Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thiem has beaten Nadal on clay every year since 2016, while Nole hasn't beaten Nadal since 2016. He also performed better than Nole in the final last year, playing two competitive sets. I fell Thiem will be the one to challenge Nadal on clay next couple of years .

Sure, beating THIS Nadal is a pretty herculean task, but it seems only Thiem can challenge him.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Thiem against Nadal at the French Open: 6-3,6-4,6-0,6-4,6-3,6-2,6-3,5-7,6-1,6-1

1 set won.

2 breadsticks + 1 bagel and the rest under 6-4 bar one.

Competitive at the minimal level I'd say.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
umm.. pretty sure not a single mere mortal on earth would've won a set against rafa today. he was at fucking 3 UE after 2 sets ffs. it was just a brutal display of sheer and utter clay dominance, and one could've had nothing but praise for such effort.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
after Rafa retires, few people remember Thiem's competitiveness against Nadal. while Soderling's win will be remembered with honor.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Nadal has no rival at the French. Thiem played some of the greatest clay tennis I have ever seen in that final, and it was still not good enough. A set is all he got.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I think Novak played better today compare to Thiem in RG 19, even in RG 18.
Vs Thiem you just need to hit a lot of Top spins to his BH,
Vs Novak you have to raise your level and play aggressive tennis.

·
24,088 Posts
Nadal has no rival at the French. Thiem played some of the greatest clay tennis I have ever seen in that final, and it was still not good enough. A set is all he got.
It was good, but it wasn't THAT good...the 3rd Set also was a big drop from him mentally.

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
He was already

·
24,088 Posts
Thiem ballbashed his way to a set in 2019. That is all anyone can do, get a set. Even Djoker can't do that these days.
I still feel Djokovic's depth has lost a lot these past months. Usually he's a good depth, but lately he's seems very inconsistent to me. Like a puffier version of himself hence you see him struggle against PCB and RBA. As long as you have certain patience and find your shots, I feel like you're 40% likely to make a Djokovic match tight lately.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Thiem is very overrated. Djokovic put up far more resistance against a better Nadal on clay from 2011-2014. Thiem is playing against a very old Nadal and had it much easier than peak Djokovic or peak Federer. Thiem wishes he could take Nadal to 5 sets at RG like Djokovic did in 2013 or have a close 4-set match against him like Federer did in 2006.

The clay field these days is so weak given that Djokovic's level has significantly dropped off on clay. With how weak the opposition on clay is, Nadal can probably win 5 more Roland Garros titles.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thiem is very overrated. Djokovic put up far more resistance against a better Nadal on clay from 2011-2014. Thiem is playing against a very old Nadal and had it much easier than peak Djokovic or peak Federer. Thiem wishes he could take Nadal to 5 sets at RG like Djokovic did in 2013 or have a close 4-set match against him like Federer did in 2006.

The clay field these days is so weak given that Djokovic's level has significantly dropped off on clay. With how weak the opposition on clay is, Nadal can probably win 5 more Roland Garros titles.
Last year and this year he was screwed by the schedule. Thiem is getting very close. He needs a good draw going to the final fresh.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts