Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm not particulary the one to open threads since most of the time people are ahead of me. Also, I'm kind of an introvert person but let's give it a try, shall we.

After tonight's showcase against Djokovic, Thiem's H2H records against the members of the Big 3 are as follows :

5-2 vs the maestro
6-9 vs the bull
5-7 vs the ... well... Djokovic

Since both Djoko and Rafa have stated multiple times they're planning on playing as long as possible, it seems plausible and feasible for Thiem to overtake both H2H records within the foreseeable future.

He used to be a 'mug' (stating the majority of MTF's usage of words) but has since turned things around and has developed quite the all-court game (barring grass). We can therefore conclude that there'll be many more matchups to come between Domi and the Big 3 (although, Federer is a big question mark at this very moment, we'll have to wait and see if he's still able to get that far into tournaments).

Besides Rafa at RG, who showcased he's still unbeatable at Philippe Chatrier, Thiem, in my book, is capable of beating them everywhere and also has developed the mental game for it (I mean what in the world was that today, the balls on that guy ... He would immediately sink to the bottom of the ocean if he went for a swim).

A couple of questions I have for you all :

• Do you think Domi will overtake the H2H's versus Djoko and Rafa and why?
  • If so, does it solely has to do with the fact that Domi is much younger than the aforementioned? Clearly Rafa and Djoko are more accomplished, so what is it then?
  • Can we extrapolate answers to the H2H between, for example, Federer and Djoko?
  • Please add other questions if they come to mind with you guys and gals

Discuss respectfully please. No GOAT debates etc.

Thanks and enjoy the Rafa - Medvedev match.
Greetings,
NotoriousTDB

·
justice for all
16,242 Posts
I think Dominic has a chance to have at least 50% combined record vs BIG3 (currently is at 16-18, so only 2 more wins needed to close the gap).

However I really doubt it he'll turn around both H2H-s vs Rafa and Novak. Not enough time left and may still lose to any of them - it's not like he clearly dominates any of them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Will he overtake Rafa and Novak in head to head? Possible, depends on how long they continue to play. In all honestly it won't mean much if he does though considering Nadal and Novak will clearly be past their prime. Kind of like his 5-2 head to head against Fed, doesn't mean much. By the way this is just another prime example why head to head is probably the most overrated stat in tennis especially when there is a big age gap between the players . Still if you can have the head to head against the three best ever when your career is over you rather have that than not have it obviously.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Probably will have a positive H2H vs the Big 3.
But if slams dont come regularly it wont have an impact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts