Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

9 bombs were placed across Bangkok yesterday. Three people were killed in the incidents. Two of the bombs were close to my Med School so some of the injureds were sent there.

I know a senior at the ER last night. I called to ask if eveything was alright. The ER admited 7 casualities; 4 suffered mild injuries, 2 were in a serious condition, and 1 were killed... the explosion badly damaged his heart. :sad:

The last 2 bombs went off just before the countdown at the Central World Plaza where there was a plan for the biggest New Year celebration in Bangkok. Bangkok Mayor calceled the party right after the first 6 bombs... if he hadn't done that or had there were no warning signs from previous bombs... at least a packed crowd of 5,000 people there are going to be in a BIG trouble, including friends of mine...

From the news, there are two potential suspects, Muslim insurgents and Thaksin's (former priminister) residual power.

I would be surprised if political event can cause such incident... but most of all, I hate to see religions involved in this...

====> I'm waiting for the world to change​
:angel:

Three killed in Bangkok NYE blasts
POSTED: 3:43 a.m. EST, January 1, 2007

Story Highlights
• Death toll now 3; at least 30 injured
• Blast injures 8 at plaza where 2007 countdown planned
• Thai authorities cancel major New Year's celebrations in two cities
• At least 2 killed in several explosions in Bangkok

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Nine bombs exploded across Bangkok as the Thai capital celebrated the New Year, killing three people and driving thousands of revelers home after the city was forced to cancel festivities.

Hospital staff and officials said 38 people were injured, at least nine of them foreigners.

In September, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was ousted in a bloodless coup by Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin. The military installed Surayud Chulanont as the interim prime minister until elections in October 2007.

But Thaksin still enjoys widespread support and a number of arson attacks in provincial areas have been blamed on his followers.

"There are two potential suspects, Muslim insurgents and Thaksin's residual power," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University. "I tend to think it's residual power. I suspect the previous regime."

Thaksin's lawyer denied the former prime minister's involvement in the bombings on the Web site of the newspaper Matichon.

Bombings and shootings occur almost daily in Thailand's three southernmost provinces of Yala, Narathiwat and Pattani, where an Islamic insurgency that flared in January 2004 has killed more than 1,900 people.

Muslims make up the majority in overwhelmingly Buddhist Thailand's deep south, where they have long complained of discrimination.

The insurgents have carried out numerous attacks in the south, but are not known to have launched any in Bangkok.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Adelaide: Paulo will play Jan Hernych in his first RR match.

Allez Paulo :bounce: Give me my new year present! :p

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR, PAULO!!!!!

To everyone ~~ may your life become all you want it to :smooch:

:)

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
happy new year :hug:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts