Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think he is overrated. There just strong decline great active but past-era-players it why he achieved 2 GS finals I think.

I think real place for Thiem NOW is 5 or 6. Not 4 or 3...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don’t even know how many slam finals Dominic reached but you claim to know if someone is under or over rated. Back to school!
I like Thiem. Nothing against him really. Like Coric is also overrated. He is maximum 19 not 11) It's fact.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think he is overrated. There just strong decline great active but past-era-players it why he achieved 2 GS finals I think.

I think real place for Thiem NOW is 5 or 6. Not 4 or 3...
He Is #4 beacuse he has amassed more ATP points than #5 and #6, what do you mean by saying "he should be #5 or #6"? It doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
He Is #4 beacuse he has amassed more ATP points than #5 and #6, what do you mean by saying "he should be #5 or #6"? It doesn't make any sense.
Dont bother , its just Malvin at it ...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mean in normal situation he is max #5-6. Big 3 is in fast decline now and Tsitsi and Zverev just better.

It why I said he is 5 not 3 or 4!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I mean in normal situation he is max #5-6. Big 3 is in fast decline now and Tsitsi and Zverev just better.

It why I said he is 5 not 3 or 4!
Zverev is definitely not better than Thiem. Tsitsipas and Thiem are close but I’d take Thiem due to his better results on the big stages. Thiem beat all the big 3 in a 2 month span from WTF to AO. 3 slam finals also shows he belongs in the top 4-5 easily.

·
11,027 Posts
Malvin just stop. Need to calm down.

Thiem is just fine. He has gone against peaking Nadal at RG and played Djokovic at AO. These sure sound like easy opponents....

If he was playing aginast Zverev , Berretini, or anyone else not named Nadal or Djokovic , I think it would be fair that we could call him overrated.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Since the start of 2018 season he has played in 3 grand slam finals, won 8 titles on tour which includes one masters and a couple of 500s.

He is doing more than o.k. It's just a frustrating period of tennis where the top 3 have so much slam IQ given they've won nearly 60 between them now they simply have that knowledge to still get over the line in slams.

It's getting closer though with last two finals both going to five sets.

Seems at the moment people are just judging players through prism of the big 3 so if you don't look capable of winning 10 slams you're nowhere.

Dom won 16 titles in his career (I know he plays lots) so it's already been a career better than vast majority of pros. Once that elusive slam comes it will look very good indeed.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since the start of 2018 season he has played in 3 grand slam finals, won 8 titles on tour which includes one masters and a couple of 500s.

He is doing more than o.k. It's just a frustrating period of tennis where the top 3 have so much slam IQ given they've won nearly 60 between them now they simply have that knowledge to still get over the line in slams.

It's getting closer though with last two finals both going to five sets.

Seems at the moment people are just judging players through prism of the big 3 so if you don't look capable of winning 10 slams you're nowhere.

Dom won 16 titles in his career (I know he plays lots) so it's already been a career better than vast majority of pros. Once that elusive slam comes it will look very good indeed.
16? And??? Mahut won 4!!! (25%) and was only #38)

Roberta Vinci was max only 19 when she had 9 titles!!! (60%).

·
|
14,942 Posts
Based on this year's AO he's the same level as Djokovic.
Actually the Thiem-Rafa match was a higher level of tennis than the Thiem-Djokovic match.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
16? And??? Mahut won 4!!! (25%) and was only #38)

Roberta Vinci was max only 19 when she had 9 titles!!! (60%).
16 titles is already equal to or greater than some pretty fantastic players.

Marat Safin 15
Stan Wawrinka 16
Juan Carlos Ferrero 16
Pat Rafter 11
David Nalbandian 11
Tomas Berdych 13

And injuries permitting, Thiem will obviously win many more titles.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
The answer is that, Thiem is unlucky, as is every player playing you know who over the last 15 years. As Thiem said, you have to beat 2 of the big guns to win a major. That is tough. All Thiem needs is a major win. 3 finals is no joke. He needs to get his ranking high enough to avoid having to play 2 of the big 3 in a major. Can he get to number 2? Is he good enough to get that high. At this stage, No. Maybe in a year. He has the weapons. Big forehand, good serve, moves well and decent at the net. He just needs to improve that return a little bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts