Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Wasn't Monfils with Champion before he decided to head off to the States and Benhabiles?

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually you're right, Monfils was with Champion when he reached his best ever ranking... That's why Team Lagardere decided to screw over Paulo

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Wasn't Monfils with Champion before he decided to head off to the States and Benhabiles?
You're skipping a few episodes here. After Champion, he worked with Gautier (AO 2007). Then with Delaître (until Rom 2007). And then he decided to leave for the States and work with Benhabiles.
He already explained a few weeks ago he wouldn't keep working with Benhabiles who couldn't follow him on the tour the way he wanted it - and it's true that Benhabiles was only there for a couple of tournaments (RG and Wimbledon + Washington). So when he was there, it was very effective, but most of the time, Monfils was alone on the tour, which is the worst possible thing for him.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Not got time to translate it word for word, but here is the gist:

- Mathieu loses his coach, Thierry Champion, because of an internal movement in the Lagardère team.
- This movement was brought about by Monfils' decision to return to the group after 14 months away from it.
- This is the same team (Monfils and Champion) that saw Monfils to a career-high #23 - hence the decision to "reunite" them.
- It was suggested to Mathieu that he work with Monfils (i.e. share Champion) - he doesn't see that happening. He feels like "the victim ("turkey" in his words) of a practical joke." "We are a month from leaving for Australia, on the back of the best season of my career, and they do this to me. I had heard rumours as regards Gael's return but it seemed, to me, impossible that it would happen like this."
- Rémi Barbarin, 'head of development' for the Largardère team, is trying to find a solution for Paulo, who will work, for now, with Patrice Hagelauer.
- It seems that the big winner from this coaching shuffle is Monfils - he was favoured, over Paulo, for his sporting and media potential.

I apologise if anything is incorrect.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
Monfils will have a lot to prove then, next season.

Not really surprised that Monfils is favoured over Paulo for his media potential...Paulo has no personality from what I can see. :tape:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think it's about personality (yes, I support Paulo :lol: ) : Paulo has been on the ATP tour for a longer time than Gael, he disappointed us a bit, whereas Gael is young, and has about the same high ATP ranking as Paulo....... No wonder he has a better "media potential"... :eek:

I hope Gael will collapse :devil:

·
Registered
18,903 Posts
Not got time to translate it word for word, but here is the gist:

- Mathieu loses his coach, Thierry Champion, because of an internal movement in the Lagardère team.
- This movement was brought about by Monfils' decision to return to the group after 14 months away from it.
- This is the same team (Monfils and Champion) that saw Monfils to a career-high #23 - hence the decision to "reunite" them.
- It was suggested to Mathieu that he work with Monfils (i.e. share Champion) - he doesn't see that happening. He feels like "the victim ("turkey" in his words) of a practical joke." "We are a month from leaving for Australia, on the back of the best season of my career, and they do this to me. I had heard rumours as regards Gael's return but it seemed, to me, impossible that it would happen like this."
- Rémi Barbarin, 'head of development' for the Largardère team, is trying to find a solution for Paulo, who will work, for now, with Patrice Hagelauer.
- It seems that the big winner from this coaching shuffle is Monfils - he was favoured, over Paulo, for his sporting and media potential.

I apologise if anything is incorrect.
Thanks for the summary, Jez :)

Idiotically hilarious.

Whatever, who needs Champion anyway! :p

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
You're skipping a few episodes here. After Champion, he worked with Gautier (AO 2007). Then with Delaître (until Rom 2007). And then he decided to leave for the States and work with Benhabiles.
He already explained a few weeks ago he wouldn't keep working with Benhabiles who couldn't follow him on the tour the way he wanted it - and it's true that Benhabiles was only there for a couple of tournaments (RG and Wimbledon + Washington). So when he was there, it was very effective, but most of the time, Monfils was alone on the tour, which is the worst possible thing for him.
Benhabiles was with him in New Haven too, maybe USO? They seemed to be drilling Gael in practice about serve placement as well as speed.

·
Registered
17,349 Posts
Benhabiles would probably have been there for the USO, yes. But he didn't play.
Anyway, I was just reporting what Monfils said in interviews a few weeks ago already and it's true he was alone at many tournaments, I noticed that too - before the French Open (Zagreb, Pörtschach), after Wimbledon (Gstaad, Stuttgart), after the US Open (Bucharest, Szeczin)... That's the reason why they decided to split according to him.

Not sure about the move back to Champion, I didn't find his time with Champion very impressive in regards to his game. He improved much more with Benhabiles.
Champion seemed to get along very well with PHM, so the decision is very surprising.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yeah, I thought Gael was progressing nicely with Benhabiles. Benhabiles had just had been having family emegencies hadn't he?

·
F***ing have it
17,660 Posts
Lagardere has Monfils, Gasquet, PMH .. :aplot:

·
29,645 Posts
Lagardere has Gasquet, together in bliss.

PHM is more talented than Monfils. Gael is a grinder, PHM a shotmaker.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Champion was only meant to be a stopgap solution initially for Mathieu and it worked out very well to get his best ever career season.

As for working with Monfils again, well time to step it up Gael.

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
It is time for Monfils to decide how he wants to play and develop his game, so far it is a waste of his extraordinary athleticism.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts