Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my feeling when i saw the improved HC game of Thiem in the Asian swing/indoor season, was that he has a shot at becoming #1 this year

now he reached the final of AO, might even win it who knows..

beating Rafa should boost his confidence for RG, also he is long over due for his first clay M1000

he is not as bad on grass court as people think, just tough luck in the past few Wimbledons.. almost reached SF 3 years ago (he lost a tight 4R against peak serving Berdych, who got a retirement next round from Novak)
he also won a grass tournament 4 years ago

US Open he also really likes to play there

just needs to stay healthy and injury free.. what ya all think?

·
justice for all
17,530 Posts
It's possible but still a long way to go:

1) first needs to defend the majority of his Sunshine Double points (1000 for IW)
2) secondly at the very least defend his clay points - ideally win RG + 1 masters to add some points
3) then have a good WM - USO stretch - that's where he has tons of points to gain due to early exits last year

If these 3 fall into place it's perfectly possible that by the end of USO we could have a new World Number One.

But let's not get too excited my fellow Domi fans. :p First things first - let's try to win Sunday's final and get the maiden slam under his belt.
I guarantee you that if Dominic loses half of MTF will call him a HC mug who has fragile mentality and will never win a slam. Oh, MTF...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Every time a young(ish) player is having a good run people say he will be number 1, they did it with medvedev last year, zverev beforehand and what not, Sure, if he can sustain this level throughout the year than yeah, he can be n.1, he can play great on clay and HC but he is so far inconsistent, and failed to deliver at the biggest moments(he lost 2\3 of his masters finals, he lost his 2 slam finals and the WTF final).

With the big 3 getting old, inconsistent(compared to their prime) and just more beatable its bound to happen eventually, thiem have a very good chance but its too early to call.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thiem's best level is really high and might be enough for a number one player. During 2019 he also reduced his schedule somewhat, which lowered the number of odd losses. Still, he lost a few too many matches to average ATP players, and it seems like Thiem's Achilles heel is the consistency. At least this is true if we compare him with those that are ahead of him. But if he can increase his base level a bit, he might have a shot at number one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
He certainly looks like he'll reach #3 fairly soon. After that, who knows. He is defending Indian Wells and Barcelona, but even if he doesn't quite replicate his performances of last year, he can gain some serious points in Miami, Rio, Madrid and Rome, and most importantly of course at Wimbledon and the US Open. I can see Thiem getting close to 10,000 points after the US Open if he continues his current form, and then it will depend on Djokovic and Nadal whether this will be enough for #1.

·
Registered
10,860 Posts
Seems a bit of a stretch. Let's first see if he can win his maiden slam on Sunday. Becoming #1 requires something extraordinary, and Murray needed to sacrifice his health to achieve that.

Thiem needs at least a stretch of brilliance like Medvedev during last year's summer before we can talk about him becoming Number One.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Who is the last player to be #2 outside of the big 4? It seems that no active player (I think) has reached it.

I think Roddick is the last #1, but was there someone else who only got to #2 in the last 16 years?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
his game has developed very well now, strong against top players, much better on Hard courts, consistent on clay of course- he's certainly earned my respect as a player, his movement is phenomenal, the backhand is sublime and the forehand has great power; even the serve is powerful! I think he has to get to number 1 and potentially this year

·
Registered
696 Posts
Every time a young(ish) player is having a good run people say he will be number 1, they did it with medvedev last year, zverev beforehand and what not, Sure, if he can sustain this level throughout the year than yeah, he can be n.1, he can play great on clay and HC but he is so far inconsistent, and failed to deliver at the biggest moments(he lost 2\3 of his masters finals, he lost his 2 slam finals and the WTF final).

With the big 3 getting old, inconsistent(compared to their prime) and just more beatable its bound to happen eventually, thiem have a very good chance but its too early to call.
That's true, still I think the situation is a bit different. Thiem never had a hot run like Medvedev in 2019 or Zverev in 2017, but he also never had any big drops in level like them. While their peaks kinda came out of nowhere, Thiem's entire career since 2014 has been a slow, but steady ascent, and now he's finally in a position where he can consistently challenge for big titles.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That's true, still I think the situation is a bit different. Thiem never had a hot run like Medvedev in 2019 or Zverev in 2017, but he also never had any big drops in level like them. While their peaks kinda came out of nowhere, Thiem's entire career since 2014 has been a slow, but steady ascent, and now he's finally in a position where he can consistently challenge for big titles.
Yeah, but when he almost beat nadal at the UO 18 many thought he finally broke through on HC but last season, other then the IW title, FO and some minor tournaments after UO and the WTF he was pretty bad, with r2, and 2 round 1 losses at slams.

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
If he wins Australia he is not that far away actually, and I am pretty certain he gets there if he wins Aus.

He defends Indian Wells and Barcelona which seems like alot, however if he can just win Rio, where he lost early last year defending Barcelona becomes a bonus.

As far as Indian Wells, he may not win it again but he very well might. But if he does well there again and improves in Miami, he might not lose too many points over both events since he lost early in Miami last year.

Then he can really make up a lot of ground at the clay masters, and him Djokovic and Nadal will be really close going into Roland Garros. If he doesn't get quite there after RG but performs well he has not too much to defend between WIm-USOPEN compared to the competition, so the door will really be wide open.

·
Registered
746 Posts
He is a good player, and IMO the most likely next #1 out of the current "younger" generation.

He is 26, though, the oldest of that next generation, and not a young gun anymore. At his age, each of the Big 3 had at least 7 slams under their belt, so I don't expect him to turn into another ATG.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
He is a good player, and IMO the most likely next #1 out of the current "younger" generation.

He is 26, though, the oldest of that next generation, and not a young gun anymore. At his age, each of the Big 3 had at least 7 slams under their belt, so I don't expect him to turn into another ATG.
He can, not on their level obviously but look at wawrinka, he was almost 29 when he won his first slam, and thiem has the potential to be more consistent and with an older big 3, so its possible he will win about 5 slams in the next 5-7 years. He might not win one at all though, he has better chance then the rest of the younger players(he is not young in terms of tennis, he should be in his prime).

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
After his last HC results (final at this AO and at the ATP finals) it looks like Thiem is approaching his peak. Given his improved HC game and obvious strength on clay he has to be considered most likely guy to become next non-Djokodal #1. Will it happen this year? I don't know. It will be difficult (Djokodal are still going strong) but it cannot be ruled out. Let's see how the AO final unfolds - if he wins his chances for #1 at some point in 2020 will definitely increase. This year for the first time ever I feel that Thiem will have a decent chance to beat Nadal at RG (in previous years I considered him a huge underdog against Nadal there).

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
He will be the next #1, this year or the next. Djokovic is not having great results outside slams quite often, Nadal has some time away with injuries and Federer plays not a lot of tournaments. Now that he's great on HC as well and not just on clay I think he has a very strong chance. He has to win AO or RG though, two runner-up plates won't be enough.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
The main priority is to win his maiden GS title. If he can win on Sunday in Melbourne or in 5 months in RG, his chances to become number one this year will increase but let's go step by step, first he needs to win as GS and also to win some Masters 1000. I am already fine with at top 4 position which will ensure him better draws in the big tournaments in the coming months.

·
Registered
17,840 Posts
His earlier chances to be No. 1 could be after Wimbledon. The rankings since that are something like this

1. Medvedev 4795
2. Djokovic 4465
3. Nadal 4370
4. Thiem 3865

If he won this sunday he would be 130 points behind Medvedev in the race until that date. And also would be the No 1 since Asian season until here.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts