. Should tournament organizers only care about the top players? No.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts