Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JMDP & Cilic > Thiem

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who is the more accomplished player at the moment(thiem will surpass the other 2 eventually)?
All 3 have won 1 slam(Del potro's run was the most impressive IMO), 1 masters and had other achievements and are comparable achievements wise overall.

Reactions: skytennis

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Delpo

By miles

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
7,991 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Delpo never played that consistent due to injuries, cilic neither due to different reasons. Thiem is a steady improving world #10 contender for years now, that was never true for the other 2

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This. He got 2 olympic medals so it isn't close atm.
I have to disagree with this, getting a bronze and silver medals are nice and all but its still not a tournament win, how is this much different then losing a GS final, here you just get a medal for this instead of a plate. Not to mention thiem has 2 more slam finals than JMDP.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lol, Thiem already has a better resume than both Delpo and Cilic. Thiem is consistent unlike the other two. It is true that on their day, both Delpo and Cilic are bigger big 3 slayers than Thiem, but you cannot ignore consistency.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
29,637 Posts
Their careers are pretty much identical although del Potro's Olympic medals give him the edge.

He probably has the best level of the three too

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D. Thiem:
GS: 1 title, 3 finals, 2 SF and a QF.
Olympics: -
WTF: 1 final
Masters: 1 title and another 2 finals.
500: 5 titles and 1 final
250: 10 titles and 3 finals (overall finals record: 17-10)

JM. Del Potro:
GS: 1 title, 1 final, 4 SF and 7 QFs.
Olympics: 1 silver and 1 bronze
WTF: 1 final + 1 SF
Masters: 1 win and 3 finals
500: 9 titles and 4 finals
250: 11 titles and 3 finals (overall finals record: 22-13)

M. Cilic:
GS: 1 title, 2 finals, 2 semis and 8 QFs.
Olympics: nothing significant
WTF: never made it past RR
Masters: 1 win
500: 2 titles and 4 finals
250: 14 titles and 8 finals (overall finals record: 18-14)

Based on this and how I personally value each category I think I will give Del Potro the edge just by a bit(thiem will pass his in the future, thats pretty much set in stone), followed closely by Thiem and than Cilic.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Lol, Thiem already has a better resume than both Delpo and Cilic. Thiem is consistent unlike the other two. It is true that on their day, both Delpo and Cilic are bigger big 3 slayers than Thiem, but you cannot ignore consistency.
As a fan of Thiem, I'm happy to see him ranked ahead of Delpo and Cilic. :D

Comparing the big 3 slaying capability of Thiem and Cilic, though, I say the edge goes to Thiem. True enough, Cilic played a fantastic match in USO 2014 against Federer. But no matter how good he played that day, that is just one match.

On the other hand, Cilic has a 5-33 h2h against big three as a collective. By contrast, Thiem has made it close with an impressive 14-18 record. One can argue that on average, Cilic has faced a stronger version of big three (more matches played in their prime). As far as I can see, though, this is not enough to compensate for the big difference in match win percentage.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Again, career as said before it's not the same as better player / peak level. The latter is clear, Delpo took it to the best and beat them in their prime, Thiem barely survived a player with no second serve and no FH. Delpo demolishes a Zverev like level and eats them for a non nutritious breakfast . the big3 were lucky on Juan injuries . How many comebacks to top form has he pulled . USO 09' has more quality USO 20'.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Del Potro and it isn't even close. None of the others can be trusted to save the tennis realm against the next gens. Del Po did it for years.He also won a real slam in the strong era.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
del Potro is clearly the best player out of them, but we only seen the highest level he displayed for the summer in 2009. He never reached his potential high due to injuries.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Delpo, Thiem, Cilic

i expect it to be Thiem, Cilic (have a feeling he will have another final run at some point), and Delpo (unfortunately I think he’s done competing seriously for big titles) by the end of their careers though

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Did you really put mugic and Del Goatro in the same sentence. Delpo was the first player to beat Nadal and Fed in the same slam. His forehand is the stuff of legends. These mugs today aint got shit on him.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
When healthy Del Potro is the most consistent of the three.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Thiem will end up being the most accomplished player. Del Potro is the best. The fact he has a similar CV as the other two being injured 60% of the time speaks volumes, also that he achieved what he did while playing significantly superior versions of the Big 3 as the other two.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
THiem is several years younger, so not really a fair comparison.
Delpo has lost so much time to injury
Cilic is hot and cold

I think this is an impossible "compare these 3" proposition

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Stupid thread ofc. Comparing injury free player against injury prone...Not to mention Potro had to deal with prime BIG3 whereas Thiem shows some resistance against 30++ BIG3...Don't get me wrong,Thiem still deserves the credit,cause others still suck.But this comparison is just lol

I can compare Thiem with Wawa mb,in future ofc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts