Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the point of this?

It obviously worked out in Federer's favor this time - he would have lost 7-4 if it was a normal tiebreak.

The Slams all need to get together and decide on one 5th set format.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
When millman was at 7-4 I was thinking he will blow it, and he will blame the 10 points format for the rest of his life

I don't think slams need to agree upon a unified 5th set format, just like they aren't played on the same kind of surface
when matches are played to 5th set 6-6, it's not really meaningful to play much longer anymore to decide who is the "real winner", it's basically a tie, just let the tiebreak decide who will win
a 10 point tie break is more interesting than a 7 point one because the former may include the latter as a subset, as we witnessed today, that the one who leads 7:x where x<= 5 might lose the whole tiebreak, but it generally favors the more consistent player just like 5 set matches favors top players more than 3 set matches

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What is the point of this?

It obviously worked out in Federer's favor this time - he would have lost 7-4 if it was a normal tiebreak.

The Slams all need to get together and decide on one 5th set format.
Obviously it is far from sure whether Millman would have won if it had been a normal TB. He clearly got nervous towards the end, and that could also have been the case a few points earlier.
Besides that, honestly, I don't know what ist the best option. They all have their pro's and con's. Personally, I currently most like Wimbledon's choice to play on for some more games but not eternally.

·
|
15,485 Posts
I think Millman would have lost no matter what the format was, because winning the last few points is the hardest thing when you play the big3, and especially at your home slam with so much pressure and some extra pressure of expectation because Millman beat Federer already at a slam.
Tiebreakers bring out nerves, and we saw it in the 2nd Set tiebreaker too.
Millman faced a lot less pressure in their US Open meeting, because obviously there was no hint that he could beat Federer, plus no hometown pressure.
But I don't like 5th Set tiebreakers, and wish they didn't exist.
Marathon finishes are more interesting than the tiebreaker.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
The better player will likely win a 10 point breaker, as you can come back from a deficit. The more important issue is that there should be a breaker at 10 all or 12 all in the last set at all the majors. Having a breaker at 6-6 just feels too soon.

·
Your visions will happen
49,995 Posts
I'd like a 9-9 TB, but I don't mind if it is to 7 or 10

10 is almost like a mini-set, 7 is much more of a shootout. 10 pt tiebreaker is ok, really sucks to win or lose a 4 or 5 hour match in a Russian Roulette 5 minute TB

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Im complaining about this as well. Well, first i dont think all majors must have the same format necessary, they are in different places of the world with different conditions and surfaces.

But 10 point 5th set tb at 6 all is retarded. Absolutely no point of it. And not because one or other player won/lost it. its just 7 point tb is a standard at the end of normal set, and it should remain so. We had plenty of epic best of 7 tbs that went far and beyond. Its enough, no need to extend it. If you want to make 5th sets special add more games.

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
Don't like the 5th set tiebreak. Should be a break. It didn't really help Fed here. 6 straight points would have been enough for him to win two games. Fed would have won Wimbledon if they kept the old rule.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
While I prefer not having a TB over a final set TB anyway, a final set TB to 10 points is just far worse than a conventional one. I don't see why anyone should like it, a champions/match TB at the end of a normal set is just wrong and irritating.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,982 Posts
Not a fan of these tiebreakers at all. At least it's better than the USO's first to 7 TB

Wimbledon has the best solution with a TB at 12-all.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What if they are still tied?
Counting the total points/games gives a more convincing argument to the winner.

If the sets cannot determine the winner, then look at games and points. Often we feel some wins like 7:5 1:6 7:6 not very convincing. My method can serve as a remedy.

It will be very rare it is a tie in sets/games/points. If it happens, then we can have a short 5-pt TB, sudden death.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
I think Millman would have lost no matter what the format was, because winning the last few points is the hardest thing when you play the big3, and especially at your home slam with so much pressure and some extra pressure of expectation because Millman beat Federer already at a slam.
Tiebreakers bring out nerves, and we saw it in the 2nd Set tiebreaker too.
Millman faced a lot less pressure in their US Open meeting, because obviously there was no hint that he could beat Federer, plus no hometown pressure.
But I don't like 5th Set tiebreakers, and wish they didn't exist.
Marathon finishes are more interesting than the tiebreaker.
Pretty much this as millman probs would’ve choked earlier if it was only to 7. I think wimby has a decent format of going a little after 5 sets but not forever cause that just ruins the winners chances afterwards due to exhaustion. Perhaps in the final they can play forever but before the final, there has to be a limit so players can save energy.

·
justice for all
16,795 Posts
It may be an unpopular opinion but I actually like it and think it makes sense. We’ve already had some of those in this edition of AO (I don’t know how many but quite a few) and if not for that some of the remaining players would already be cooked.

EDIT: except for the final which should be played out until 2 games advantage.

·
Registered
22,152 Posts
Bias aside after what happened today, honestly not the biggest fan of it. 12-12 is the best, or at least 9-9 then a normal TB. Super TB at 6-6 meh, is better than a normal TB like USO or not? I’m not sure. Whatever tbh I’m not entirely complaining anyway

1 - 20 of 45 Posts