Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Djokovic be brought down in the final?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Djokovic is very vulnerable from what I've seen of him. On the other hand, both Thiem and Zverev are playing well and have learned to bring it on the biggest stages against the strongest opposition (Thiem against Rafa and Zverev against Wawrinka). The only problem is they're facing each other. If Djokovic faced one of them in SF and the other in F, I think he'd have about a half chance of going down trophyless. Still, I feel a breakthrough in the air (if it can be called that at this point).

·
Registered
584 Posts
Theim won his last match against Novak by hitting hard groundstrokes. However, that wont work here on a slower court than the ATP Finals. It will be a tight match, but Novak is just too confident on this court -- and having won 7 finals here, wouldn't let someone defeat him in the finals. Novak will win a tight 4 setter.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I voted "no" in the poll. Because let's face it, Djokovic will be the favorite against both Thiem and Zverev. With that said, I gotta agree with OP that both Thiem and Zverev have looked more impressive than Djokovic so far. Still, it might be the case that the Serb will be able to increase his level when needed. Moreover, both Thiem and Zverev might feel the pressure if the scoreline gets tight in the latter stages of a final. As a result, I won't bet my house nor on Thiem nor on Zverev in a match for the title. But, given what we have seen so far, rating Djokovic's chances of defending the title around 77 %, as the betting market does right now, is too high. Personally, I would give Djokovic a 60 % chance against Thiem and a 65 % chance against Zverev.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thiem or Zvever have a fighting chance for sure. They've beaten him multiple times and are playing well. I still think Djokovic wins this but I wouldn't be shocked if he loses. I wouldn't have said this a couple years ago. I think that shows the progress both these guys have made (Zverev in slams, and Thiem on hard).

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My gut feeling says that zverev will win the title, he jinxed himself with this promise.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'd love to see a new slam winner but it won't happen here. Novak will beat whoever comes through the other half in 4 sets maximum. This surface suits him perfectly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Zverev has little chance against Djokovic. His best win came in 18 WTF. He has lost to him convincingly all other times. The Rome win doesn't count as Djokovic was not DJ of now.

Thiem has a decent chance but he will be mentally and physically exhausted then . He prefers slower courts but he will not be able to hit through DJs defence at these courts, and when ball bashing fails there is no backup plan for Thiem.

Medvedev would've been the only chance for a new Slam winner had he been able to get thru Wawrinka.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Zverev will lift the trophy and make less $$ than his brother and his 3rd round run at the Quimper Challenger.

·
justice for all
17,694 Posts
For me:

Zverev vs Thiem: 50/50, maybe slight edge to Dominic 55/45
Djokovic vs Thiem: 70/30
Djokovic vs Zverev: 75/25

The upset is possible but a lot will depend on what each of them brings on the table that given day.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
i wouldn't mind my compatriot winning tbh, but it remains a gargantuan task for both youngsters. if rafa in RG final is supposed to be the ultimate clay challenge then it's nole in AO final on HC.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
In the potential final I would rate Thiem's chances of an upset higher. Not that Zverev lacks weapons to beat big players but I think that this big occasion (his first GS final) would affect him more than Thiem (2-time GS finalist who beat Novak twice at slam level). So Dominic would be more dangerous to Novak, methinks. He seems mentally ready to win slams.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
In the potential final I would rate Thiem's chances of an upset higher. Not that Zverev lacks weapons to beat big players but I think that this big occasion (his first GS final) would affect him more than Thiem (2-time GS finalist who beat Novak twice at slam level). So Dominic would be more dangerous to Novak, methinks. He seems mentally ready to win slams.
this

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Both Thiem and Zverev have a solid chance, especially if they get off to a strong start. It’s no secret Djokovic isn’t always comfortable playing them, as crazy as it sounds he might prefer to have seen a 19 slam winner in the final instead.
However I think experience and nerves will be the deciding factor and should give Djokovic the slight edge.
Either way it will be really interesting to see things unfold

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Really hoping Thiem can pull it off. He definitely has the game to beat Djokovic and has already beat him at a slam twice (granted it was RG). Djokovic isn’t at that high of a level as he almost lost a set 6-1 to injured Federer but he’s probably gonna raise his level though.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Let's first wait for the other SF. If they play a cruel 5-setter, Djokovic has almost won the title. Otherwise, I think especially Thiem has reasonable chances to beat him, seeing how much difficulties he had today at the beginning against a clearly hampered Federer.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
You are betting against a guy who has got a record of 7 wins out of 7 finals here, while Thiem has yet to win a slam, here or anywhere. Djokovic chances > 80%, and Thiem's < 20%.

Thiem is not playing perfect tennis. Rafa could have beaten Thiem, if he had gotten a few things right, here and there.

On edit: Oh wait! is Thiem in the final already? However, I think he will overcome Zverev.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I disagree. Zverev had no issues handling his nerves in his 1st ever Masters and WTF final. Regardless of how Djokovic played there, Zverev played better in the final than in the matches prior. Being overwhelmed by the occasion would be the least of my concerns with him.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts