Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Good for him. He's the 11th player to reach a career high of #3 since Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray claimed the top 2 for themselves in 2005, after Nalbandian, Ljubičić, Davydenko, Ferrer, Wawrinka, Raonic, Zverev, Dimitrov, Čilić, and del Potro. Hewitt was the last other player to reach the top 2.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Deserved of course, no doubt he's been Top3 in the last 52 weeks or so

2 Slam finals + IW > 1 Slam final + Miami
Miami? Or Madrid? I am not aware of Thiem's special Miami exploits.

He made it to Madrid final and ATP Finals final last year.

Anyways, he joins the likes of Wawrinka, del Potro, Cilic, Ferrer, Dimitrov, Zverev, Raonic, who made it No.3, but could not progress further. Let's see if can break into the Top 2, as the first player since Lleyton Hewitt (July, 2005) outside of Big 4 to be a Top 2 ranked player.

On Edit: FelipeL seems to be comparing Dominator with Olderer. Of course, the former is better if you add up all the points from his results in the past 52 weeks; that's why he is No.3 in the live rankings right now, and will be officially No.3 on ATP rankings early next week.

Reactions: Han Solo

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Absolutely deserved despite all those random losses against mediocre journeymen. In the past 52 weeks he has: 2 slam finals, 1 masters title, a WTF final, 3 500 titles, more than 7000 ranking points, a 7-3 record against the top 3, and a 12-6 record against the top 10. I don't have the exact numbers in my head anymore, but the likes of Zverev or Dimitrov didn't have anywhere near as many points when they became #3 iirc

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
This is good news for Thiem, but as I said earlier in a different thread, he needs to get to two or one. The higher you are, the more likely you are to get decent draws. You also get treated better by organisers.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I still remember his breakthrough match against Andy Murray in some hardcourt I don't remember. He was super agressive back then, even more than now, but of course, also way more error prone. He's a Top 3 now, and soon to be a slam winner I hope.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I still remember his breakthrough match against Andy Murray in some hardcourt I don't remember. He was super agressive back then, even more than now, but of course, also way more error prone. He's a Top 3 now, and soon to be a slam winner I hope.
Rotterdam I think. I’ve been a fan since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Noone hit top 2 out of Big 3 + Murray since 2005.

Fucking insane. There are some kids being born, just starting to realize the world around them and noticed this strange sport called tennis. As the true future MTFers and glory hunters they only paid attention to couple of the best. They entered an elementary school, finished it, entered a middle school, finished it, entered a high school, finished it and starting looking at unis. And all that time they learned only 4 names. Federer. Nadal. Djokovic. And only the most dedicated among them will remember Murray too.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Happy for thiem, and with roger out till grass season he will stay top 3 for a while unless he gets injured, losses drastically form or medvedev or tsitsipas catches fire. He has a fighting chance for number 1, most likely he wont make it, but if he wins a few masters, defends his points in the french and improves massively in wimbledon- us open period he might be a slamless no.1.

Reactions: guitarra

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
So the achivement depended on Federer's injury? VULTURED :p

Anyways, he joins the likes of Wawrinka, del Potro, Cilic, Ferrer, Dimitrov, Zverev, Raonic, who made it No.3, but could not progress further. Let's see if can break into the Top 2, as the first player since Lleyton Hewitt (July, 2005) outside of Big 4 to be a Top 2 ranked player.
He will do it in the timespan between Big 3's decline and before Next Gen rise.

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
Happy for thiem, and with roger out till grass season he will stay top 3 for a while unless he gets injured, losses drastically form or medvedev or tsitsipas catches fire. He has a fighting chance for number 1, most likely he wont make it, but if he wins a few masters, defends his points in the french and improves massively in wimbledon- us open period he might be a slamless no.1.
I'd rather take the opposite version: win a slam a miss the no1 rank. :p
But of course both coming together would be perfect. Let's wait and see what future brings.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
Congrats neighbour!

·
23,797 Posts
Absolutely deserved despite all those random losses against mediocre journeymen. In the past 52 weeks he has: 2 slam finals, 1 masters title, a WTF final, 3 500 titles, more than 7000 ranking points, a 7-3 record against the top 3, and a 12-6 record against the top 10. I don't have the exact numbers in my head anymore, but the likes of Zverev or Dimitrov didn't have anywhere near as many points when they became #3 iirc
What's actually more surreal is that Stan in his career I don't think has reached 7000 points in any week even as #3, despite how consistent he was in Slams having SFs in the same time and of course having 1 Slam title in his breakdown for most of 2014-2017.

ATP 500s have the best risk-reward ratio. We saw that with Del Po when he won 4 at a time. Domi could've won Rio and have been 7255 I think. Stan missed big time when he's missing titles not only in the Masters, but also 500s too (5 already won by Domi vs. 3 of Stan, 3 of them at the same time for Domi vs. 2 for Stan in 2015 w/ Rotterdam and Tokyo). Makes me wonder how big Domi would break the ceiling the moment he does win a Slam title.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts