Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know how much Novak wants YE1.

This would be especially vital if Nadal loses before the final, or is 0-2 at the time of the Federer-Djokovic bout.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Don’t think Rogie would be able to humiliate Nole even if he pantsed him right in front of the O2 crowd after 40-15 to be honest

·
Registered
21,677 Posts
Tbh Federer does tend to beat Djokovic when things are on the line for Djokovic, like he has ended his winning streak at RG 11 or in the Asian Swing in 2014 or preventing him from winning Cincinnati until 2018. In those scenarios Federer doesn’t really have much to lose, while Djokovic has a lot to gain. However, when Federer has a lot to gain as well, like those Wimbledon slam finals then he crumbled. In this case, it’s more of the former, Federer doesn’t have that much to lose, it’s more of a pride match for him, while this match is clearly more important for Djokovic. So who knows. Unfortunately Djokovic is too much on Federer head as of now that it might not matter anyway.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Djokovic obviously favourite but can see him being exhausted/jaded from the loss to Thiem. If Roger can bring Basel form he has a chance to capitalise.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Rafa is going 0-3 at this rate. This match is crucial to save Roger's No.1 record.

Federer has to play quick and aggressive, this surface don't allow so much pushing.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Djokovic obviously favourite but can see him being exhausted/jaded from the loss to Thiem. If Roger can bring Basel form he has a chance to capitalise.
3 hour match and a day's rest - tiredness/fatigue won't be a factor

Fed fans talking about Basel form but completely ignoring Djokovic's current form. Almost as if other tennis players can't influence matches.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Nole wouldn't swop what happened at Wimbledon for this imo. If he goes out so be it, he didn't win ATP last two years he;s played it. He wants the slam record and will spend many more weeks at number 1 regardless.

Bigger for Fed imo, he needs some sort of statement win v Nole to stop the run of wins in this one sided match up currently. It wasn't so long ago Nadal was beating Fed consistantly on hard courts and then that all stopped last few years.

Winning tomorrow would give RF some more confidence going into any potential meeting in the slams next year, we'll see. Nole is liable to upsets on this court when you think he's gone into the last two finals as favourite and lost them.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts

Fed fans talking about Basel form but completely ignoring Djokovic's current form. Almost as if other tennis players can't influence matches.
He didnt say if Federer brings Basel form,Djokovic has no chance

·
justice for all
14,276 Posts
I'd love Fed to school faker this time but seems unlikely. He's still in his head and now after 40-15 even deeper.

But well, maybe Fed proves me wrong this time.

Come on, Rog! Send the Serbian pusher back to Sarajevo!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'd love Fed to school faker this time but seems unlikely. He's still in his head and now after 40-15 even deeper.

Wow at that last sentence. Now I have seen it all.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Tbh Federer does tend to beat Djokovic when things are on the line for Djokovic, like he has ended his winning streak at RG 11 or in the Asian Swing in 2014 or preventing him from winning Cincinnati until 2018. In those scenarios Federer doesn’t really have much to lose, while Djokovic has a lot to gain. However, when Federer has a lot to gain as well, like those Wimbledon slam finals then he crumbled. In this case, it’s more of the former, Federer doesn’t have that much to lose, it’s more of a pride match for him, while this match is clearly more important for Djokovic. So who knows. Unfortunately Djokovic is too much on Federer head as of now that it might not matter anyway.
Agree he had these peaking performances coming out of almost nowhere, 2011 French Open was the most unexpected for sure. In Paris last year he was close, so who knows...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Going by their forms..highly unlikely.. Post Wimbledon.. Roger has been pretending.. but there is a lot on his mind.. And more over surface speed etc especially is suited for Novak.

·
Registered
921 Posts

Great idea, not just to send the Serb on early Christmas vacation, but to send him to Bosnia instead of Serbia.

·
10,754 Posts
Federer will channel his inner 2019 Basel and remember 2014 Shanghai volleys.

But he will still lose.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Federer definitely has a chance but he will need to up his game big time to win. His form in his first 2 matches won’t cut it but if he can at least get close to his Basel form, he should be able to win unless Djokovic manages to up his game as well which he usually does when playing Federer so it’s hard to call this one.

·
Registered
958 Posts

like someone else said, i never stated Federer would be unstoppable in Basel form. But glad i was spot on with my observations anyway :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts