Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great efforts by both, both deserved to be co champions. One shot or two decided it. Fourth final for Thiem and he grabbed it, experience the difference maker. But Zverev won our hearts. He showed tremendous class the whole tournament and the heartbreaking final. Total respect for this example and performance and how he accepted the worst loss of his life. How he broke down thinking of the two people who put him in this position - his dear parents who missed being there live. Heart felt emotions showed by the classy Russian German. I love Thiem, he's pure class too but Zverev really grew on me today and I'm now a proud fan. He showed far more class in defeat than that idiot Osaka and her goonball boyfriend did in victory.

Big respect for Domi Thiem and Sasha Zverev for playing one of the best US Open finals ever.

Registered
Nice post and I totally agree.
I always knew that Sascha is this sensitive and emotional guy :)馃挄

Registered
Both very likeable players. Zverev has been through a lot. I hope he uses this loss to become a better player.

Registered
liked both. shame either lost. Zverev reminded me of Murray when he lost at Wimby right before he won the olympics at same site

Registered
When Zverev shows some humility he'll win my heart. He makes it out as if he's on the same level of the Big 3. I would almost admire his arrogance if he was able to back it up even slightly - but he can't.

Until then...

Registered
No he didn鈥檛...he could have lost to PCB to begin with

Reactions: Bakano

Registered
When Zverev shows some humility he'll win my heart. He makes it out as if he's on the same level of the Big 3. I would almost admire his arrogance if he was able to back it up even slightly - but he can't.

Until then...
Exactly it reminds me of this Shakespeare quote:
鈥淭he devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
An evil soul producing holy witness
Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart.
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!鈥

Registered
This was a horrible match. Everytime a player was ahead he played chokey tennis. Based on this performance neither one deserved to be a grand slam champion.
As to some tearjerking story or behavior it is irrelevant. I watch sports. I am a sports fan not a soap opera fan.

Registered
Which hearts? On this forum, he basically looks like the main villain of ATP together with Djocovid, now when Nadal is MIA.

Registered
He was very cute with Thiem, definitely a fan now

Premium Member
To be fair, one thing Zverev seems to have improved a ton is his temper. A year ago in this very same scenario he would've been smashing racquets, complaining nonstop, throwing tantrums.

Nowadays he looks so calm, even when things go the other way and his level drops significantly, he doesn't look bothered at all. Which is a good thing. Being cold-blooded in key moments is the difference between a net and a winner.

I respect that.

Reactions: Meddy B盲r

Registered
Thiem is better at tennis, Zverev is better at speeches.

F***ing have it
Ferrerev, Push Servebot:LOL:

Banned
I've noticed there's an ebook on amazon about this match, called 'Facing Thiem&Zverev', very recommended I know the author personally.

Registered

Until then...
Exactly. When he shows humility on the court and maybe less braggadocio then he might win more hearts. He loves his parents and appreciates their sacrifices. That doesn't change his previous behavior and attitude. He's what 23? It's fine to be brash but he comes across as entitled and full of himself at times.

He is confident but he believes he's better than he actually is and by a large margin. Maybe the GS final loss will make him more humble. Probably not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts