Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
But they can work in a supermarket in the meantime.

I keep hearing this... I guess it's true of not-so-good golfers, minor-league baseball and hockey players, up-and-coming actors who haven't made it yet and now can't work, and many others.

Which raises the question: how many grocery store jobs do you think there actually are?

Also:
The German has more than one million dollars in his account, but is working at a supermarket for 450 euros a week right now in order to help out at this time of coronavirus crisis.
This is actually not positive at all. He's picking up 450 euros a week that he doesn't need. If he didn't take that job, it could have gone to someone who desperately needs that pay check... a restaurant server or dishwasher, or a hair stylist, or a manicurist who is currently out of work and doesn't have $1 million in the bank.

·
Registered
404 Posts
He's right about not having to give money to lower-ranked players (shouldn't be his responsibility), but the rest of his comments... he's never been the brightest tool in the shed, and this is yet another example.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Agree with Thiem. Why should he earn more by beating them and then give them money. Let ATP or sponsors help out if want. There is still far worse off people with normal jobs that have no income now.

In general the prize moneys is distributed poorly though and now is when to adjust

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
French Open doubles champ just got a job at a grocery store. He doesn't want any handouts.
This is madness. He defo does not neeed that considering his earnings. Strange

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Agree with Thiem. Lower ranked players can go to supermarket or something and work for minimal wages. They are not going to die from hunger. There are so many people in the world who need much more help than tennis players.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If he is, indeed, donating money to support causes that support the hundreds of millions of human beings with significantly worse prospects than 100-150 ranked ATP players (and I have no reason to believe he’s not), he makes a very good point.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
He’s right. The top players all paid their dues. Worked up the ranks to attain the high prize money. If low ranked players aren’t good enough to work their way up, then find another profession.

Perhaps someday the Challenger Tour will have a lucrative TV deal that allows players at that level to be paid better. But till that happens, you gotta live with it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Yes, it's by unionizing which Vasek Pospisil has been trying to attempt with the players for a year now only to be prevented by Federer and Nadal.

In any case, Thiem is wrong here. Just because somebody doesn't have his serve or FH, it doesn't mean they aren't working hard enough. And if tennis as a sport ever has a chance of growing more (and drawing good athletes to it), it has to figure out a way to pay its lower ranked players better.
Tennis is no different than any other form of entertainment. Should some Indy band be paid the same amount for producing a record as an extremely popular band? Even if they work the same amount, the band the sells the most for the record company will get paid the most.

Music isn’t worse off because most bands fail to ever make any money and eventually have to quit. Same thing with tennis.

It’s supply and demand. There’s not much demand to see tennis players ranked 200+. Just like there’s not much demand to listen to bad bands. Some will make it big, some won’t.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Tennis is no different than any other form of entertainment. Should some Indy band be paid the same amount for producing a record as an extremely popular band? Even if they work the same amount, the band the sells the most for the record company will get paid the most.

Music isn’t worse off because most bands fail to ever make any money and eventually have to quit. Same thing with tennis.

It’s supply and demand. There’s not much demand to see tennis players ranked 200+. Just like there’s not much demand to listen to bad bands. Some will make it big, some won’t.
Fair point, although in music the best performers don't make the most money. They would be the classical musicians in an orchestra, very few of them are millionaires.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wow, Thiem's privilege is really showing here, eh? Shame on YOU for not making sure that you were born to parents who are both tennis coaches, having your daddy guarantee you entry to a top tennis academy and get his employer, Gunter Bresnik, to be your coach since you were eight years old! Yep, it was all hard work. :rolleyes:

In principle, it is the employer (ATP/ITF/slams) that should be coordinating a relief fund for tennis players, not other players. But it's also pretty shitty to kick people when they are down; it's not possible for tennis players of any rank to go out and earn money playing tennis right now, since all tournaments are cancelled.
Give me a break. Tennis nowadays is one of the least priviliged sports out there, a racket, shorts and some sport shoes is basically all you need alongside a concrete court which is more or less available all over the world. Your parents being involved in tennis means your initial contact was easier, but other than that?
If you are not one of the poorest of the poor on this planet (who usually have other problems than to care about ones sports career) it is all about dedication to what you want to achieve.
I was on the verge of playing at pro level 20 years ago aswell and i remember everyone disussing in how easy it was to get ATP ranked even with moderate efforts. To break into higher ranks (such as top 200) is another question but seeing how many braindead, mediocre talented tennis players with below average training effort play in the top 700 is insane. I would not EVER fund someone who plays "pro" tennis as an extended hobby giving lessons for 30-50 bucks an hour while chilling all summer at your local club being admired by some teen girls day in day out. Been there, done that, seen it all over europe and the US.
If you struggle to make it higher in the ranks while dedicating everything to it, pro-tennis is not the right fulltime job for you, thats the harsh truth. That does not mean you won't find your place in the industry in general, but probably not as a player.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
Nick Kyrgios apparently disagrees:

Bravo Nick, fucking great

Give me a break. Tennis nowadays is one of the least priviliged sports out there, a racket, shorts and some sport shoes is basically all you need alongside a concrete court which is more or less available all over the world. Your parents being involved in tennis means your initial contact was easier, but other than that?
If you are not one of the poorest of the poor on this planet (who usually have other problems than to care about ones sports career) it is all about dedication to what you want to achieve.
I was on the verge of playing at pro level 20 years ago aswell and i remember everyone disussing in how easy it was to get ATP ranked even with moderate efforts. To break into higher ranks (such as top 200) is another question but seeing how many braindead, mediocre talented tennis players with below average training effort play in the top 700 is insane. I would not EVER fund someone who plays "pro" tennis as an extended hobby giving lessons for 30-50 bucks an hour while chilling all summer at your local club being admired by some teen girls day in day out. Been there, done that, seen it all over europe and the US.
If you struggle to make it higher in the ranks while dedicating everything to it, pro-tennis is not the right fulltime job for you, thats the harsh truth. That does not mean you won't find your place in the industry in general, but probably not as a player.
If it was so easy to be top 700, why did you not do it? If it is so easy to be top 700, why did all those club pros not do it? Cause it is fucking hard as fuck to do

I really hate all the "let them eat cake" attitude I see around here. These guys die for the fucking game. Again I'm not saying it is Thiem's fault, but for someone who came from as much privilege as Thiem came from, to then turn around and spout such nonsense as he said, I can no longer be a fan of the guy, even if I love the way he plays the game. I've already explained earlier in this thread that tennis need an entire marketing and broadcasting overhaul in order to get some funds down to the lower ranked guys. Not enough to live high on the hog, but enough to be able to wake up and go play a match and not have to worry whether you can afford to go to the next tournament because the prize money is so low and you are low-middle class player.

Maybe there are some rich kids who waste their talent and don't work hard, sure, but anyone from a modest background is dying for this game every day they wake up, every minute they are alive, every breath they take, every step they take is for the game. I just find it highly disrespectful to just dismiss these guys like Dominic "Antoinette" Thiem has done

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

If it was so easy to be top 700, why did you not do it? If it is so easy to be top 700, why did all those club pros not do it? Cause it is fucking hard as fuck to do

I really hate all the "let them eat cake" attitude I see around here. These guys die for the fucking game. Again I'm not saying it is Thiem's fault, but for someone who came from as much privilege as Thiem came from, to then turn around and spout such nonsense as he said, I can no longer be a fan of the guy, even if I love the way he plays the game. I've already explained earlier in this thread that tennis need an entire marketing and broadcasting overhaul in order to get some funds down to the lower ranked guys. Not enough to live high on the hog, but enough to be able to wake up and go play a match and not have to worry whether you can afford to go to the next tournament because the prize money is so low and you are low-middle class player.

Maybe there are some rich kids who waste their talent and don't work hard, sure, but anyone from a modest background is dying for this game every day they wake up, every minute they are alive, every breath they take, every step they take is for the game. I just find it highly disrespectful to just dismiss these guys like Dominic "Antoinette" Thiem has done
World is full of people who struggle to make their ends meet. In all professions. I fail to understand why tennis should be any different so those more successful should hand out money to less so. If you aren't successful enough in your job take another one.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
World is full of people who struggle to make their ends meet. In all professions. I fail to understand why tennis should be any different so those more successful should hand out money to less so. If you aren't successful enough in your job take another one.
We've already had this discussion many times over many threads. I've already explained how I would fix these problems in all sectors not just tennis. But you feel as you do, and I feel as I do. I'm not going to debate the same stuff over and over everyday

·
Registered
750 Posts

First, I said getting ATP ranked and not top 700. Making a single ATP point is doable with a ONE future win (after the rough qualies ofc). I honestly believe earning an ATP point sooner or later would not have been the issue, but getting into money territory for sure. This is all wild speculation however. I played for 12 years 5 times a week and hated tennis in the end. The moment you are FORCED to do smth for a living it is job and not fun anymore (at least for me). I did not believe i would be able to make a good living off of tennis and thus i chose a more mainstream route and went on to study.
And yes it is fucking hard, but it is not easier in all popular sports. The difference between a pro and insanely good amateurs is rather fluid. Plenty of examples show how a very talented pro maybe miles above a 24/7 dedicated amateur player that will never come close to the pro. I completely understand Thiem why he does not want to sponsor half-pros.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
First, I said getting ATP ranked and not top 700. Making a single ATP point is doable with a ONE future win (after the rough qualies ofc). I honestly believe earning an ATP point sooner or later would not have been the issue, but getting into money territory for sure. This is all wild speculation however. I played for 12 years 5 times a week and hated tennis in the end. The moment you are FORCED to do smth for a living it is job and not fun anymore (at least for me). I did not believe i would be able to make a good living off of tennis and thus i chose a more mainstream route and went on to study.
And yes it is fucking hard, but it is not easier in all popular sports. The difference between a pro and insanely good amateurs is rather fluid. Plenty of examples show how a very talented pro maybe miles above a 24/7 dedicated amateur player that will never come close to the pro. I completely understand Thiem why he does not want to sponsor half-pros.
ATP#700 is ATP ranked

Ok sounds like we had similar experiences

Would you have quit tennis if you can make $20k/year top 1000? $50k/year top 500?

·
Registered
498 Posts
People who are calling Thiem selfish are obviously not thinking any of it through. It is a logical fallacy to equate being lower ranked to being struggling financially. Do these players make less from tennis than higher ranked players do? Probably. But none of that says anything about these people's backgrounds (many in all likelihood came from wealthy and privileged backgrounds that allowed them to play tennis), what they make off the court, what they have in the bank, etcetera. Also, he is correct when he says that many players do not view tennis as a job, but rather as a hobby and something that is done for fun. So, why would he support players who do not view tennis as a real job?

Are there players who are struggling financially and whose career may be on the line? Yes, and Thiem has no problem helping those players out. However, why would he lump every single lower ranked player together and assume that everyone is struggling financially and needs help? For all he knows, his money could be going to a millionaire and someone who is not affected much, if at all, by Covid-19. In that sense, his money can be donated in better ways.

·
Your visions will happen
47,141 Posts
People who are calling Thiem selfish are obviously not thinking any of it through. It is a logical fallacy to equate being lower ranked to being struggling financially. Do these players make less from tennis than higher ranked players do? Probably. But none of that says anything about these people's backgrounds (many in all likelihood came from wealthy and privileged backgrounds that allowed them to play tennis), what they make off the court, what they have in the bank, etcetera. Also, he is correct when he says that many players do not view tennis as a job, but rather as a hobby and something that is done for fun. So, why would he support players who do not view tennis as a real job?

Are there players who are struggling financially and whose career may be on the line? Yes, and Thiem has no problem helping those players out. However, why would he lump every single lower ranked player together and assume that everyone is struggling financially and needs help? For all he knows, his money could be going to a millionaire and someone who is not affected much, if at all, by Covid-19. In that sense, his money can be donated in better ways.
Yes, the infamous Jules Marie case

Asking for money on gofundme or whatever over the offseason, then posting smug vacation pictures in Pacific Island tournaments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Yea. I am not surprised that players have reservations about this plan. If they really want to make a difference, they need to figure out who truly needs the money rather than just lumping every single lower ranked player together under the assumption that everyone is in the same situation financially. Imagine if Thiem's money goes to someone who has wealthy parents, was pampered all their life, and is not struggling financially. Or someone who does not treat tennis as a real job but as a hobby. He has every right to question where his money is going and to whom. Clearly, he is willing to help those who need the help...he just is not willing to help those who don't.

61 - 80 of 126 Posts