Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
Serena Williams(USA)[28] vs. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova(RUS)[17]

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[1] vs. Janko Tipsarevic(SRB)[20]

Arthur Ashe Stadium
7:00 PM

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Roger Federer(SUI)[3] vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga(FRA)[11]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Louis Armstrong Stadium
11:00 AM

Men's Singles - 4th Round
Andy Roddick(USA)[21] vs. David Ferrer(ESP)[5]

Not Before:1:00 PM

Caroline Wozniacki(DEN)[1] vs. Andrea Petkovic(GER)[10]

Women's Doubles - Quarterfinals
Iveta Benesova(CZE)[9] / Barbora Zahlavova Strycova(CZE)[9] vs. Liezel Huber(USA)[4] / Lisa Raymond(USA)[4]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grandstand

Donald Young(USA) vs. Andy Murray(GBR)[4]

Samantha Stosur(AUS)[9] vs. Vera Zvonareva(RUS)[2]

Mixed Doubles - Semifinals
Melanie Oudin(USA) / Jack Sock(USA) vs. Elena Vesnina(RUS)[7] / Leander Paes(IND)[7]

Court 17

John Isner(USA)[28] vs. Gilles Simon(FRA)[12]

Angelique Kerber(GER) vs. Flavia Pennetta(ITA)[26]

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
Thanks for your
great work

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
What would you rather have them do? Not schedule matches at all?
For starters, how about recognize that there won't be a full day of matches no matter what happens and that they could try to make it fairer for the men. Do you not see what will inevitably happen with this schedule?

·
Registered
103 Posts
For starters, how about recognize that there won't be a full day of matches no matter what happens and that they could try to make it fairer for the men. Do you not see what will inevitably happen with this schedule?
Fairer how? They put all the fourth round matches as early as possible.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The schedule finally makes sense. All men's 4th round matches up first, followed by all the Women's QFs each after a 4th round match, so time advantages are minimized. Then followed by top half men's QFs. Of course, now they need the weather to cooperate.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
because fairness is not usta's concern and $$ is and we saw how they tried to put the serena night match on ashe even though the mens r16 should have been priority but just so they won't have to refund/issue tickets for a night session next year I see the day getting rained out but federer and tsonga still getting a shot if it is even possible to play since they are the only match scheduled for a primetime Thursday slot. Anyone think they might do this given how they tried to put serena on at night?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
pretty much what I expected them to do..I don't really see a huge issue and don't see many other options at this point. If the R4 matches get completed they'll probably schedule them for first thing Friday morning and put the Womens SF Fri night. Then have the Fed/Novak match first on Saturday followed by the winners of Friday morning QF match.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the NY Times the tournament director didn't rule out having men (or women) play two matches in one day in order to finish on time for CBS. What a clown.

Jim Curley, the Open’s tournament director, said that officials intended to finish the tournament on time. If the men’s fourth-round matches finish Thursday, he said, such a time frame remains realistic.

Curley did not rule out having either the men or women play twice in the same day — unthinkable as that might be. He also said men’s matches would remain best-of-five-sets, even if they play four matches in four days.

“It’s fair for all the players,” he said. “They’re all in the same situation. I don’t think it’s a safety issue. I think it’s a fitness issue.”

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
because fairness is not usta's concern and $$ is and we saw how they tried to put the serena night match on ashe even though the mens r16 should have been priority but just so they won't have to refund/issue tickets for a night session next year I see the day getting rained out but federer and tsonga still getting a shot if it is even possible to play since they are the only match scheduled for a primetime Thursday slot. Anyone think they might do this given how they tried to put serena on at night?
All they care about is making sure CBS has a men's final at 4pm on Sunday. If that means playing 4 days in a row and the Sunday final being shit, so be it.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
They'll do whatever they have to. They scheduled the most pressing matches first. What else should they have done? Federer doesn't have to finish his match. He can finish Friday and still be in the same boat as everyone.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They'll do whatever they have to. They scheduled the most pressing matches first. What else should they have done? Federer doesn't have to finish his match. He can finish Friday and still be in the same boat as everyone.
it needs to be fair for all players. ok, I know it's already unfair b/c one half is a day behind, but don't compound it by possibly having 1 QF from the top half finish and another get carried over. then just schedule all the QF matches on Friday.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
it needs to be fair for all players. ok, I know it's already unfair b/c one half is a day behind, but don't compound it by possibly having 1 QF from the top half finish and another get carried over. then just schedule all the QF matches on Friday.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
According to the NY Times the tournament director didn't rule out having men (or women) play two matches in one day in order to finish on time for CBS. What a clown.
“It’s fair for all the players,” he said. “They’re all in the same situation. I don’t think it’s a safety issue. I think it’s a fitness issue.”
Unbelievable!!! This is supposed to be a grand slam and it is being crippled by the weather and greedy organizers. No Jim Curley, it is not a fitness issue.. your greed is the issue. Players don't enter slams expecting to play 4 days in a row, but I am sure they are prepared for it if the circumstances call for it. Guess what though, this isn't one of those times. There is no need to have these players ruin their bodies and risk injuries so that you and CBS can make more money.

Pathetic.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Wouldn't it be funny if the players boycotted the rest of the tournament if they're made to play 4 days in a row, or even twice in a day?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts