Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guys...I know that there is theads about roger and mono, bash me if ya want but I need to know.

I understand what kind of disease it is and know that it`s quite serious thanks to you guys but there is one think that I don`t understand.
Can this mono destroy let`s say Federers physical health forever or is it something that vanishes after a period. I mean even if Federer has reovered from it can it have an affection on him anyway, or will he be fine afterward`s. Maybe sounds crazy but I don`t know so much about it.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Can this mono destroy let`s say Federers physical health forever or is it something that vanishes after a period. I mean even if Federer has reovered from it can it have an affection on him anyway, or will he be fine afterward`s. Maybe sounds crazy but I don`t know so much about it.
'Forever' is quite a long time. ;)
For your info, read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis.

Generally spoken, it's hard to tell how long one may suffer from mono infection, and also, how much. It's a very versatile virus, and may pop up again even if you think you've recovered from it. No bueno, that's for sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had mono years ago and the first week I thought I was gonna die!

My throat swelled up and my nose was stuffed up so it was very hard for me to breathe :eek:

No meds helped, it just had to run it's course.

After all of these years, my neck lymph nodes are still somewhat swollen.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
It goes away after a while.
Not entirely. Once infected, you'll always be a carrier of the Epstein-Barr virus, meaning that while you might not feel any of the effects anymore, it might come back if you are really unlucky... :eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not entirely. Once infected, you'll always be a carrier of the Epstein-Barr virus, meaning that while you might not feel any of the effects anymore, it might come back if you are really unlucky... :eek:
But while having that Epstein virus will it affect one physical even if it`s not coming back

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
But while having that Epstein virus will it affect one physical even if it`s not coming back
No, as long as it's in its 'sleeping' mode, it won't be affecting one. Problem is that it might reappear in full force as soon as one is fatigued, having less natural resistance and the like.
So it's pretty hard to tell when it's in fact 'over'. It may last two months, it may last six months, it may last a couple of years without any signs of it being active - and then suddenly it can pop out of the basket again.
Not unlike the herpes virus which, as far as I know, is related to EBV.

Nasty buggers those viruses are. :mad:

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
To think we demand world class tennis from a guy stricken with mono. Talk about ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
BS.

Infectious mononucleosis is the a *possible* initial clinical phase of EBV infection. After the immune system fights the virus, the virus becomes latent in the B lymphocytes. It cannot "come back" whenever. It can "come back" if the patient is immunosupressed, e.g. AIDS, chemotherapy, radiation, etc. There is also a possibility that it may be a trigger in the flares of certain autoimmune diseases, e.g. lupus. But I've never heard of it "coming back" randomly in a person with a healthy immune system.

Just to let you guys all know, about 90-95% of the human population has this virus dormant in their bodies! Most got it as a "flu"/"cold" when they were children and it never took the form of mono. Those who get it in adolesence and adulthood tend to present with mono.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, as long as it's in its 'sleeping' mode, it won't be affecting one. Problem is that it might reappear in full force as soon as one is fatigued, having less natural resistance and the like.
So it's pretty hard to tell when it's in fact 'over'. It may last two months, it may last six months, it may last a couple of years without any signs of it being active - and then suddenly it can pop out of the basket again.

Okey thanks for the help...really nice of ya. Good to know that mono wont affect roger, ancic and henin in there career if it does not pop up again

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Okey thanks for the help...really nice of ya. Good to know that mono wont affect roger, ancic and henin in there career if it does not pop up again
Main problem of that Nasty Bugger is that you never really know for sure 1) when it's 'gone' (i.e., not affecting your physical and mental state anymore), and 2) when it returns (if you are one of the unlucky people to whom that happens...).

I can only hope that Roger, in his (to me) obvious attempt to defend his #1 position wherever he can, doesn't make a mistake in dealing with this infection - playing tournaments while being ill may well mean that it takes a lot longer to fully recover. :sad:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Main problem of that Nasty Bugger is that you never really know for sure 1) when it's 'gone' (i.e., not affecting your physical and mental state anymore), and 2) when it returns (if you are one of the unlucky people to whom that happens...).

I can only hope that Roger, in his (to me) obvious attempt to defend his #1 position wherever he can, doesn't make a mistake in dealing with this infection - playing tournaments while being ill may well mean that it takes a lot longer to fully recover. :sad:
Yeah hope so to...he`s in a strange position. I hope that mono is not affecting hin anymore.... but I don`t know.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

Not joking here, but the mono shouldn't "return" unless Roger has cancer/chemotherapy, was blasted with radiation, is taking immunosupressive steroids such as prednisone, has some sort of autoimmune disease that's wrecking his immune system, AIDS, etc. These are awful things, but they're rare and really only immunosupression can lead to EBV "coming out" once it has gone latent.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I hope Roger pulls out of Miami to protect his health.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Yeah hope so to...he`s in a strange position. I hope that mono is not affecting hin anymore.... but I don`t know.
I'm afraid nobody knows for sure, not even Roger himself and/or his doctors/entourage. It can be pretty difficult to diagnose this disease in the first place, as white blood cells-count isn't always immediately telling at the first tests being done. Remember Roger first thought it was food poisoning and that he had several tests done over time in the hospital?
So asking whether it will continue affecting him... a Big Question Mark.

For how long it takes to fully recover - ask Henin, ask Ancic... it can take quite a while that's for sure. :mad: :sad:

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Not joking here, but the mono shouldn't "return" unless Roger has cancer/chemotherapy, was blasted with radiation, is taking immunosupressive steroids such as prednisone, has some sort of autoimmune disease that's wrecking his immune system, AIDS, etc. These are awful things, but they're rare and really only immunosupression can lead to EBV "coming out" once it has gone latent.
Now THAT is the biggest bunch of :bs: I have ever read on this.

Anyone who knows just a little bit about this matter should know that the virus can come back as soon as one's natural resistance is diminished. That may involve the things you said, but that's not ALL of them.

You are becoming a doctor you said? Good Help I pity your patients.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I hope Roger pulls out of Miami to protect his health.
That all depends on how he feels, and on how much risk he's willing to take to defend his points. As I said, the EBV infection doesn't always/necessarily means that you're completely grounded - the intensity of its effects varies a lot from person to person.

In Roger's case he still seems able to do pretty well. A semifinal at the AO and in IW is no little feat indeed.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts

EBV is indeed an herpes virus. And can reside on the nerves for the entire life on a sleep mode.
You're right.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
EBV is indeed an herpes virus. And can reside on the nerves for the entire life on a sleep mode.
You're right.
Thanks. That's just what I tried to explain. :D

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Thanks. That's just what I tried to explain. :D
OK, let me clear this up for you guys. EBV does not go into the nerves. It infects the B cells of your immune system, causes their massive proliferation, and this accounts the enlarged lymph nodes ("glands") that characterize mononucleosis. It's called mononucleosis because B cells are mononuclear cells in a blood smear.

It is part of the herpesviridae family of viruses, but it doesn't attack the nerves. Two other herpesviridae family viruses infect the nerves - herpes simplex virus (HSV), which causes oral or genital herpes; and varicella zoster virus (VZV), which causes shingles and chickenpox.

Muzza: weren't you saying how Fed was in good shape before he lost to Fish? Now he's having mono again. Well, which is it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts