Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well said Dom.....

No, I do not understand. If you don’t want to play, you stay at home. If you are not motivated, nobody forces you to play.”

Dominic Thiem suggests Benoit Paire a vacation
Thiem gave an example of himself to show where Paire is wrong. Earlier in an interview, Thiem had confessed having mental health troubles. Thus, along with a physical injury, he took some time out to rejuvenate himself and bring back his motivation. He questioned why Paire couldn’t take that route or go on a vacation instead.

“I think what I did is better: I took some time, canceled my participation in three or four tournaments, and at some point the motivation returns. Once you get out on the track, I think you should be able to compete, even if you are not 100 percent. But if you don’t feel like playing, you better take a vacation,” Thiem said. (quotes have been translated)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thiem is obviously right,
but this whole thing proves the current system is not good.
Paire is a dick, but in the end he didn't do anything illegal, and he kept replying to haters that he was making good money, despite losing every matches

Maybe it's time for change and reduce prize money for R1 losses - it should only pay only for costs and travels
and we can then increase prize money for players actually winning matches

If players are not motivated to win matches, prize money will

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Paire is a dick, but in the end he didn't do anything illegal, and he kept replying to haters that he was making good money, despite losing every matches

Maybe it's time for change and reduce prize money for R1 losses - it should only pay only for costs and travels

For Paire it makes sense but it’s important not to make too radical a change for one asshole. These guys earned their ranking and being around the Top100 should earn you a very good living imo.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would rather travel the world and collect R1 cheques. Thiem can stay home like he did.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
They're all newgen spoiled entitlists probably raking in more than they're worth & deserve no sympathy from anyone & that goes for Paire & Thiem. Showing little or no respect for talented guys of yesteryear like Rosewell, Gonzalez or even Laver who paved the way for them earning a fraction of current prizemoney even when indexed for inflation. It’s also amazing to discover the difference in attitudes over these matters between this younger gen. & the guys just a little over 5 years older like Nadovic.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts

One or a few tanking players should not prevent lower ranked players to make a decent income by punishing exactly these lower ranked players.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
But the ATP should ensure that those who are happy to lose 1st round are replaced with players who will work hard and want to win and give a good fight. And those players need the money.
They should work hard to earn enough points to be in the MD like Paire, who doesn't have to lift a finger.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Thiem knows what he is talking about. He is the one qualified to say this.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts

I don't think first round prize money is the issue (except for slams where it is really too high...).. The elephant in the room is that Paire kept a good enough ranking to be able to enter those tournaments.

·
24,387 Posts
They should work hard to earn enough points to be in the MD like Paire, who doesn't have to lift a finger.
You don't know Paire is gaming the current system as 3 years of points are being counted, with the 3 years prior being 50%, right?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't think first round prize money is the issue (except for slams where it is really too high...).. The elephant in the room is that Paire kept a good enough ranking to be able to enter those tournaments.
True enough. The changing of the ranking systemt due to the pandemic is obviously a big factor as zjtennis points out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
One or a few tanking players should not prevent lower ranked players to make a decent income by punishing exactly these lower ranked players.
You obviously missed the part where I said you increase prize money in R2, R3, etc

No one said less money should be distributed.
But more money should be distributed after wins, and less after losses, it's as simple as that
Being in the MD and participating and losing is not an accomplishment, and shouldn't be rewarded as much as it is today

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yes, Thiem should pay Paire the money.

Show him the money, Dominic.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
You obviously missed the part where I said you increase prize money in R2, R3, etc

No one said less money should be distributed.
But more money should be distributed after wins, and less after wins
Being in the MD and participating and losing is not an accomplishment, and shouldn't be rewarded as much as it is today
Well I didn't miss that but most lower ranked players will have lower chance to get through R1. I think Paire kind of behaviour should be fined instead of punishing other players with lowering R1 prize money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thiem is right of course! Paire is disrespecting the game and himself with his attitude. Good news is it sound like Domi has his mojo back! :LOL:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well I didn't miss that but most lower ranked players will have lower chance to get through R1. I think Paire kind of behaviour should be fined instead of punishing other players with lowering R1 prize money.
Well any player in the top 100-150 does win matches at some point in the season, right
Lower ranked players that loose in R1 one week 1, would win in R1 in a different event in week 2, and
instead of making 5k+10k would make 2k+13k, and it balances out.

I'm sorry but your solution of fining someone just because he looses matches doesn't sound ideal either
You can fine someone for trash-talking or unsporting behavior, but not strictly based on performances (in other words, based on opinion). Where do you draw the line ?

Remember that two months ago, some people here wanted to fine Basilashvili and to prevent him from entering tournaments, because he had lost something like 10 consecutive matches. And in the last 2 months, he won 2 tournaments beating Federer along the way.

Do you realize how difficult (almost impossible, and obviously unfair) to "judge" a player's performance. I don't know about you, but I'm happy that there are currently no fines and measures based on subjectivity

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Well any player in the top 100-150 does win matches at some point in the season, right
Lower ranked players that loose in R1 one week 1, would win in R1 in a different event in week 2, and
instead of making 5k+10k would make 2k+13k, and it balances out.

I'm sorry but your solution of fining someone just because he looses matches doesn't sound ideal either
You can fine someone for trash-talking or unsporting behavior, but not strictly based on performances (in other words, based on opinion). Where do you draw the line ?

Remember that two months ago, some people here wanted to fine Basilashvili and to prevent him from entering tournaments, because he had lost something like 10 consecutive matches. And in the last 2 months, he won 2 tournaments beating Federer along the way.
I don't know about you, but I'm happy that there are currently no fines and measures based on subjectivity
Good post. I agree, although in the specific Paire situation I think his comments were already enough for a fine (for example this: A French tennis star appeared to say he purposely aims to lose in the 1st round of pandemic-era tournaments so he can earn easy money then relax). But it's a translation so it might be less accurate

1 - 20 of 53 Posts