Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen Thiem has been handed a pretty difficult GS draw even as the 3rd seed. However, under normal circumstances, he would likely have nabbed the 2nd seed.

This is because Nadal having skipped the US Open would normally lose 2000 pts, and having lost in Rome QF would have lost 820 pts.

Of course Nadal would still be in the same half as Thiem as it stands, but you'd at least have a 50-50 chance of Nadal being on Djokovic's side, and Nadal would have the harder draw.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Well under normal circumstances RG would be played before USO, so Nadal would be almost a lock for 2nd seed......

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
Lol do you realize there is no difference between seed 2 and 3 in this draw right? I mean if he was 2nd seed he would still play nadal in the semis so

·
Registered
168 Posts
Lol do you realize there is no difference between seed 2 and 3 in this draw right? I mean if he was 2nd seed he would still play nadal in the semis so
Lol do you realize that Nadal would play Ruud, Wawrinka, Schwarzmann before Thiem in that case?
Nadal has even easier draw than Djokovic: Garin / RBA / Tsitsipas >>>>> mug / qualimug / top 10 mug / tired Thiem,
which is ironic taking into account how many threads about Djokovic draw poped up last days...

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Lol do you realize that Nadal would play Ruud, Wawrinka, Schwarzmann before Thiem in that case?
Nadal has even easier draw than Djokovic: Garin / RBA / Tsitsipas >>>>> mug / qualimug / top 10 mug / tired Thiem,
which is ironic taking into account how many threads about Djokovic draw poped up last days...
Are you insinuating RBA/PCB/Berrettini > Schwartzman?

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Are you insinuating RBA/PCB/Berrettini > Schwartzman?
Diego has cemented (baked in oven) his role as the 2020 CLAY GOAT.
Sorry Nadalitos.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Dominic's grand route to twin slam glory:

Munar - Nagal - Cilic - FAA - De Minaur - Medvedev - Zverev - Cilic - Sock - Ruud - Wawrinka - Schwartzman - Nadal - Djokovic

All in a couple of weeks.

If he pulls it off, it will be epic.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The new ranking system should be scrapped ASAP. Points should drop next year as normal. Otherwise, the unfairness will multiply.

·
|
15,485 Posts
We've all seen Thiem has been handed a pretty difficult GS draw even as the 3rd seed. However, under normal circumstances, he would likely have nabbed the 2nd seed.

This is because Nadal having skipped the US Open would normally lose 2000 pts, and having lost in Rome QF would have lost 820 pts.

Of course Nadal would still be in the same half as Thiem as it stands, but you'd at least have a 50-50 chance of Nadal being on Djokovic's side, and Nadal would have the harder draw.
Thiem played a disgracefully poor level of tennis in the US Open Final, and Nadal would have destroyed Thiem in straight sets, instead Zverev served 15 double faults to gift the US Open to Thiem.
Nadal deserves the US Open more than Thiem/Zverev.
Djokovic has lost his last 3 clay meetings with Nadal, including when Nadal bagelled and breadsticked Djokovic last year at Rome, so Djokovic is a non-factor in Nadal's draw.

·
justice for all
16,774 Posts
The new ranking system should be scrapped ASAP. Points should drop next year as normal. Otherwise, the unfairness will multiply.
But as far as I know they are supposed to drop off as of January 2021 (assuming the 2021 calendar is played normally).

·
Registered
168 Posts
In my opinion Zverev won't reach the QF this time. It will be Sinner.
possibly, still easier than RBA.
Im not complaining about Djokovic draw, both him and Nadal were lucky (IMO Nadal even more so), its horrible draw for fans of another players (incl. Federer).
Im slightly annoyed with ranking system, though, Nadal has no business to be nr.2 at the moment.

·
justice for all
16,774 Posts
Im not complaining about Djokovic draw, both him and Nadal were lucky (IMO Nadal even more so), its horrible draw for fans of another players (incl. Federer).
Im slightly annoyed with ranking system, though, Nadal has no business to be nr.2 at the moment.
Well, RBA is there yet either. I agree both Nadal's and Djokovic's draws this RG are relatively easy, especially up till the QF, potentially SF.
The ranking system is flawed and some players benefit from it more than others but OTOH it's an unusual year and there's no perfect solution to remain fair to everyone.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
But as far as I know they are supposed to drop off as of January 2021 (assuming the 2021 calendar is played normally).
I'm a bit unclear about this. I know the points from tournaments played in 2020 will drop off as normal next year (e.g. AO, Dubai etc.). But when will 2019 (e.g. IW, Miami, USO) points drop? In January 2021?

·
justice for all
16,774 Posts
I'm a bit unclear about this. I know the points from tournaments played in 2020 will drop off as normal next year (e.g. AO, Dubai etc.). But when will 2019 (e.g. IW, Miami, USO) points drop? In January 2021?
No, I think after IW, Miami, USO 2021 and same stands for all other events.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Thiem played a disgracefully poor level of tennis in the US Open Final, and Nadal would have destroyed Thiem in straight sets, instead Zverev served 15 double faults to gift the US Open to Thiem.
Djokovic has lost his last 3 clay meetings with Nadal, including when Nadal bagelled and breadsticked Djokovic last year at Rome, so Djokovic is a non-factor in Nadal's draw.
so Nadal deserves the US Open more than Thiem? Thiem beat every player that he faced, while Nadal did not even participate...
ok the whole world has gone batshit mad so i cannot blame Mtf from going from deluded tardism to all out basketcase insanity

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Nadal needed 5 sets to beat Medvedev. Thiem only needed 3.

·
Registered
19,040 Posts
Sinner absolutely destroyed RBA this year.

Sinner > RBA. RBA was hopeless and couldn‘t cope.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts