Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thiem has been looking bang average in Rio. No idea why he is playing such a small event but as he is there it was important for him to build an aura and win matches with ease on what is supposed to be his best event.

However he is looking vulnerable and disinterested. If by chance he fails to win Rio and does not defend Indian Wells its going to be a tough season for him.

Medvedev going backwards. Tsitispas looks like he is suffering with burden of expectation after the WTF jamboree win he had.

Federer all but finished at the very highest level in terms of challenging for Majors and M1000s.

Nadal and Djokovic are that far ahead if the rest, unless Thiem gets some form going in Rio and IW, this season looks another Nadal/Djokovic domination.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
It’s his first tournament after a taxing run in Australia with surface transition, and he was bothered by his knee recently. No need to panic for him yet, Tsitsipas is finding form this week, Medvedev hasn’t been consistent recently but still displayed a high level occasionally, we shouldn’t be writing them off until they don’t make any deep runs by the clay season. That said, Nadal/Djokovic are indeed probably going to stay at #1/#2 this year, but with their age I can see many Masters tournaments slipping from their control like last year.

·
Registered
747 Posts
However he is looking vulnerable and disinterested. If by chance he fails to win Rio and does not defend Indian Wells its going to be a tough season for him.
He just reached the Australian Open final where he led an 8x champion by 2 sets to one. This sounds really presumptive.

Reactions: Henrik and paca

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,601 Posts
Not in the least worried.
He is ranked no.4 and with Federer out he will effectively be in the top 3 rather comfortably.
Also I look at the race ranking - this is how he's tracking relative to everyone else so far this season.

Slasher1985 set up a forecast ranking as well. After Indian Wells, dropping all the points in that tournament, he would still be ranked no.3, ahead of Roger Federer. Only Medvedev is in touching distance in that scenario.

Nadal and Djokovic dominating won't be a new thing. Thiem is challenging them for sure but it won't be easy to uproot them, but we all know that to begin with.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
He looked decent against Mager (#114). While Mager bossed the rallies I would say Thiem had bigger serve than Mager. FH and BH goes for Mager but Thiem served bigger than him.

We all want good players to show up and stuff but lets face it Thiem isnt much of a player.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thiem has always been inconsistent. The fact he’s got through in Rio despite playing poorly is progress in my opinion.

In years gone by he would have ball bashed and made loads of errors and gone out in his first match.

That said, picking up the title here would be a nice ranking points boost ahead of his defence of Indian Wells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
695 Posts
A mediocre showing at an odd 500 tournament means nothing

Thiem has proven in the past few years that he can peak for slams (given that he's healthy)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Is OP's name Pantera, as the name of an awesome band, or Pant-era, implicating a bad era of tennis ?
Sry, had to, no offense.

I have been surprised how Thiem, a 2nd best player on clay in past 3 years, had performed in Rio. Still, clay season isn't there yet, maybe he is not giving this a lot of attention and focus.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts