Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thiem: "Nadal's top spin is very hard to deal with. I have a lot to improve"

"I will need 2 or 3 years to get to the level of the best players" said humble Dominic Thiem in his press conference in Paris, after losing to Rafael Nadal in straight sets in the second round of the French Open.

"I have the chance to learn a lot playing against these players. It's very good practice for me. I have a lot to improve, not just my position in the court, which against these players should be more advanced, more into the baseline rather then far at the back. One thing is to say it, one thing is to do it. I think only Novak Djokovic manages to play like that against Rafael Nadal" said Thiem.

Why is it so hard to play against Rafael Nadal on clay? Dominic now can speak for himself: "He doesn't give you anything. He doesn't give away a single point. Even if you are up 30-00 or 30-15 he would still fight on every ball thinking he can win the game. His top spin is very hard to deal with. For example, I like a lot to play the backhand down the line, but today it was almost impossible for me, because the top spin of the ball was to strong. He played very well, very few mistakes".

from his facebook page

2:6, 2:6, 3:6 against Rafael Nadal. I didn't play a bad match. But many details were not good enough to make it a test for him. Most of them were real rookie-errors. Easy unforced errors. They happen because you want to play better on clay against Rafael Nadal than you want to play against anybody else. And because he absolutely doesn't help you. No errors, no presents. It was a mega experience to stand on the biggest clay court in the world together with the best claycourt player in the world. I unconditionally want to make that experience that again. And the next time I want to come one step closer. This is a big goal and worth working for it as hard as I can. Thanks for your incredible support!

Nadal applauded Thiem as he left the court and was full of praise for his 20-year-old opponent. "He was able to hit the ball very strong from the backhand and forehand," Nadal said. "He has completely everything to become a champion."

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Dominic-Thiem-Rafael-Nadals-ball-is-very-hard-to-control-articolo18241.html

https://www.facebook.com/1.Dominic.Thiem/posts/850937704921235

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Re: Thiem: "Nadal's top spin is very hard to deal with. I have a lot to improve"

Aww. Bless him.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Re: Thiem: "Nadal's top spin is very hard to deal with. I have a lot to improve"

His top spin is very hard to deal with. For example, I like a lot to play the backhand down the line, but today it was almost impossible for me, because the top spin of the ball was to strong. He played very well, very few mistakes".
The major issue in the match up.

Playing a One hander DTL against Nadal's loopy top spins is unbelievably hard. No wonder Nadal is so successful using such a simple pattern of play from a tactical standpoint against top one handers.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Humble Nadal and Humble Thiem, can't get better than that, no ??

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

He does have a lot to learn. And I think he will look good with Eugene as the next power couple.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

Great attitude and frame of mind, as usual. He's going places :yeah:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Humble Nadal and Humble Thiem, can't get better than that, no ??
On Thiem I agree. Rafa is faking it, and even commentators have started calling him out on it. Can't wait till he calls Sock the favorite in their match ... if they play. lol

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

On Thiem I agree. Rafa is faking it, and even commentators have started calling him out on it. Can't wait till he calls Sock the favorite in their match ... if they play. lol
Quotes or you are a disgusting liar and a coward.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Quotes or you are a disgusting liar and a coward.
It was that Australian guy during commentary in Rome or Madrid. It has actually happened a bunch of times. Sorry, there was no "press release" on it. It was live commentary. I am not a liar. Been accused of that but every single time proven correct. It's not like Rafa has not called total underdogs "favorite" against him in matches. It is disingenuous, and you know it

·
Registered
5,482 Posts

I like his attitude. He knows what he is doing, he'll get there, no doubt about that.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

It was that Australian guy during commentary in Rome or Madrid. It has actually happened a bunch of times. Sorry, there was no "press release" on it. It was live commentary. I am not a liar. Been accused of that but every single time proven correct. It's not like Rafa has not called total underdogs "favorite" against him in matches. It is disingenuous, and you know it
Go ahead, show us the video clip of it.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Go ahead, show us the video clip of it.
Listen. Believe what you want to believe. How do you even record ESPN3? I have no reason to make that up. I already hate Nadal. Why would I make up something about it when I heard it from a commentator. And why is it this important to you anyway? haha. So if I show the video, you will denounce Rafa and go to Tibet for soul cleansing or what? Because I would try very hard to do that if it mattered that much.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

Listen. Believe what you want to believe. How do you even record ESPN3? I have no reason to make that up. I already hate Nadal. Why would I make up something about it when I heard it from a commentator. And why is it this important to you anyway? haha. So if I show the video, you will denounce Rafa and go to Tibet for soul cleansing or what? Because I would try very hard to do that if it mattered that much.
This is what lying cowards do. First they lie and, when called out, they start mumbling and backtracking like cowards.

You know, all the lies and hate you spew are not going to take those beatings of your idols back. You are just making yourself look bad, not Rafa.

·
Banned
5,740 Posts

You're a funny guy..."I hate Nadal, why would I make up something bad about him?" :lol:
Yeah, Sheepie is not very bright, he gets caught up in his lies and bullshit :lol:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

This is what lying cowards do. First they lie and, when called out, they start mumbling and backtracking like cowards.

You know, all the lies and hate you spew are not going to take those beatings of your idols back. You are just making yourself look bad, not Rafa.
Again, I don't even think Rafa's fakeness is his biggest issue. There are so many reasons to hate this guy. I told you what I heard on ESPN3 during one of those tournaments. Sorry. I don't record videos. And if I did, I would not put them on YouTube. They get flagged. You can believe whatever. Rafa has done this whole fake "he is the favorite" routine many times.

I doubt Rafa is going to look bad regardless of what anyone says on a site like MTF. You people need to put down the cool-aid, get some fresh air, and stop acting like a god damn cult member.

·
Registered
21,308 Posts

Nadal grinding down talented youngsters/1hbh's, nothing new. I hope Thiem keeps improving.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

Nadal grinding down talented youngsters/1hbh's, nothing new. I hope Thiem keeps improving.
He has a bright future. Then again, Him and Dimitrov have been routined by Rafa in the past couple of weeks. Not too optimistic about the future generation.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts