Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After today's tennis festival (Wimbledon QF's 2018), I noticed that if the matches were played in BO3, then two of the four QF matches would produce different outcomes. Instead of Anderson and Nadal, who came back and won their respective matches in 5, it would be Federer and DelPotro to proceed to the next round.

This brings up a question. Which set of winners are more legitimate? Or which format is better in awarding the better players, BO3 or BO5? Some might argue that BO3 offers more chances for on fire underdogs, and BO5 is a more consistent measure of how good a player really is. However, today's match seems suggest the opposite, in that Anderson was generally considered lesser than Federer, and arguably Nadal than Delpotro, on grass.

So what is the intrinsic difference between BO3 and BO5? Forgive me if there was already such a discussion. Otherwise please fire away.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
After today's tennis festival (Wimbledon QF's 2018), I noticed that if the matches were played in BO3, then two of the four QF matches would produce different outcomes. Instead of Anderson and Nadal, who came back and won their respective matches in 5, it would be Federer and DelPotro to proceed to the next round.

This brings up a question. Which set of winners are more legitimate? Or which format is better in awarding the better players, BO3 or BO5? Some might argue that BO3 offers more chances for on fire underdogs, and BO5 is a more consistent measure of how good a player really is. However, today's match seems suggest the opposite, in that Anderson was generally considered lesser than Federer, and arguably Nadal than Delpotro, on grass.

So what is the intrinsic difference between BO3 and BO5? Forgive me if there was already such a discussion. Otherwise please fire away.
The mental Game is different, When you know it is the last set you push you to different things, as Nadal vs Delpo in the 5th.. the dynamics work differently, so cutting a BO5 match by how it was standing after the 3rd set doesnt make any sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts