Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
I imagine a lot of countries would choose not to go also, best to can it , let’s just play all the GS’s 👍

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Yea, Japan’s done well in containing COVId without strict lockdowns. Seems silly to risk that by having tens of thousands of foreign folks converge on Tokyo at once.

Why any city would want the Olympics, I have no idea. With the exceptions of LA in 84 and Barcelona in 92, it’s a completely wasteful boondoggle. Athens 04 in no small part contributed to its financial collapse.

·
29,307 Posts
Yea, Japan’s done well in containing COVId without strict lockdowns. Seems silly to risk that by having tens of thousands of foreign folks converge on Tokyo at once.

Why any city would want the Olympics, I have no idea. With the exceptions of LA in 84 and Barcelona in 92, it’s a completely wasteful boondoggle. Athens 04 in no small part contributed to its financial collapse.
I believe Vancouver 2010 went pretty well.

·
Registered
17,697 Posts
They should just cancel it. Sure we know more about the virus and the vaccines will surely help put a clamp on the spread, but a gigantic event with people from all over the world would just undo whatever progress has been made.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
The one hurt the most is Rogie, 2016 injury and now when he's likely ready it's not happening, the 2012 singles silver will be the best he achieves in the Olympics (in singles at least, in doubles he won gold w/ Wawrinka)...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Olympics is 8 months away ffs. All of the athletes will be vaccinated by that time and the olympics will be played.
You are right that so much can change in 8 months.

However the script you quote from is not a certainty at this time. If all could wait 8 months to decide it could be simple, but many decisions have to be made well in advance, and that is a challenge.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Olympics is 8 months away ffs. All of the athletes will be vaccinated by that time and the olympics will be played.
Well but 250ish countries, most of them vaccinated with Chinese or Russian vaccines...

Not sure strict and sometimes xenophobic Japanese will trust this and accept the risk.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Well but 250ish countries, most of them vaccinated with Chinese or Russian vaccines...

Not sure strict and sometimes xenophobic Japanese will trust this and accept the risk.
Most of the vaccines administered will be US of UK based; Pfizer & Oxford vaccine.

·
Registered
59,356 Posts
I would expect vaccination will have beat COVID back quite a bit by then, so wait and see I think

The Russia ban is so obviously political, Spain got less than a slap on the wrist, Russia gets buried under the prison.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think it'll go ahead but without fans and a lot of the smaller sports and events will be withdrawn from the games.

·
Premium Member
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Most of the vaccines administered will be US of UK based; Pfizer & Oxford vaccine.
Just check who buy what and you will be surprised.... Data are on medias and OMS website...

Clic on Lab name in pink and you will find customers....

Comparez l’avancée des différents vaccins contre le Covid-19

Even European Union did not buy Pfizer and Oxford only (50% somewhere else).... Most African Asian and South American countries cannot afford 36€ and display at -70°c when Chinese and Russian are less than 10€.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts

So far, it does not really matter to the Japanese which vaccine international arrivals have used to be vaccinated.

Vaccines have been tested on ability to protect the person vaccinated from getting serious Covid-19 disease, not from people getting, or spreading the SARS-Cov-2 virus.

Even the WHO has an official advice that people who have been vaccinated should be subject to the same quarantine arrangements as everyone else at this time. Japanese would not necessarily be 'strict' to follow WHO guidelines.

It can be expected that being vaccinated will reduce risk of spread, but by how much is just not known. The CEO of Pfizer said he thought that he expects the Pfizer vaccine could reduce spread by 50%, even though the vaccine is 95% effective in protecting people from developing the disease.

At this time, vaccines can enable participants in the games to feel safe to travel, and enable vaccinated Japanese to feel safe to receive them, but any benefits on reducing spread are just not known, and could even be offset by more infectious mutations by the time of the Olympics.

Vaccines should see an end to the deaths from Covid-19, but the current wave vaccines may not eliminate spread of the virus, or for that matter, protect against long-covid. These vaccines were created in a rush to achieve one goal- reduce the deaths from 'short-covid'. At least some seem to deliver on this goal extremely well. It is 'the beginning of the end', but this goal alone is not 'the end'.

In another 8 months, we could be way closer to the end. But hard to be sure exactly where we will be with the information we have now.

I would expect vaccination will have beat COVID back quite a bit by then, so wait and see I think
Sounds wise. The problem for those planning to compete is they can need to commit well in advance.

Despite all the positive news in terms of vaccines, the next few months could be tragic. Consider the US, not the worst country in the world for Covid despite what some media say once per capita data is considered, but more an indicator of what is no doubt happening in other countries with similar per capita figures......

Hospitals in many places are so stressed, and cases keep rising. As it is death tolls in January would likely be worse than even those of December, and then you add that overloads of the medical system could make it far worse. Plus, now faster spreading viruses are arriving as well.

Public sentiment could get far worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really doubt the olympics will be cancelled. that being said if they were I wouldnt be heart broken. What needs to happen to cancel Beijing I wonder.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts