Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
23,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Looks like Muster wasn't a good fit for Thiem. The way Thiem explained it, it sounded like Muster exerted unnecessary pressure on him, which clearly isn't what he needed or wanted.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I did think he looked sketchy about Muster questions in his press conference after the second round win.

Reactions: Meddy Bär

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i was actually quite shocked when i read about this coaching agreement - as the saying goes, too many cooks spoil the porridge, and Massu has proven himself to be an excellent cook anyway
then i got a bad feeling seeing Muster constantly talking to Massu in the box who looked a bit annoyed..

also, i can see Muster helping someone struggling on clay, but for Thiem i don't think he can do that much technicaly. Maybe on the mental aspect he could help Domi, bc Muster was quite something, saving tons of MP and making great comebacks

·
Registered
59,026 Posts
I'm sure he won't while Fed is still playing, but I think Ljubicic would be a very good coach for Thiem.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
i was actually quite shocked when i read about this coaching agreement - as the saying goes, too many cooks spoil the porridge, and Massu has proven himself to be an excellent cook anyway
then i got a bad feeling seeing Muster constantly talking to Massu in the box who looked a bit annoyed..

also, i can see Muster helping someone struggling on clay, but for Thiem i don't think he can do that much technicaly. Maybe on the mental aspect he could help Domi, bc Muster was quite something, saving tons of MP and making great comebacks
Exactly. I was surprised too. I think this was mostly a "sentimental" partnership, that Thiem didn't really need/want. They work really well with Massu and fixing what's not broken is generally a very poor idea.
I am really glad this time around Dominic made the right decision quickly. No need for another Bresnik saga.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Moo Man is not cut out to be a second string back up subservient coach. Muster is an Alpha Male of the highest order. Not a surprise this union blew up quickly.

·
Registered
678 Posts
No self-criticism from Muster whatsoever .. I think Muster just doesn't have the personality to be a good coach. In his first interviews after Massu joined Thiem's team, he talked about how grateful he was to be able to work with him, praised his work ethic, etc. Muster on the other hand was like "I have gotten MANY coaching offers but Dominic is the only player I am willing to help". Also he couldn't stop himself from repeatedly talking about the many technical weaknesses in Thiem's game, only to point out that he obviously was in the process of fixing all that. "BUT he is still FAR from the top!". Something I also noticed was that he constantly referred to Thiem as "boy". This reminded me of Bresnik and just points to a lack of respect imo. I'm glad Thiem cut him off so quickly.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
No self-criticism from Muster whatsoever .. I think Muster just doesn't have the personality to be a good coach. In his first interviews after Massu joined Thiem's team, he talked about how grateful he was to be able to work with him, praised his work ethic, etc. Muster on the other hand was like "I have gotten MANY coaching offers but Dominic is the only player I am willing to help". Also he couldn't stop himself from repeatedly talking about the many technical weaknesses in Thiem's game, only to point out that he obviously was in the process of fixing all that. "BUT he is still FAR from the top!". Something I also noticed was that he constantly referred to Thiem as "boy". This reminded me of Bresnik and just points to a lack of respect imo. I'm glad Thiem cut him off so quickly.
I haven't heard/read any of this, but if true - good riddance. Been there. Also it's quite telling when one side is so quick to air the dirty laundry outside, while the other does none of that.
Of course, we don't know what's really happening inside the house, however, seeing a fully engaged and 100% supportive Massu in the box after years of Bresnik apathetic sulkbotting was incredibly refreshing.

·
justice for all
15,126 Posts
I just hope all this unnecessary drama with Muster won’t affect Domi’s level of play and his concentration in his match vs Monfils.
Massu is a really good coach. Since Dominic dumped Bresnik and hired Nicolas his game and results on hard courts have improved massively.
I always say „the best is the enemy of the good” so for the time being let’s just leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Muster is too big of an egocentric personality, he unsurprisingly sounds as if he was the one hiring Thiem for the supreme priviledge of receiving His Immeasurable Wisdom. Tennis issues aside (Thiem doesn't need to be taught how to play on clay, he just need Nadal to retire), it was clearly an impossible couple on personality grounds.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Good that Thiem fired that troll.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
i was actually a huge Muster fan when i was younger, but truth be told he is a git

Reactions: Saraya!

·
Registered
958 Posts
^Interesting, guess that confirms what most people were saying here about Muster getting too involved. And Muster's cryptic words might just mean that he had a bit of an argument/disagreement with Thiem's father at some point.

In any case, pretty funny that Thiem suddenly started playing at a much higher level immediately after ditching Muster. The feeling of baggage no longer weighing him down perhaps? It would be even funnier if he won the final

1 - 20 of 24 Posts