Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if he keeps this up, he may take 3 next time. What do you think?

Also, who gave Djokovic a greater scare at 2012 AO;

Nadal or Murray?

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
He is no closer in my opinion. The set up was perfect for Nadal with Djoko having a days less rest and a marathon semi. And he failed to take advantage just like Fed at the AO against Nadal a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Yeah he'll figure him out eventually. However, Nadal needs to get the job done in 4. If it goes to 5 he's flipping coins and taking unpredictable chances.

·
Registered
731 Posts
...if he keeps this up, he may take 3 next time. What do you think?

Also, who gave Djokovic a greater scare at 2012 AO;

Nadal or Murray?
Murray was 2 sets to 1 up, but was beaten easily in the third and was break point 15-40 at 5-5 in the fifth. I believe Murray was 5 points away from Victory, Nadal was 6, its too close to decide.

You got to wonder what a fresher Djokovic would have fared against Nadal, probably would have closed out that third set and not throw 3 unforced errors in 4 points to lose the tiebreak from 5-3 up.

Nadal must feel happy he got close? i think he is devastated by this loss and considering this surface is ridiculously slow and that Nole was tired going into, you can't call for a better scenario for Nadal going into this GS final.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah he'll figure him out eventually. However, Nadal needs to get the job done in 4. If it goes to 5 he's flipping coins and taking unpredictable chances.
Its not like Nadal had the chance to get it done in 4 sets :confused: if anything he was lucky to play a fifth set today.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The gap is getting closer...

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Its not like Nadal had the chance to get it done in 4 sets :confused: if anything he was lucky to play a fifth set today.

Well put. People are forgetting how Nadal was getting destroyed from the second set until the latter stages of the 4th set. He was hanging on. The Djoker should have won in 4 but he was not clinical enough in that 4th set. He might actually be further away even though he almost fluked a win today.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
Is this a serious thread? :lol:

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Murray defo. If Ferrer had given Nole a 5 hour marathon the match before, I think Murray would have won in 3 or 4. Murray basically tanked two sets, the first and the fourth, and still almost won the whole thing, and out-played Djoko for most of the middle of the match.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I don`t think so as Nadal lost on his best territory which is to play these extended marathons. And he lost after almost 6 hours and especially considering that Djokovic`s SF match lasted more than 5 hours too. And to make matters even worse he was one break up with Djokovic running out of energy and about to colapse.

I have always admire Nadal for this courage but I had to take my hat off for Djokovic today.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
He took sets playing perfectly on a ridiculously slow court which suits his game against a Djoko who was making a lot more UEs than usual and who had one less rest day from a longer match. Indeed, next time RN might get an even easier draw and Djoko is forced to play Murray, Fed and Tsonga in succession so the Rafole 'rivalry' can take off. In that sense he's definitely getting closer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Seems like it. If they meet at the French Final I think Nadal may actually win.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
He took sets playing perfectly on a ridiculously slow court which suits his game against a Djoko who was making a lot more UEs than usual and who had one less rest day from a longer match. Indeed, next time RN might get an even easier draw and Djoko is forced to play Murray, Fed and Tsonga in succession so the Rafole 'rivalry' can take off. In that sense he's definitely getting closer.
Hehehe giving Nole Hewitt, Ferrer, Murray, and Nadal in a row is a lot more difficult than it looked at the outset. Grind grind battle survive etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts