Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I admire Fedalovic's good intentions, but it's clear, once again, the big tennis associations are sitting back and watch the top guys handling things. These associations have become richer than rich because of these top players. Now it's time for them to give something back in return for once. Tennis is a very rich sport, but even the top men/women players don't see enough of this in return. It's time for ATP/WTA/ITF to unite when helping lower ranked players. They can cooperate with national associations asking them who really needs financial support.
A very sound post ,IMO the correct way to take on this issue. No other is valid for me like fairness or bs. Atp has milked the big 3 more than enough , its time for them to (seriously) think and act on the future of the sport without them. Yeah I think they became bigger than the sport, and no one can deny that and once thats over it will something like the corona situation where it already hit us and we dont know how to face it, it is already too late . It caught us off guard and unprepared. The same would happen if say the big 3 call it quit tomorrow. Something gotta be done in advance to prepare for that, Im talking in the context of a pandemic and travel restrictions possibly denying us the sport as we know it for a long long time

Edit : off the top of my head , and I dont know how here, first start to financially support tennis as local sport like every other sport does at local level. Arrange some big touneys and try to sell it globally through tv. Ok, do something its what Im saying

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
6,644 Posts

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,403 Posts
Not sure I understand Thiem or those defending him. He doesn’t want to help other tennis players, but would rather those more in need. Here’s an idea, do both. Djokovic has donated millions to Serbia, Italy and Spain and is still helping the tour. Thiem you’ve made enough to do the same.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Thiem's argument is simply absurd.

He's basically saying no money for tennis pros as long as there are Covid-19 patients fighting to stay alive in intensive care unites. That is a false choice. He falsely believes that the money is more needed by those dying covid patients. Except it's not the case (in broader global sense). They are dying because of not lack of money but lack of a ventilator, medicines and vaccines. But these are problems that take time to solve and simply can't be solved tomoorow even if all of Thiem's money & everyone else's money in whole world is thrown at them (because it takes a long time to manufacture a hightly specialized equipment like a ventilator and it takes even longer to develop a vaccine and cure medecines).

So then dear Thiem, what's dying corona patients got to do with lower ranked players? Zilch.

There simply is no choice to be made between the two. One has nothing to do w/ the other.

That's why all Thiem has achieved is confirm that jocks are dumb.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
When it comes to being in a position to lead or being clutch, aside from Roland Garros, he comes up small. Consider:

He let that fucking creep Bajin break up his relationship with Mladenovic. Bought her a ring and everything. Backed down after she told him the tucker told her "your relationship is getting in the way of our work".

Attempted to vulture the 2024 Olympics by taking a pass this time for KITZBUHEL and then saying "I'll wait for Paris in 2024" when he knows Nadal will be gone by then.

Said ZERO about the situation with Serena.

Acted like a complete wimp when it came to asking for Djokovic to be defaulted. No matter that he won: he let the Serbian pusher come up with a contrived statement the NEXT DAY when people like Barbara Schett and Mats Wilander got it right DAY OF.

Choked HARD against Tsitsipas in the ATP Finals after winning the first set. Inexcusable after having a virtual bye in the semifinals.

Choked to an insane level in the 4th and 5th sets of the Australian Open final. Thoroughly outplaying Djokovic for 3 full sets, he clowns at the beginning of the 4th and 5th sets and loses a match he clearly SHOULD HAVE WON.

Now this.

Point is while there's no example of how to conduct yourself during something like this, here were his chances to step up and he doesn't.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Not sure I understand Thiem or those defending him. He doesn’t want to help other tennis players, but would rather those more in need. Here’s an idea, do both. Djokovic has donated millions to Serbia, Italy and Spain and is still helping the tour. Thiem you’ve made enough to do the same.
By breaking social distancing rules, going against vaccinations and finding Imaz 2.0?

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
I admire Fedalovic's good intentions, but it's clear, once again, the big tennis associations are sitting back and watch the top guys handling things. These associations have become richer than rich because of these top players. Now it's time for them to give something back in return for once. Tennis is a very rich sport, but even the top men/women players don't see enough of this in return. It's time for ATP/WTA/ITF to unite when helping lower ranked players. They can cooperate with national associations asking them who really needs financial support.
A very sound post ,IMO the correct way to take on this issue. No other is valid for me like fairness or bs. Atp has milked the big 3 more than enough , its time for them to (seriously) think and act on the future of the sport without them. Yeah I think they became bigger than the sport, and no one can deny that and once thats over it will something like the corona situation where it already hit us and we dont know how to face it, it is already too late . It caught us off guard and unprepared. The same would happen if say the big 3 call it quit tomorrow. Something gotta be done in advance to prepare for that, Im talking in the context of a pandemic and travel restrictions possibly denying us the sport as we know it for a long long time

Edit : off the top of my head , and I dont know how here, first start to financially support tennis as local sport like every other sport does at local level. Arrange some big touneys and try to sell it globally through tv. Ok, do something its what Im saying
Except that the ATP, ITF and Slams are doing something; the "player donation" part was just a small add-on; it was never intended to be the meat of the relief package.

Well, fine then he should just opt out of donating. It's not going to be enforced. He can do that without smearing many good, hard-working players.

It's irrelevant because the bulk of the relief fund (around $6 million) is coming from ATP, WTA, ITF and the slams. The small top-up from donations by top-100 players was just a little icing. See NYT article in quoted post below.

Nobody reads anything before commenting.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Except that the ATP, ITF and Slams are doing something; the "player donation" part was just a small add-on; it was never intended to be the meat of the relief package.

Nobody reads anything before commenting.
I thought I was clear :unsure: ofc money but most importantly to fund sport wise ! To start tennis already, locally and massively. So we can have competing players by the time the big 3 are gone . The lowest ranked plarers and the young are going waste. That was my point. By the time this crisis end , the level gotta be high , up and ready to bring it on and tennis could attract some people other than the big 3 .

·
23,064 Posts
@Kat_YYZ But that's so freaking small when compared to the prize they give each for winning Slams --
$3,850,000 was the prize of the champion in the US Open last year, which makes $6,000,000 peanuts to be distributed in about 4000+ players or so in total. The Wimbledon pandemic fund was $141M, surely they can use their connections in their sponsors and such to find something matching that? If around $60,000 is the annual middle income in America and distributed it to 4000 players each without consideration of ranking and such, they need $240M dollars for the whole year, $20M per month (which means around $120M for six months).

·
Registered
267 Posts
When it comes to being in a position to lead or being clutch, aside from Roland Garros, he comes up small. Consider:

He let that fucking creep Bajin break up his relationship with Mladenovic. Bought her a ring and everything. Backed down after she told him the tucker told her "your relationship is getting in the way of our work".

Attempted to vulture the 2024 Olympics by taking a pass this time for KITZBUHEL and then saying "I'll wait for Paris in 2024" when he knows Nadal will be gone by then.

Said ZERO about the situation with Serena.

Acted like a complete wimp when it came to asking for Djokovic to be defaulted. No matter that he won: he let the Serbian pusher come up with a contrived statement the NEXT DAY when people like Barbara Schett and Mats Wilander got it right DAY OF.

Choked HARD against Tsitsipas in the ATP Finals after winning the first set. Inexcusable after having a virtual bye in the semifinals.

Choked to an insane level in the 4th and 5th sets of the Australian Open final. Thoroughly outplaying Djokovic for 3 full sets, he clowns at the beginning of the 4th and 5th sets and loses a match he clearly SHOULD HAVE WON.

Now this.

Point is while there's no example of how to conduct yourself during something like this, here were his chances to step up and he doesn't.
I just love to see the triggered haters melting down...
"Serbian pusher"!? :))))))
:)
This happened ages ago, Novak fans already forgot all about it, and some Fedal fans are still carrying a grudge and suffering.
:)
this is awesome, I have to say :) I really enjoy seeing it. It's entertaining.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That argument is a fallacy, Say a person has a charity budget by some of that money going to this ridiculously unnecessary cause it won't go to where it's really necessary. Maybe if Djokovic didn't help the tour he'd spend more on other more worthwhile charitable projects.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That argument is a fallacy, Say a person has a charity budget by some of that money going to this ridiculously unnecessary cause it won't go to where it's really necessary. Maybe if Djokovic didn't help the tour he'd spend more on other more worthwhile charitable projects.
:)))))
It's funny how much Brits hate Novak :)))) it's getting pathetic at this point.
Then again so is the whole, so-called, "British Empire".

"This is the way the British Empire ends... not with a bang but a fart".

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
:)))))
It's funny how much Brits hate Novak :)))) it's getting pathetic at this point.
Then again so is the whole, so-called, "British Empire".

"This is the way the British Empire ends... not with a bang but a fart".
What a bizarre comment, I don't hate Djokovic. I was just making a point about that statement.

·
Registered
267 Posts
An update on Thiem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bleak BS from a bleak Thiem.
he could've sat this one out, could've had help (minor expense for him), but he chose to "take a stance" on a stupid, half-baked, teenager BS.

I don't blame him. Someone around him should've muzzled him before he started digging.

Oh well.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts