Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With that mentality.
Fights back only to give it away easily.
DF on SP, easy UE while serving to stay in the set.
This is why he always loses the big matches, lost the WTF, 4 masters finals, 2 GS finals etc.
Only big title he won was against Fed, who is even a bigger choker than he is.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Double faults and unforced errors are not "mentality", they are off target shots that always happen in tennis.

Mentality, to me, is how you bounce back from them things, and how you consolidate when you are playing well. I see no issues with Thiem in that way.
DFs and UEs at crucial moments of the game are a sign of mentality and choking. Otherwise they are not, aggressive shotmakers tend to make them. But a t crucial moments it's a sign.

·
Banned
19,217 Posts
Double faults and unforced errors are not "mentality", they are off target shots that always happen in tennis.

Mentality, to me, is how you bounce back from them things, and how you consolidate when you are playing well. I see no issues with Thiem in that way.
Of course its mental. Its not technical. But its also been the physical accumulation of things.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
He is after all an integral part of Generation Useless. So can he possibly win anything..

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Does this mean if they're on opposite halves of the draw at the 2020 FO that Thiem will lose the 2020 FO F to Rafa (i.e. this time in 5 sets)??

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,712 Posts
Hold on just a minute, I thought he surpassed Nadal on HC? After all MTF was in full agreement of this earlier this week..

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
He may win one or two, and so may the other young guys. You cannot bank on anyone of them, so, they all will have equal chances of winning slams after the ever-consistent Big 3 retire.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
He’s not the best in big moments, but he’s improved a lot and I think he’s a gradual learner. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t win a slam.

He keeps getting in good positions and he’ll convert at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,101 Posts
Will win a RG

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
RG 2020 or 21

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
He'll win a couple of slams, possibly as early as this year's RG. Much like Murray in 2008-2012 if you keep putting yourself in SF/F positions you're bound to win one eventually.

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
No man who has reached 3 GS Finals has failed to eventually win one. Thiem's not going to be the first either, due to his age and his development. He is also only 2700 points back of world number one, by far the closest any of generation useless has gotten to that mark.

He will have his chances between now and the FO to get to number one.

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
This is typically the kind of shit post after such a GS final defeat. Overreaction. Dominic lost 2 finals in RG against the King of the tournament and he lost this AO final against the best player here for more than a decade. Nothing to be ashamed of. Dominic showed a lot of signs of improvement in this tournament and will have other chances in the future. It is a missed opportunity but he is 26 and still have many years of top tennis left.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
He is running out of time.

Nadal in Australia looked better than he looked ( in Australia that is ) for a while. And by very narrowly losing to Thiem he made himself a major service - he was not winning this tournament anyway, but another match could easily get him injured as 2-3 tough straight best-of-five matches on hard very often do to him recently.
This was he is healthy and is still a major odds on favourite to win RG. If Thiem choked it against flaking Nole today, holding its own against Nadal in Paris is next level of difficulty.
I see likely Nadal holding on in Paris for another year or two.
Thiem's chances at W are very small.
And on hardcourts Nextgen is better, plain better than him. This tournament was an anomaly, with most of Nextgen screwing things up primarily out of inexperience. This will happen less and less.

This tournament was a lucky break for Thiem. Him winning 5 tiebreaks in a row against very tough opponents was not only the evidence of his undoubtedly grown confidence and skills but also major luck. Even with one of those tiebreaks flipping chances are he'd be belly up before the finals.
And in finals.. Nole is not accustomed to maintaining perfect form for long. Especially at this age it's increasingly difficult. Novak had been masterful in last years at managing to peak for Slam's forthnight, especially in Australia, given the luxury of preseason preparation time. But this time he seemed to have done a worse job with that, expending energy in Davis/ATP Cup and clearly peaking up before the AO finals because of that. Which got him ( not as much Thiem's game ) on the ropes today, ckearly struggling physically.

And then Thiem made the same mistake Medvedev did against Wawrinka. Took a cornered and desperate lion for mortally wounded and doomed
He might not get that kind of lucky , easy chance again.

·
Registered
709 Posts
What is with these threads? Nole barely beats Thiem in AO final, and all of a sudden "Nole will win CYGS" and "Thiem will never win a GS". Nole loses to Wawrinka at USO and all of a sudden "Nole will never win a slam again". And so on, and so on...

Jeez. Calm down people.

Thiem is a great player and one of the main slam contenders in the next 5-6 years. He'll win a slam, probably several.

Murray lost his first 4 GS finals before winning a slam. Didn't stop him from winning 3.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts