1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
11,790 Posts
@-Dominator- Is banned from posting in this thread.

Just kidding.

Just follow the protocol for now and continue on according to your own country's rules and regulations when US Open is over.

Reactions: -Dominator-

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Thiem's apparent indifference to covid seems weird when compared to his preaching about the oceans and other green agendas.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I don't know if there's requirement to use a mask in Austria right now. We don't have one in Finland. So what's most likely happened is that he's just forgotten to use it and hasn't noticed it himself soon enough + hasn't carried one with him to be able to correct his mistake soon enough.

That happened to me as well once in a grocery store while I was in Lisbon recently (they have a requirement for everyone to use mask in practically all stores, shopping malls, public transportation etc. in Portugal). I didn't notice the whole thing until I was at the counter and was told to leave the place immediately, and I had been in the country for 3 weeks by then so you would think I'd remembered it by then - but sometimes you're just too deep in your own thoughts, and in my defense I was at least wearing disposable gloves, even though that wasn't even a requirement.

I just can't see Dominic as someone who would break these rules intentionally.

·
Registered
19,650 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
@-Dominator- Is banned from posting in this thread.

Just kidding.

Just follow the protocol for now and continue on according to your own country's rules and regulations when US Open is over.

Reactions: Kowchi and guitarra

·
MONSOON season.
82,306 Posts
I don't know if there's requirement to use a mask in Austria right now. We don't have one in Finland. So what's most likely happened is that he's just forgotten to use it and hasn't noticed it himself soon enough + hasn't carried one with him to be able to correct his mistake soon enough.

That happened to me as well once in a grocery store while I was in Lisbon recently (they have a requirement for everyone to use mask in practically all stores, shopping malls, public transportation etc. in Portugal). I didn't notice the whole thing until I was at the counter and was told to leave the place immediately, and I had been in the country for 3 weeks by then so you would think I'd remembered it by then - but sometimes you're just too deep in your own thoughts, and in my defense I was at least wearing disposable gloves, even though that wasn't even a requirement.

How can there be an excuse when it has been the topic of conversation for weeks, when you see everyone around you wearing masks, when you participated in several lead-up events, when you know your behavior is under a magnifying glass, when the atmosphere of the tournament is noticeably different because of COVID? There's no reason to be forgiving here.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Austrians are characteristically Slavic as concerns their superstitions
you don't say. plz tell me more of what austrians are characteristically, i really need to update my superstitions.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
This being Theim I expect the bill for that fine to be transferred to the guilty team member in the form of a salary cut or deduction. "Tzis is not my fault — vhy do I have to pay?"

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How can there be an excuse when it has been the topic of conversation for weeks, when you see everyone around you wearing masks, when you participated in several lead-up events, when you know your behavior is under a magnifying glass, when the atmosphere of the tournament is noticeably different because of COVID? There's no reason to be forgiving here.
Ok, I'll try and be more precise here in what I meant with the above:

As you can see they did fine him for the violation of the rules, so an explanation like "Pls excuse me I just forgot it in my room as I'm not used to wearing one in my home country where I've been practicing before I came here." or something similar won't justify you violating these new rules, which I think is a perfectly right approach by USTA.

So I was not trying to say they didn't do the right thing in fining him. They simply have to be strict in this respect in order to have everyone following the rules, no matter what reason there may be behind the violation.

I was only trying to explain that while I consider myself a bit too pedantic and diligent in all matters related to avoiding getting Covid-19 these days (I was already infected once early last spring when no-one over here knew to be that careful yet, and even that wasn't directly due to anything I did myself, I just had a friend who was spreading the virus around without knowing it himself - and even though still pretty young and perfectly healthy, a former athlete who still exercises a lot, I got a pretty nasty version of the disease -, I'm taking all precautions I can now that we're all much more well aware of things as I don't want to go through the disease again, let alone spread it around to others even though I'm no longer infected but naturally not tested for it all the time), I still made that sort of a mistake myself as well.

So, what I was trying to say is that the pro tennis players, just like the rest of us, are only humans and they make mistakes just like the rest of us do, even if they try their best to avoid making them. You simply can forget things like this without being careless at all.

I remember Andy also telling in one interview that he at least once left the court without his mask on, having just forgotten about it altogether, but luckily someone noticed it right away and just told him to put the mask on. He didn't know how long it would have taken for him to notice the lack of it himself.

And I'm 100% sure that these three cases that we are aware of so far have not been the only ones. As long as humans are involved they do make mistakes, even if they'd prefer no to (and no, machines, computers etc. are not error-free either). Just a fact I've learned in life.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Ok, I'll try and be more precise here in what I meant with the above:

As you can see they did fine him for the violation of the rules, so an explanation like "Pls excuse me I just forgot it in my room as I'm not used to wearing one in my home country where I've been practicing before I came here." or something similar won't justify you violating these new rules, which I think is a perfectly right approach by USTA.

So I was not trying to say they didn't do the right thing in fining him. They simply have to be strict in this respect in order to have everyone following the rules, no matter what reason there may be behind the violation.

I was only trying to explain that while I consider myself a bit too pedantic and diligent in all matters related to avoiding getting Covid-19 these days (I was already infected once early last spring when no-one over here knew to be that careful yet, and even that wasn't directly due to anything I did myself, I just had a friend who was spreading the virus around without knowing it himself - and even though still pretty young and perfectly healthy, a former athlete who still exercises a lot, I got a pretty nasty version of the disease -, I'm taking all precautions I can now that we're all much more well aware of things as I don't want to go through the disease again, let alone spread it around to others even though I'm no longer infected but naturally not tested for it all the time), I still made that sort of a mistake myself as well.

So, what I was trying to say is that the pro tennis players, just like the rest of us, are only humans and they make mistakes just like the rest of us do, even if they try their best to avoid making them. You simply can forget things like this without being careless at all.

I remember Andy also telling in one interview that he at least once left the court without his mask on, having just forgotten about it altogether, but luckily someone noticed it right away and just told him to put the mask on. He didn't know how long it would have taken for him to notice the lack of it himself.

And I'm 100% sure that these three cases that we are aware of so far have not been the only ones. As long as humans are involved they do make mistakes, even if they'd prefer no to (and no, machines, computers etc. are not error-free either). Just a fact I've learned in life.
I'm amazed that someone who got a nasty bout of the virus themselves could forget to put on a mask in a supermarket. There is really no excuse for that and your claim, "but sometimes you're just too deep in your own thought" doesn't cut it. What if you infected people in that supermarket before you were rightly thrown out? Maybe you should be less selfish and think about others a bit more.

That also goes for the idiots on Thiem and Mannarino's team who were fined for their violations. All we need is an outbreak here and apart from then danger of the virus, it could result in the whole tournament being cancelled. If players want tennis this year, they should be doing everything they can to make this tournament a success, follow the rules and keep the virus out. Thiem doesn't stike me as the sharpest tool in the box but even he should understand that.

·
Banned
5,793 Posts
This being Theim I expect the bill for that fine to be transferred to the guilty team member in the form of a salary cut or deduction. "Tzis is not my fault — vhy do I have to pay?"
As it should be. Do you pay other ppl's fines? Or are you by chance on the receiving end?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Thiem again. He really don´t care about Covid19. He was also at the airport without mask with austrian Novak

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

On the other hand, people who forget to put on a mask but do so as soon as they are reminded of the rules are usually not fined.

It's those who act in bad faith, refuse to wear a mask or take it off as soon as they think nobody checks who get punished.

So I think the violation must have been more severe than just an oversight.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm amazed that someone who got a nasty bout of the virus themselves could forget to put on a mask in a supermarket. There is really no excuse for that and your claim, "but sometimes you're just too deep in your own thought" doesn't cut it. What if you infected people in that supermarket before you were rightly thrown out? Maybe you should be less selfish and think about others a bit more.
Sure, you must be perfectly right and have never ever made any sort of mistakes in your life yourself, I expect? That to me is far more amazing than me or some of the tennis players forgetting to put their masks on once.

And what about those countries where people don't use masks at all or only very few use them? Like Finland where we have a very low rate of infections compared to almost all other countries in Europe. Masks will unfortunately not save us from this disease, other effective measures are needed as well.

I was at the store for less than 5 minutes as I went in a hurry to buy one item only, wasn't talking to anyone (let alone coughing or sneezing) and once noticed the fact that I didn't have a mask on at the counter pulled a handful of large paper towels from my bag (which I nowadays carry around with me all the time as paper is a useful material while dealing with the virus) and put them in from of my mouth right away and got out as soon as I could. So the likelihood of me, not having any infection back then and or now (I went to get tested when I got back to Finland just to make sure that I didn't bring the virus with me), infecting someone during that visit would be something like 0,1%.

It might be a bit naive to look at this as something as black & white as simply selfish v. unselfish people/tennis players.

AND: Never mind all those people who gather around right next to each other in parks or on beaches in sunny weather, don't use hand disinfectants or wash their hands frequently, sometimes have to cough while in an inside facilities with other people around, talk and laugh with a large group of people in restaurants and bars while eating etc. Their actions are not a question of simply forgetting about something, but much more intentional instead. Still I wouldn't categorise all of them as simply being selfish. All sorts of different humane factors involved in those situations as well.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
On the other hand, people who forget to put on a mask but do so as soon as they are reminded of the rules are usually not fined.
You're perfectly right in saying that, I totally agree on that. But as it happens, sometimes people may just not happen to have a (clean) mask with them, so they can't put it on even once reminded on it. And as I see it it would be very hard for USTA to draw the line somewhere if someone's just acted fully bona fide but forgot his/her mask and doesn't have one to put on right away. How would they know if that was just an explanation someone came up with trying to avoid getting fined?

The above is why I consider it to be a good thing that they've most likely adopted a pretty strict policy in this regard and are apparently giving fines to even those who come up with some sort of reasonable, but not fully acceptable even if just a mistake, explanation on why they don't have their mask on for a certain period of time (which I assume is more than just a few seconds or minutes, as that sort of behavior is likely to take place all the time while people take put their masks on and take them off again every once in a while).

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Adding to what I've said in my posts above, so that it's clear to everyone reading this thread, I do naturally not have any more detailed information than what has been publicly available to us all on what exactly has happened in these situations in which Domi and Mannarino have been fined.

Like many have pointed out already it may just as well have been someone in their team and not the two players at all who've violated the rules (in good faith, by mistake or even just carelessly). We do not know that, or at least I don't know that. So judging the players themselves here in a harsh manner before knowing more would appear a bit hasty to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts