Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think this might be fake news or taken out of context like Zverev’s statement the other day, but either way, it’s a really very unlike Thiem statement, shocked he said this tbh
Lukas Zahrer is a reliable source when it comes to Austrian tennis, I've never noticed him being a sensationalist before, see no reason why he would be now. He just translated what Thiem said during livestream available here: „Gebe Geld lieber Leuten, die‘s wirklich brauchen“
I don't speak German so can't tell how accurate the translation is but, again, I see no reason why Zahrer would intentionally misintrepret Thiem. He's not TennisWorldUSA or something like that.

EDIT
Oops I have to take it back, somewhat. Completely missed that the original tweet made it look like Thiem was talking ONLY about relief fund. He was not. The relief fund was just a starting point in broader discussion about prize money outside the main tour. (They referred to John Millman's 'Why have top players waited till the virus crisis to start sharing money with lower ranked players?' post on social media.)

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
i will say that i dont believe players should be made to donate to anything and that the idea of creating a relief fund for lower ranked players by forcing top players to donate into it was a pretty stupid idea to begin with. however the part about lower ranked players not fighting for their lives just wreaks of ignorance . its like he's competely forgotten what it means to struggle to get to where he is

also the part about many of them being unproffesional is hilarious since fognini and kyrgios are to huge examples of unproffesional men making it to the top

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Some important additional context:

a) The interviewer didn't just ask Thiem about the fund, but about John Millman's gripe that it shouldn't take a crisis to make top players aware of struggling lower-ranked players. Millman also explicitly called for the distribution of prize money to be rejigged to give lower-ranked players a bigger proportion of the pot. So Thiem wasn't necessarily referring to this short-term crisis fund, but also to the general redistribution of prize money as proposed by Millman. If the interviewer had been a better professional, he would have followed up the question with another one that clarified whether Thiem's views applied to the proposed redistribution or to the emergency fund or to both. But alas, he framed the question in an ambiguous way, then got an ambiguous answer, and was too stupid or lazy to seek a clarification.

b) Thiem didn't refer to the "ITF-Tour" in general, but to his own experiences on the futures circuit.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m just surprised because I get that Thiem shouldn’t be forced to donate for this charity and this should be more from the organisation itself, but this pandemic is a new situation for everyone so you would expect him to be more sympathetic towards lower ranked players who can’t earn money anymore because of this lockdown. They are suffering too.

·
|
14,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Didn't know that this story had anything to do with Serena. (And yes I do remember the press conference incident at Roland-Garros.)

All this spontaneous hatred for her is pathetic.

You people don't need much excuse, do you?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I see where he is coming from which is why I would like the sport to introduce a base pay rate, make it high enough to help players with paying for traveling and accommodation but not enough to live the high life on.

·
|
14,320 Posts
You may have good reasons for disliking Serena, but spontaneously indulging your hatred a propos of nothing is the sign of something pathological.
This is nothing compared to what Serena said to that lineswoman.
Serena has lost her right to be respected.
And she already gets treated with kid gloves by the media, for someone with her disgusting history....

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My indulgencies are none of your business. Stop channeling your visiting shrinks on me, treat your own pathologies.
Hey dude, I'm not the one that took part in this gratuitous group Serena-bashing a propos of nothing.

But whatever makes you feel less insecure in the world, I guess.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Hey dude, I'm not the one that took part in this gratuitous group Serena-bashing a propos of nothing.

But whatever makes you feel less insecure in the world, I guess.
Spare us your sanctimony and get off that high horse, it's specially ridiculous here, where daily 'gratuitous group bashing' is a staple. I haven't heard you preach after every gratuitous Nadal-bashing by your fellow Fedtards.

If you're bored stick smth somewhere and play, Im done with you today.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts