Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drop your fanboyinsm and be crititical for a moment. Give one thing (or more) you don't like most about your fave. I'll start.

Djokovic - heart celebration

It's so unfitting considering his on-court behaviour and impulsive nature. In some matches, when the umpire calls "game set match" furious Djokovic suddenly turns into a peaceful guy giving hearts. It looks fake. I guess it's some Pepe relict. He even does that when crowds support his rival more or with empty stands (ridiculous!). I wish he would stop it.

·
9,510 Posts
Murray - although probably needed, always hated that he always looks/acts in pain.

Kyrgios - lack of commitment

Evans - Nowhere to be seen during clay.

Zverev - Melo

Tsitsipas - Hair. Looks cool shorter

Rublev - Grunt noise

Millman - Cant be found

Pospisil - Cant be found

Sinner - On court personality

Korda - Cant be found

Kokkinakis - Made of glass

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
I imagine Djokovic fans will have plenty more to add here regarding rage, lackadaisical attitude/going away in matches carelessly, etc.

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I imagine Djokovic fans will have plenty more to add here regarding rage, lackadaisical attitude/going away in matches carelessly, etc.
Possibly but concentrate on your own imperfect fave here.

Reactions: TheEndIsNear

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Dominic: sometimes he’s too nice to his opponents, normally it’s a positive trait but I dislike it every now and then cause it maybe prevents him from winning more. Sometimes I wish he were more of a prick to intimidate his rivals on court.

Roger: sometimes he’s too pretentious with his outfits, bags etc, used to be the case at Wimbledon.

Stefanos: his Twitter and social media stuff is cringe a bit.

Stan: I don’t really approve the way he treated his wife.

Denis: his mom being part of his coach team and having too much influence on him as a player.

@Supercell - good thread 👍

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll add some more for Djoko:

Anger management/Inconsistent on-court behaviour: for some period (even in difficult moments) he can be like a robot only to explode with anger in unexpected (and unimportant) moment of the match. I guess he tames his anger (which isn't good either) but it can't be contained anymore at some point. He should work on controlling his anger (and releasing it gradually), it cost him big time at the USO.

Affection to gurus and pseudoscience

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm gonna be boring and mostly mention on court stuff. I don't really care about off the court sides of these players too much.

Thiem - being too much of a good guy on court sometimes, especially vs players he's friends with. He just can't help it I guess. And also - still having this trait to punish himself every now and then. Every once in 6-7 matches or so he gets on himself after a bad miss or a bad decision and just goes kamikaze style, which costs him a set or sometimes a match. I like people who are harder on themselves than on everybody else, but Thiem overdoes this sometimes.

Dan Evans - I like pretty much everything about him. The weaknesses in his game are out of his control really (he's just limited physically). If there's one thing I kinda don't like, I would say is him not being a very good frontrunner. Many times when he gets ahead, he would make some erratic plays and get back on even terms, only to win eventually in a more grinding way.

Jannik Sinner - it's hard to say negative stuff about young players, cause I know damn well when I was 18-19 I was doing stuff I wouldn't even talk about right now. If there's one thing I don't like (out of the 100 things I like) about him is he redlines a little bit too much. I believe with time he'll find the right formula and start winning and dominating without this.

Gian Marco Moroni - I love this guy on clay, been following him for a while and even talking to him, pushing him to go even harder and to believe in himself more. But his game outside of clay is weak and I hope he does something about it.

Nicolas Almagro - yea, he's retired, but I loved this dude and I gotta say it just for the record - his head didn't allow him to be a solid Top 10 player for a while and it still bothers me. Injuries too, of course. But he was never on par with the big time players in terms of confidence and self-belief. I wish it was different for the sake of his success, but at the same time it's one of the reasons I loved him - he was a little loco. Yeah, and fu** Berdbitch's soft ass for not shaking his hand!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dominic: sometimes he’s too nice to his opponents, normally it’s a positive trait but I dislike it every now and then cause it maybe prevents him from winning more. Sometimes I wish he were more of a prick to intimidate his rivals on court.
Yup, Dominic is such a nice guy, almost too nice to be a champion. Maybe that's why he wanted to give the USO to his friend Sascha.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
justice for all
16,228 Posts
Nicolas Almagro - yea, he's retired, but I loved this dude and I gotta say it just for the record - his head didn't allow him to be a solid Top 10 player for a while and it still bothers me. Injuries too, of course. But he was never on par with the big time players in terms of confidence and self-belief. I wish it was different for the sake of his success, but at the same time it's one of the reasons I loved him - he was a little loco. Yeah, and fu** Berdbitch's soft ass for not shaking his hand!
So true. That reminded me of that famous incident in the Youzhny match when the Russian hit his head numerous times with his racket (and eventually won this match). Maybe it should have been Nico to do it not Misha.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
So true. That reminded me of that famous incident in the Youzhny match when the Russian hit his head numerous times with his racket (and eventually won this match). Maybe it should have been Nico to do it not Misha.
Youzhny won that match?! Damn, never knew.

Reactions: Ilkae and guitarra

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
One of my favorite moments (along with the last point in his last career match)

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mischa (a renowned sports psychologist) had some difficult anger management lessons, maybe Djoko should learn from him (hit yourself, not others!)

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Federer - those bloody Wimbledon outfits

Fame and success general ruin people in a matter of months, so Federer was remarkably resistant to their influence. But finally all the glory and plaudits got to his head and he showed up to those matches like a soft old general primped up in shiny buckles and feathers. It was such an obvious manifestation of fame going to his head, that somebody around him should have stopped him.

That said, as far as the corrosive effects of fame are concerned, Federer has been impressively level-headed.

Federer - those whiny tirades in the finals of W 2007 and USO 2009

Again, these stand out as exceptions, but his complaining to the umpire in these matches was petulant and entitled.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There were no hearts given to wimbledon hooligans iirc.

Yeah, thankfully he omits it sometimes. I remember when he omitted it after his match against Edmund (Wimby'18) I was glad that old Spartan Warrior was back (in a way he was). Unfortunately he resumed his habit soon afterwards.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts