Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Politically incorrect thesis for this week: Most Americans live in la-la land.

They're clueless about what's going on in the world of money, and still think we're the richest country in the world. In reality, we're the biggest debtor nation there is.

Most Americans also still think our government will protect them. The world is changing at an alarming rate, yet most people here waddle stubbornly through the crosswalk, so to speak, still believing that this country has the right of way and that our political institutions are still sound.

Midterm elections will take place in a couple of months. The common question regarding the outcome is: Will the Democrats or Republicans win? But the question should be: What difference does it make? Regardless of which party wins, the rich still make the rules.

In Thomas Frank's book What's the Matter with Kansas? : How Conservatives Won the Heart of America, which I highly recommend, a poor man reports that he voted Republican because he wanted to get back at Wall Street.

Can you imagine that? I always suspected that a lot of people aren't very bright. To paraphrase a popular statement, a poor person voting for a Republican is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders.

Recently, Congress worked diligently to have English passed as the official language of the United States. They also worked hard to make burning the American flag illegal. Now, I'm in favor of speaking English as well as of not burning the flag. But don't our political leaders have bigger and more pressing issues to focus on?

What about Medicare, which is running in the red? And what about Social Security, which will soon be running in the red? In case you don't know how in trouble both programs are, as of 2004, Medicare's long-term fiscal gap is over $60 trillion, while Social Security reportedly has a $10 trillion shortfall.

Yet in spite of these financial challenges, millions of Americans continue to waddle through the crosswalk of life, expecting our government to take care of them instead of building wealth. They're living in la-la land.

(I pulled this from an article I was reading, this morning, on my way to work. But I think someone just left my desk with it :lol: I can't find it........so I'll add in the reference source later)

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I thought you wrote the piece :lol:

but i do agree with the article. you know, nowadays is almost like presidents are paying more atention to the international "events" than to what's going on at their home country.

...and trust me you wouldn't wanna get me started at whole Chávez - Bush "thing".

·
Miss Fabray
55,507 Posts
:yeah:

G

·
0 Posts
Why do I have the impression you are a supporter of "LINK TV" television without border?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts