Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways. Its great he won basel beating nishikori who's been on the run of his life. What i was most impressed with federer this whole week and especially today was his movement. I don't think he's moved as well as he did at basel the whole year. A trend i noticed was he was unable to be very effective on his running forehand for quite some time this year but he has been covering that wing like vintage form this match and this past week. He's also now using his backhand slice to the forehand of his opponents rather than just to the backhand. He's also mixing up his returns more now with a fair mix of backhand drives and backhand slices whereas he has been stuck doing just one or the other primarily. His forehand has been more deadly than i've seen in a while and I think if anything this win gives federer confidence and see him making it to the finals of paris if not winning the whole thing next.

I still believe federer is getting to at least the semi's in AO 2012. I have predicted djokovic's physical demise and it is already sadly coming true. If fed can play with the movement and killer forehands he had in bercy than I believe he should win WTF as those courts are even faster and more conducive to his game.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Anyways. Its great he won basel beating nishikori who's been on the run of his life. What i was most impressed with federer this whole week and especially today was his movement. I don't think he's moved as well as he did at basel the whole year. A trend i noticed was he was unable to be very effective on his running forehand for quite some time this year but he has been covering that wing like vintage form this match and this past week. He's also now using his backhand slice to the forehand of his opponents rather than just to the backhand. He's also mixing up his returns more now with a fair mix of backhand drives and backhand slices whereas he has been stuck doing just one or the other primarily. His forehand has been more deadly than i've seen in a while and I think if anything this win gives federer confidence and see him making it to the finals of paris if not winning the whole thing next.

I still believe federer is getting to at least the semi's in AO 2012. I have predicted djokovic's physical demise and it is already sadly coming true. If fed can play with the movement and killer forehands he had in bercy than I believe he should win WTF as those courts are even faster and more conducive to his game.
Those are all nice but keep in mind he improved his footwork awhile back. His coaching staff told him if he didn't improve, a guy like Cilic would have defeated him at this USO. That's why he moved efficiently against Cilic.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Great movement, great clinical groundstrokes, above average backhand overall, sweet volleying, confident stepping in aggression..

All of which should be taken with a pinch of salt until he comes up against a better opponent than those he has had this week. It's looking positive. At this point I'd normally say we'll see at Paris, but that looks like it won't be a test either, with the other top players collapsing in a heap all around him.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Olderer is only good indoors these days.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
This is part of Federer's career where he will decline substantially while at the same time still looking good imo. Playing performances like these where he completely dominates but starts failing at the slams.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but fed is far from "falling" at slams. He's still damn near the finish line. Think about it. In fed's last 5 slam's he's gotten to semi's or better in 4 of the 5 and was match points from being in a few finals.

also realize that nadal is only declining more and will be 26 in the next few months. Djokovic's style of play is causing him all kinds of phsyical issues and will only get worse. The battle of attrition should be interesting. I foresee djokovic missin slams next year due to injuries and nadal even more so as their bodies begin to pay for their syle of plays.

·
Registered
29,237 Posts
Yes, I also thought that his footwork looked better in Basel than it has in a long time. But Shambritfan is right, it's hard to tell exactly how good he is, when he's facing opponents like these. WTF will be interesting, though.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Roger looks the youngest, fittest and freshest of the top 4. He looks more and more skinny, no tummy fat :worship:anymore.
:haha: :haha: :haha:

I thought he looked really good too, bu it's difficult to tell how he really stacks up against the top players when the most "dangerous" opponent he played in Basel was probably Wawrinka. Still, as a fan, it's gratifying to see him play like this. The forehand was simply a vision in the final yesterday.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
His highest ranked opponent in Basel was Roddick...

·
Registered
258 Posts

Yeh, now watch him play Nadal. lol.

·
Registered
837 Posts
F'n ATP journalist didi an interview with Fed after the emotional ceremony....and I still can't believe what he said; ''You got really emotional today (at the ceremony)..which is, we are normally used to seeing you Cry when you lose, rather when you win'' Roger didn't react offcourse...

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Yes, Federer surely looked good in Basel (after the rustiness shown in his first matches), but the problem is that nowadays he's perfectly capable of following up a couple of decent-to-good performances with an absolute stinker, even within matches. Apparently people have already forgotten that 2nd set in his match against Nieminen...
The first thing that goes down with an obvious decline appears to be consistency, and this shows quite clearly with Fed.

As happy as I am with his victory in Basel, I'm not forgetting that he didn't have to play the top three, who are all a couple of notches above the level of the rest of the field. That said, with the level of play Fed showed yesterday, I'm pretty sure he would have been able to deal with Djokovic as well.

As for that post-match interview - :haha:.
Pretty sure that was just a well-meant joke. Perhaps a bold/badly worded one, but I don't see the problem with it. :)

·
Banned
300 Posts
During the season Federer doesn't get as worn out as the other top players (especially because Djokovic, Murray and Nadal all rely on retrieving skills predominantly), so by the end of the year Federer is the freshest player of the top 4 and therefore finishes the year better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
During the season Federer doesn't get as worn out as the other top players (especially because Djokovic, Murray and Nadal all rely on retrieving skills predominantly), so by the end of the year Federer is the freshest player of the top 4 and therefore finishes the year better.
Or Murray, who gets booted out of most tournaments in the first round is also fresher at this stage.

This recent shake-up means nothing and order will be restored to a comfortable Nadal/Djokovic duopoly by AO '12.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Inconsistency is not a decline symptom in Fed's case. Rog has never been consistent, even in his peak years he used to check out for a couple of games/sets and then come back when it really mattered.
His edge over most players was too big to notice that, Fed never played a match being 100% focused throughout, maybe with few exceptions.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Inconsistency is not a decline symptom in Fed's case. Rog has never been consistent, even in his peak years he used to check out for a couple of games/sets and then come back when it really mattered.
His edge over most players was too big to notice that, Fed never played a match being 100% focused throughout, maybe with few exceptions.
I just happen to gracefully disagree with you here.
Yes, Federer NEVER EVER was the most mentally tough throughout his career, but one cannot deny that his mental lapses - leading up to said inconsistencies - have become a lot worse the past three years or so.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts