Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does MTF think of Borna Coric? Recently on the next person born in the 90s to win a slam and there were like 10 guys listed and not Coric. Guys like Medvedev and De Minaur were mentioned by many and only one guy brought up Coric. I was shocked. I thought he was universally recognized as the 2nd or 3rd most promising Next Genner considering he's ranked 20th in the world has a 3-1 H2H record against Zverev and he beat Federer in a final on grass. He has a very solid serve a great backhand and he moves and defends very well. I think he is a baby Djo (with a worse forehand) much more than Chung is. I think once the Big 3 fall away he will be one of the players competing at the top of tennis.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,276 Posts
He’s good but I find him a bit dull to watch. Not a fan.

and he like his generation are slam flops, this fact is really hurting them, it isn’t just Zverev, Kyrgios/Coric and the rest just can’t have any exceptional results in slams. Or maybe in just one slam but then that’s it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Coric was overrated after 2014 and at the beginning of 2015 season because of some valuable wins, when in fact he beat Murray and Nadal who both played AWFUL against him, the first one was clearly tanking in Dubai 15, while Nadal played one of the worst matches in his career in Basel, yet he was so hyped by ATP and many fans because he had great junior career and then was 2nd-fastest NextGen transitioning to ATP level after Kyrgios, so there was some sort of growing request for young ATP talents. So when he didn't meet these expectations then, he was hated too much and become underrated, not only here, because despite some liabilities in his game he's always been very good prospect.

After few seasons we know where his place is - good serve, backhand, movement to be very good player, very limited forehand, not good enough ROS - these are reasons why probably he won't become elite player. He's not good enough as defensive baseliner (he's good, but without elite ROS and with this forehand he will never be an elite def player like Djokovic) and while he has good serve, his forehand is too weak to dictate pace against classy opponents on regular basis. He's not too regular results-wise neither.

Right now that's the same tier like Chung or De Minaur - potential top10 players, probably too limited to compete for GS. Don't think anything can change here, but who knows how the tour will look like after Djokovic and Nadal retire. Comparisons of Coric and Djokovic are similar to those of De Minaur and Hewitt - there are some similiarities, but nowhere near same potential.

ps

Berdych was 3-1 h2h against Nadal in 2006 and h2h against Zverev is probably similarly misleading at this point of their careers.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
He’s good but I find him a bit dull to watch. Not a fan.

and he like his generation are slam flops, this fact is really hurting them, it isn’t just Zverev, Kyrgios/Coric and the rest just can’t have any exceptional results in slams. Or maybe in just one slam but then that’s it.
It's probably got to do with the fact that they tend to go all out in Bo3 tourneys and then suddenly find that playing Bo5 is a completely different animal. Sascha is just the most prominent example. Chung managed a SF appearance at this year's AO, but did nothing since then, mainly because of injuries.

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Borna has disappointed me so many times I would really rather not think about him. However, I do remain a fan of his anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Average player with a very annoying grunt. At best, a top 10 talent. Don’t see him ever winning a slam, perhaps not even a masters. There is a good chance that the win over Federer at Halle might just be the biggest highlight of his career.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Overrated weaponless pusher.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
He is going to win USO if they keep the courts slow. Hard court will be his best surface.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
What does MTF think of Borna Coric? Recently on the next person born in the 90s to win a slam and there were like 10 guys listed and not Coric. Guys like Medvedev and De Minaur were mentioned by many and only one guy brought up Coric. I was shocked. I thought he was universally recognized as the 2nd or 3rd most promising Next Genner considering he's ranked 20th in the world has a 3-1 H2H record against Zverev and he beat Federer in a final on grass. He has a very solid serve a great backhand and he moves and defends very well. I think he is a baby Djo (with a worse forehand) much more than Chung is. I think once the Big 3 fall away he will be one of the players competing at the top of tennis.

Thoughts?
My opinion is about the same as Clutch though I never needed to backtrack on it.

Watching the kid right now and I have got to say I am EXTREMELY impressed. He has exceptional movement, his preparation before every shot is simply sick. Movement is key in today's game and this kid just like Djoker seems like he has so much time to hit the ball.

Although there are no stand out weapons right now, he has a good penetrating backhand and decent first serve. With that movement and solid rally ball off both wings, the fundamentals are there!

I have watched every bit of Djokovic, Murray and Nadal's development over the years from since they were juniors and this kid it really does feel to me has "modelled" his game on Djokovics.

He's got a lot of inner character Coric imo, which will be critical to his eventual success.

(EDIT: Completely stupid & hasty of me)

No chance. No weapons. Technically appalling forehand. Great mover with one shot, the backhand down-the-line. No chance. Awful thread by me. Won't win a single major.

Honestly though he has a lion's heart, good attitude for the game and has improved quite a bit, tried to be more steadier. He really surprised Federer this year. However, there are still some glaring deficits. He couldn't reproduce this at Wimbledon and good power and baseline players will nearly always beat him. He is still young so things could improve for him, and has time ahead which is the key for all these young players, no big 4 to get in their way. Moving from solid to worldbeater or contender is a tricky thing, and the next few months and year to come will be important to gauge whether he can go there.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Average player with a very annoying grunt. At best, a top 10 talent. Don’t see him ever winning a slam, perhaps not even a masters. There is a good chance that the win over Federer at Halle might just be the biggest highlight of his career.

Average player and then you say he MIGHT not win a Masters?

Which average player COULD win a Masters, as you said he could?

Federer fans gonna Federer fan.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
He'll win at least a slam, saying that the win over Roger Federer could be the highlight of his career is a very laughable statement.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Coric was overrated after 2014 and at the beginning of 2015 season because of some valuable wins, when in fact he beat Murray and Nadal who both played AWFUL against him, the first one was clearly tanking in Dubai 15, while Nadal played one of the worst matches in his career in Basel, yet he was so hyped by ATP and many fans because he had great junior career and then was 2nd-fastest NextGen transitioning to ATP level after Kyrgios, so there was some sort of growing request for young ATP talents. So when he didn't meet these expectations then, he was hated too much and become underrated, not only here, because despite some liabilities in his game he's always been very good prospect.

After few seasons we know where his place is - good serve, backhand, movement to be very good player, very limited forehand, not good enough ROS - these are reasons why probably he won't become elite player. He's not good enough as defensive baseliner (he's good, but without elite ROS and with this forehand he will never be an elite def player like Djokovic) and while he has good serve, his forehand is too weak to dictate pace against classy opponents on regular basis. He's not too regular results-wise neither.

Right now that's the same tier like Chung or De Minaur - potential top10 players, probably too limited to compete for GS. Don't think anything can change here, but who knows how the tour will look like after Djokovic and Nadal retire. Comparisons of Coric and Djokovic are similar to those of De Minaur and Hewitt - there are some similiarities, but nowhere near same potential.

ps

Berdych was 3-1 h2h against Nadal in 2006 and h2h against Zverev is probably similarly misleading at this point of their careers.
An excellent analysis of Borna's game and future in the sport. The one thing that kind of bums me out about his ceiling (as you pointed out, because of the mediocre RoS and not even WTA-level forehand) is that the guy is an unbelievably hard worker. With a decent forehand, a good return, and a superb work ethic, David Ferrer got to #3 in the world and won $30 million career prize money. Coric has a similar work ethic but lacks the return & forehand. True, Borna has a better serve than David, but it's not good enough to overcome his weaknesses.

All that said, because I'm a big fan of hard work, I will root for Borna over a lot of players who slack off, e.g. Kyrgios, Tomic, Sock, Donald Young. I'll take a hard-working pusher over a gifted slacker any day.

Another reason I like Borna is his H2H over Zverev, the biggest douchebag in tennis. Zverev's whiney meltdowns against Coric's relentless determination is a beautiful sight to behold :grin2:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Has improved quite a bit in the last 12 months and I was impressed by his performance in Madrid and Indian Wells. Seems more focused and level-headed than most of his peers. He will reach at least 3-5 GS Semifinals in his career, perhaps even win a major.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Top 10 is his peak.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Some of you guys don't get it. In 3-5 years, things are gonna be different. I bet in the 2020's we'll see a lot of different Slams winners. At least 12 in my opinion. Rather than 6 in the last 14 and counting. Coric has definetly conditions to be one of them in 3-5 years and perfectly capable of getting it together for two weeks against his peers in his generation. There's not way to tell. Things are going to get competitive. Unless Zverev take it to another level and start taking 3 out of 4 ala Federer in 2004 by 2020 or so. Coric'll be competeing that's for sure given his peak level shown.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
All I'm saying is that in 3 years the level of greatness required to win one won't be anywhere as close as it took from 04' to 16 ' let's say. Evidenced today by the big 3 playing maybe at 80 % and still winning them.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I like him, always enjoy watching him play.
I haven't watched him enough to have an opinion on how big his potential future is, but his game seems fairly complete to me, it was mainly mental issues holding him back at this point.
I noticed he was capable of taking Fed to the brink (then not closing) but next time (Halle I think) beating Fed. His movement and defense struck me as his big strengths--unlike Zverev, who is all about power.
Certainly he holds as much promise at this point as Shap and Tsitsi, though he's older.

He's a player I would be happy to see in the top 5 in a few years, for sure. I like him way better than AZ, for eg.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts