Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Fake News
Discussion Starter #1
It could be Nadal that dethrones him, but most likely it will be Djokovic, but by this time next year Federer's reign as GOAT will be over (2009-2021)
12 Years a GOAT 馃悙

What would this mean for tennis, will Djokovic's popularity skyrocket ? will Federer lose his popularity ? would the new generation of players and fans grow up to idolize Djokovic and imitate his style of play instead of Federer ? discuss

Registered
Wait until Thiem wins one before crowning him.

Registered
Nope, because if Federer stays at 20, neither Nadal nor Djokovic can be solo goats without 21 slam, and Nadal IMO (if he wins another couple of RG) needs two slams more than Federer because of Federers six WTF, 311 weeks at no.1 and considerably better non-clay resume, so, there only could be a new co-goat by the end of USO'21, e.g. Nadal with 20 or 21 slam.

As Djokovic's fan I'll be over the moon if Djokovic finishes 2021 with 19 slams, if there is an almost normal tennis season and Djokovic stays healthy to compete for no.1 position.

Registered
Nope, because if Federer stays at 20, neither Nadal nor Djokovic can be solo goats without 21 slam, and Nadal IMO (if he wins another couple of RG) needs two slams more than Federer because of Federers six WTF, 311 weeks at no.1 and considerably better non-clay resume, so, there only could be a new co-goat by the end of USO'21, e.g. Nadal with 20 or 21 slam...
Why not 25 for Nadal and 24 for Djokovic? After all, Federer's GS count is much more valuable. Besides, he leads Nadal by 10-4 at slams, Djokovic by 11-6. Oh, wait...

Registered

Registered
Why not 25 for Nadal and 24 for Djokovic? After all, Federer's GS count is much more valuable. Besides, he leads Nadal by 10-4 at slams, Djokovic by 11-6. Oh, wait...
I can't consider Nadal with 21 slam greater than Federer with 20, because Federer has amassed more GS finals, more Wimb. titles, more AO, more USO, more WTF, more weeks at no.1.

Registered
I was told Djokovic was the GOAT already. I'm confused

Registered
You can make an argument that Djokovic is already GOAT. However, even if Djokovic breaks Federer's record, Federer will always be GOAT to most fans (both hardcore and casuals). Djokovic will also never be able to reach the popularity of Federer.

Registered
When did fed become the GOAT? When he beat sampras GS record? Many rank Laver higher than sampras, so in this case when did federer passed him?
If novak loses the USO, or gets injured he just might not surpass roger in GS numbers, maybe not even in no.1 weeks.
Who knows if the FO will be held this year(probably it will, but until the tournament starts its up in the air), and its hard to predict what will be next year so roger might hold the records a bit longer, maybe he will have another miracilous comeback and win a few more slams.
Nadal will probably break rogers record first through. However, the GOAT wars will never end, its just to subjective and a lot of people can't look at it objectively so it will never stop, not until someone wins 20 slams more than others.

Banned
Enough with this goat shit already, there can鈥檛 be a goat cause you can鈥檛 compare different generations.

King Of Tennis
You can make an argument that Djokovic is already GOAT. However, even if Djokovic breaks Federer's record, Federer will always be GOAT to most fans (both hardcore and casuals). Djokovic will also never be able to reach the popularity of Federer.
Just because you're more popular it doesn't make you a better/more accomplished tennis player, lol.

Registered
With so many GOAT threads on this board we should vote on a GGTOAT - Greatest Goat Thread Of All Time

King Of Tennis
Of course not but my point is no matter what Djokovic accomplish I believe Federer will always been seen as the GOAT to most people.
Well, those "most people" are just delusional Fedtards who can't accept reality. Stats are stats. When King gets to 21 then the debate can be put to rest once and for all.

Registered
When did fed become the GOAT? When he beat sampras GS record?
No, to my knowledge and at the time, following the feedback read, seen here and there, we talked about Fed GOAT long before he broke the Sampras slam record and of course, long before the week record.

For me, this is between 2006 and 2007, there is DF Wallace's referent 鈥淔ederer as a religious experience鈥 in the NYT in 2006, but many others.
Federer then had 9 slams.

Sampras had the slam record but not an indisputable GOAT status, Laver remained quoted and of course, Borg as well.

Moreover, the expression was not really used before Sampras broke the record in slam, so we also postponed Laver and Borg .. because we knew well that it was not Emerson and his 12 slams, the "GOAT ".

Registered
No, to my knowledge and at the time, following the feedback read, seen here and there, we talked about Fed GOAT long before he broke the Sampras slam record and of course, long before the week record.

For me, this is between 2006 and 2007, there is DF Wallace's referent 鈥淔ederer as a religious experience鈥 in the NYT in 2006, but many others.
Federer then had 9 slams.
Yeah, people started referencing to him as the best of all time or considering him the greatest back then, but is this when he became the GOAT? So did he did not have to break the slam record, or win all 4 majors or break sampras record(in open era at lest) at no.1 to be the greatest? How do you classify the GOAT in this case. For me, GOAT, is the most accomplished player, since you can't really compare different eras, and even then this is problematic since tennis changed so much through the ages.

Reactions: Nole Fan #1

Registered
It's not me who decide, nor anyone here, it's a global trend that emerges over time when everything is written :)

And undoubtedly a file never closed.

Everyone can have the GOAT they want, I was simply answering the question, namely that it is not when he broke the record slam of Sampras that we spoke of Federer as GOAT.

And I was talking about Borg also, who does not have the slam record, did not win all slams but remains a charismatic icon of modern mediatized tennis.

That 40 years later, with the help of McEnroe, we make a movie about him is quite telling.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts