Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
49,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A MEDAL IS MY DREAM!

Finally I’m on vacation! My first Grand Slam title in New York, reaching the finals in Melbourne and at the Masters – a very successful season has come to an end. Now I am going to relax for ten days, going abroad is not possible because of the pandemic, that’s why I will spend my days at home in Austria.

No practice sessions, no appointments, and I will only turn on my cell phone for a short while – I also want to recharge the battery completely as I have big goals for 2021, even though nobody knows exactly, when we will be allowed to get started in Australia.

However, some things have been settled:

I am going to participate at the Olympic Summer Games in Tokyo starting on July 23! I have been thinking about it for a longer period of time, and next year it eventually fits into my tournament schedule. And I am looking forward to it to compete for a medal. My coach Nicolas Massu won two gold medals in Athens in 2004, he told me about the incredibly wonderful emotions. I want to feel these kind of emotions myself. For an athlete the atmosphere at the Olympics must be unique, I want to soak it all up.

In addition I am going to participate at the Rod Laver Cup for the third time. From September 24 – 26 I will be part of the “Team Europe“ playing the “Team World“ in Boston. I totally like this format of tennis. On the one hand everybody is completely serious about it, everybody wants to win this trophy – on the other hand we have so much fun, the best tennis players present themselves as friends and cheer for each other. I managed to win the trophy twice with “Team Europe“, I want to win the hat-trick in 2021! The fans can also look forward to an attractive challenge, all I hope for is that we will have spectators back at the venues by September, live!

Yours, Dominic

Also looks like he will be playing Laver Cup in 21 as well

Good to see Coach Massu was able to convince him that Olympics are just as important as slams. I know @Tennis cognoscenti king likes this news

I knew once Thiem won a slam and felt the expectations of greatness, he cannot just skip the Olympics

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
Thank God he got rid of Bresnik since Thiem seems like he can be more himself by picking up the stuff he wants to play and he seriously catches fire with. Seemed like fading away the last stages of their cooperation (no wonder if you play 250s around the world).

For Massú the Olympics were his biggest achievement by very far, so he knows what an awesome feeling it is to win gold for your country.

·
Registered
554 Posts
And he might actually win it.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
If Thiem wins he'll join the likes of Marc Rosset, Miroslav Mecir and his own coach Nicolas Massu as insignificant players to devalue this event which bears zero relevance in the sport of tennis.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
An event so irrelevant, Djokovic cried like a baby when he lost it. Solid clowning, dude.
He cried because of his injury which caused him a great deal of pain. The same injury which resulted in him losing at Wimbledon to Querrey just before.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
He cried because of his injury which caused him a great deal of pain. The same injury which resulted in him losing at Wimbledon to Querrey just before.
No, he cried because the Olympics are very significant to him as he has stated multiple times. You should learn more about your idol's values.

"Getting eliminated was one of the most heart-breaking moments of my career...huge expectations for the Olympics...the Olympics are the biggest manifestation in sports...representing my country is a huge honor and privilege"

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
No, he cried because the Olympics are very significant to him as he has stated multiple times. You should learn more about your idol's values.

"Getting eliminated was one of the most heart-breaking moments of my career...the Olympics are the biggest manifestation in sports...representing my country is a huge honor and privilege"

The Olympics are significant in sport as a whole but not for tennis. It's a prestigious sporting event, but it's just not prestigious in tennis. Tennis was scrapped from the Olympics for 64 years because it was deemed to not be important enough.

·
King Of Tennis
3,237 Posts
Winning an Olympic Gold in tennis as if that's supposed to mean anything is like winning the Boys Doubles Wimbledon and calling yourself a Wimbledon champion. Yes, it's technically correct, but the title itself means jackshit and there are several more important events taking place at the tournament.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
The Olympics are significant in sport as a whole but not for tennis. It's a prestigious sporting event, but it's just not prestigious in tennis. Tennis was scrapped from the Olympics for 64 years because it was deemed to not be important enough.

Even with the video RIGHT in front of you and Novak stating clearly how much the Olympics mean to him and that he cried when he realized he wouldn't win it, you still cling to your fantasy.

Very strange for a guy like Novak to cry about a 'meaningless tournament'.

·
justice for all
16,221 Posts
My man! Fun interview to read. Thanks @Johnny Groove for sharing!

Looking forward to 2021 season to kick-off. Hopefully it will be a lot more stable year with the full calendar played.

And I'm sure Dominator will do even more damage than in 2020!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts