Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
He didn't have to go through projected RBA/Khachanov/Raonic (QF) and Djokovic/Tsitsipas (F) at the last slam, but pretty tired Zverev, so, ...

·
justice for all
15,146 Posts
Not just that:
R1 - Cilic
R2 - Sock
R3 - Ruud
No easy matches.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jected RBA/Khachanov/Raonic (QF) and Djokovic (F)
Well I think the results of this slam will be more Predictable...the only possible change I see is if he has to play Zverev instead of Nadal in the SF.. and still would be a complicated match..

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not just that:
R1 - Cilic
R2 - Sock
R3 - Ruud
No easy matches.
I am the most afraid of the combination of playing Wawrinka and Schwarzmann Back to back Bo5 in Chratier.. might take everything out of his tank.. could be easily potentially 2 5 setters in a row.. to just wait for Rafa on the SF (or Zverev, as second option, still quite tricky opponent)

And still has to play the final against someone that got a free pass, without facing any real opponent..

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
No.

I actually never saw a player win a slam with a draw like this and the problem is that Wawrinka and Schwartzman themselves have absolute joke draws until they meet Thiem so they can put all eggs in one basket when playing him...

·
justice for all
15,146 Posts
No.

I actually never saw a player win a slam with a draw like this and the problem is that Wawrinka and Schwartzman themselves have absolute joke draws until they meet Thiem so they can put all eggs in one basket when playing him...
This is true unfortunately.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If he survives to the Semis and meets Nadal, I would think that playing Nadal in a Semi and then Djok in the Final is a somewhat more advantageous take than having to play Djok in the Semi and Nadal in the Final again.

I would think that psychologically, playing Nadal before the Final would be better. But what do I know? Anything can happen between now and then.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
nadal will systematically dismantle and destroy him should they meet.

·
|
14,973 Posts
Thiem would beat Djokovic, but I can't imagine him having the guns to beat Nadal.
Nadal is hitting the ball insanely hard right now.

·
Rankings Master
15,872 Posts
I don't think Wawrinka reaches R4, the rest will be a real test though. He passed Cilic with flying colors though.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
No.

Koepfer can take out Wawrinka.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
If Nadal is playing well I'm afraid even if Thiem gets there at 100% stamina he's boned. That OHBH formula that Nadal has perfected over the years still too strong, especially on clay.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If he can negotiate the early rounds, he'll be fine. I'd be very surprised if both Stan and Diego play awesome. And even if they do, Dominic is just better at this stage of his career. The only risk for me is a dud performance against Sock or Ruud.

Dominic to reach the semis playing at a higher level than everybody else.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tough draw indeed but it was smart to skip Rome and Hamburg. So far, nobody in the open era has won his 2nd GS right after his maiden win, no matter what the draw. Then again, no player managed to win a GS final being 2 sets down either. Step by step. I hope Wawrinka and Thiem will meet as this promises to be a great match to watch. Single-handers do it better.

I also hope we see a Rafa vs Thiem SF. When Rafa and Thiem met in the last two finals, the pressure for Thiem to win his first GS ever was probably bigger than the pressure Rafa felt to win yet another RG. This year, Rafa will feel a bit more pressure as he is so close to the magic 20. I think Rafa cares less about records than do Nole and Roger but there is no way he can ignore history knocking.

Thiem will feel less pressure going forward. Now that Thiem has tasted blood, he will want more. That's a great spot to be in (and Rafa and Nole know it well). Less pressure, more confidence and hunger. Bamos!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts