Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah this is obviously a response to the "Things you don't like about your favourite player?" thread.

My least favorite player is Roger Federer (I love & hate him at the same time).
However, I simply can't ignore or hide my admiration for his attacking playing style. Sometimes when I watch him play live or some highlights on YT I completely ignore his opponent and just focus on how he moves, how he attacks, how he goes to the net.

I think Federer is the master of spacing in this baseline era. Baseliners might have the movement, athleticism and power to grind it out. But Federer's game, even today (he turned 34 today), is much more about controlling the court, shorten or enlarge it at will. While he lacks in the physical department he excels in the smarts department: reading and dominating a rally, reading and dominating an opponent, reading and dominating a match. I love this proactive element of his game.
I'll always hate him for his fake humility, for the image he created. But I'll always bow down to his will to actually play tennis & create opportunities to take control instead of just waiting for these opportunities.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Yeah this is obviously a response to the "Things you don't like about your favourite player?" thread.

My least favorite player is Roger Federer (I love & hate him at the same time).
However, I simply can't ignore or hide my admiration for his attacking playing style. Sometimes when I watch him play live or some highlights on YT I completely ignore his opponent and just focus on how he moves, how he attacks, how he goes to the net.

I think Federer is the master of spacing in this baseline era. Baseliners might have the movement, athleticism and power to grind it out. But Federer's game, even today (he turned 34 today), is much more about controlling the court, shorten or enlarge it at will. While he lacks in the physical department he excels in the smarts department: reading and dominating a rally, reading and dominating an opponent, reading and dominating a match. I love this proactive element of his game.
I'll always hate him for his fake humility, for the image he created. But I'll always bow down to his will to actually play tennis & create opportunities to take control instead of just waiting for these opportunities.
Ugh... Disgusting post. :( Why don't you and Federer get a room!

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
My most disliked player is Tipsarevic.

I guess... he's hot? (Not my type, but he's objectively good-looking.)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh... Disgusting post. :( Why don't you and Federer get a room!
:haha:
Just yesterday I was watching some 30min highlights of the 2014 AO QF Fed-Murray. And the highlights basically only consisted of Federer attacking and making great shots. 30min highlights: 90% Fed, 10% Murray.
You know why? Because Fed was the only one actually playing tennis.
I was trying to hate him, but I simply couldn't. It was just fantastic tennis.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
:haha:
Just yesterday I was watching some 30min highlights of the 2014 AO QF Fed-Murray. And the highlights basically only consisted of Federer attacking and making great shots. 30min highlights: 90% Fed, 10% Murray.
You know why? Because Fed was the only one actually playing tennis.
I was trying to hate him, but I simply couldn't. It was just fantastic tennis.
I'm very confused. Orka's sig led me to believe you were a fedtard. Who is your favourite player then?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Milos Raonic is gorgeous, he's got a really interesting personality, he has a beautiful accent and an amazingly vibrant and authoritative voice, his dress sense is impeccable, he has the body proportions of an adonis, and he has the most complete game on the tour. Watching him play is like watching poetry in motion.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very confused. Orka's sig led me to believe you were a fedtard. Who is your favourite player then?
I love all the youngsters because they aren't PRbots yet.
First and foremost Zverev and Thiem. But I also like Coric, Kokk, Ymer, Chung, etc.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
I refuse to give a compliment to Roger Federer for the sake of political correctness. Hasn't Donald Trump taught you anything?

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
While he lacks in the physical department he excels in the smarts department: reading and dominating a rally, reading and dominating an opponent, reading and dominating a match. I love this proactive element of his game.
Whaaaat? Federer with his UE amount dominates rally? :haha: :haha: :haha: In fundamental, positional, thinking tennis he never was the best. He always was too far from Nadal in this type of game. He dominates only on 5- shots rally. If he doesn't bash the ball fast, he losses. There is much risk in his game. He can't BUILD the attacks, that's why he was/is/will be Nadal slave :dance:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whaaaat? Federer with his UE amount dominates rally? :haha: :haha: :haha: In fundamental, positional, thinking tennis he never was the best. He always was too far from Nadal in this type of game. He dominates only on 5- shots rally. If he doesn't bash the ball fast, he losses. There is much risk in his game. He can't BUILD the attacks, that's why he was/is/will be Nadal slave :dance:
That's exactly the point, Homer. Fed's not waiting for the outcome of a rally. He's trying to "BUILD the attack". No 136-shot-let's-see-what's-happening shit, no, just some plain honest I-give-you-two-or-three-shots-to-take-over-but-then-I-will-boink-your-mommy stuff.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
Stakhovsky - well he tries to be funny at least.

Milos Raonic is gorgeous, he's got a really interesting personality, he has a beautiful accent and an amazingly vibrant and authoritative voice, his dress sense is impeccable, he has the body proportions of an adonis, and he has the most complete game on the tour. Watching him play is like watching poetry in motion.
You like him for off court and on court characteristics, so what exactly is it that makes him your least fav player? (according to thread title?) :scratch:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,912 Posts
That's exactly the point, Homer. Fed's not waiting for the outcome of a rally. He's trying to "BUILD the attack". No 136-shot-let's-see-what's-happening shit, no, just some plain honest I-give-you-two-or-three-shots-to-take-over-but-then-I-will-boink-your-mommy stuff.
Some people here never watched Peak Federer. But yo say it right. Proactive and works the court brilliantly. He is not actually that powerful but when he moves you like a ragdoll left right forward and back, you feel the pressure quickly. Basically very good at closing options for his opponents and opening options for himself. That's why I've admired how Nadal dealt with that early on when they met.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
BUILD the attack is when you contol your EACH shot. Without adventurous and risk. Federer doesn't stand up and begins to bash for lucky after 5-6 shots. In baseline rally he is absolutely average player. Only servebotting and volleying save him.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BUILD the attack is when you contol your EACH shot. Without adventurous and risk. Federer doesn't stand up and begins to bash for lucky after 5-6 shots. In baseline rally he is absolutely average player. Only servebotting and volleying save him.
Man I know my English is horrible but yours is a disgrace to mankind.
I have literally no clue what the fuck you're talking about.

Again, I'm not talking about Federer being caught in a 136 shot rally, because he usually simply doesn't allow that stuff to happen. I talk about Federer taking over a rally as soon as possible, dictating the play, controlling the court, making it impossible for the baseline grinder to do what he's best at: simply grind it out. That's what I call "dominate a rally". It doesn't necessarily mean to win the rally. It just means to not rely on your opponent.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Stakhovsky - well he tries to be funny at least.

You like him for off court and on court characteristics, so what exactly is it that makes him your least fav player? (according to thread title?) :scratch:
Are you serious? Come on you can see it's sarcasm.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Probably their hot wives.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts